PDA

View Full Version : Delta 34-395 3ph vs 1ph

adam peek
07-25-2011, 11:06 PM
I have been reading posts on the Creek for about a year now and this is my first time to post. I have to say that I really enjoy this forum alot and I find it inspiring and very helpful.

I just purchased a Rockwell Delta 34-395 cabinet saw from the local newspaper. I knew when I bought it that it was going to be 3ph and I was going to have to decide on a phase convertor or a new motor. Now after talking to delta I found out that model comes as a 5hp 3ph or a 5hp 1ph. I am trying to figure out how to tell which one it is. I also purchased a Rockwell delta 8" jointer at the same place and it has the same wiring configuration, the tech at Delta said it could either be 3ph or 1ph as well.

On a side note the power cable was cut off at the box located on the back side of the saw. I opened that box up and there is a black, green, white, and red wire that should come out and plug in to the receptical. I am pretty competent running 110 wire in the shop and the occasional 220 3wire set up, but 220 4wire vs 3ph is a bit over my head.

Thanks for any input!!!!!:cool:

Brian Kent
07-25-2011, 11:30 PM
Congratulations on your saw, Adam. I have no idea whatsoever about your question, but I wanted to say "Hello!"

Jaromir Svoboda
07-25-2011, 11:41 PM
It should be on the motor.

Jerry Marcantel
07-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Adam, if you have 4 wires, I'm 99.99% certain it's a 3 phase. Look on the data plate. Look for the box that is either PH., or PHASE. If you have a #1 in it, then you're lucky. If it has a # 3 in it, then it's 3 phase. You have several options. You can get a 5 hp motor from Grainger for about $400-500 or you can purchase a VFD for about the same as a motor. While looking at the data plate if it's still there, find out the horsepower that should be listed on it. ....... ....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Cary Falk
07-26-2011, 2:41 AM
3ph does not have any capacitor humps.

Karl Card
07-26-2011, 3:53 AM
It should be on the motor.

That is what I was thinking. Most all of my motors has rpm, hp, voltage, etc.. should have what phase it is also..

adam peek
07-30-2011, 1:50 AM
Thanks for everyones help. I took the motor out of the cabinet to day turns out it is a 7.5 hp 3ph. I took it to my local eletrical shop and they said the motor checked out great. Now after doing so research I will be ordering a static phase convertor so I can get my new to me delta 12-14 up and running.

David Nelson1
07-30-2011, 5:45 AM
I'd go with the rotary converter. iIt's a few more 's $, but it opens the door to so many other variables in the future. BTW that's one heck of a saw. Where the heck are the pictures.

Charles Lent
07-30-2011, 7:36 AM
You don't want a static phase converter.
For a motor that big it will not work very well, if you can even find one. Either go with a rotary phase converter or replace the motor. You can build your own rotary phase converter for this if you can find a 10 hp or larger 3 ph motor that will run on 208 - 240 volts. There are free plans on the web for doing this. You basically just start the phase converter before you want to start the saw. Once it's running and has no load it will draw very little power, so you can leave it running and ready between saw cuts. I helped a friend build a 10 hp over 30 years ago and he runs his whole home metal shop with it, one or two machines at a time.

Charley

David Nelson1
07-30-2011, 8:04 AM
1+ on Charles comment. I looked into this after I shut the machine down and moved equipment home in the early 90's, it was super expensive. Rotatory converters have dropped quite a bit since, its still expensive , but its great investment especially if you are looking for used industrial equipment. A lot of 3 ph. equipment goes cheap for just this reason.

Charlie Barnes
07-30-2011, 8:12 AM
Adam,

I just ordered a 3 phase converter yesterday for my new jointer. By the way, in another thread a few days ago, I asked the question - why was this guy selling so cheap on CL? Answer: because it was 3 phase. Anyway, I have done a lot of research and reading this last week about converters and decided to go with a unit from American Rotary. They seemed to have the best combination of product selection, reputation and warranty. Plus their tech. guys are great to deal with. The one down side of the rotary phase converter option is that normally you need to have a converter with a motor larger than the one you're wanting to power. A 7.5 hp motor is kind of large, so you might be looking at a 10 hp or larger as Charles above mentioned. That could start to run into some serious $, so swapping your motor out for a single phase unit might be a more cost effective option.

Either way, congratulations on the new purchase.

Charlie

David Kumm
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Once you psych up for the RPC it will open a whole new world for you. I use an RPC as a backup and a phase perfect as my primary source. I found my RPC was hard to balance across the 1 to 10hp range I needed and didn't work well with VFDs due to the wild manufactured leg. You absolutely want the RPC unless this is the only 3 phase you will ever get, but once you use the saw you will probably decide to continue down the used industrial road. The machines are about a million times better than current hobbyist offerings. You do need about 100 amps coming into your shop though to power the rpc and dust collector that will inevitably follow with all the other stuff that accumulates. Have fun Dave

adam peek
07-31-2011, 1:00 AM
Ok so I am not totally sold on the SPC and would rather have a RPC, my catch is i am trying to get away with a littile less cost for right now. This is going to turn into a unoffical gloat as i have not been able to take pictures and I understand with no pictures it dosn't fully count.

The loml did not fully skin me when I told her that I had found a "good deal".

My first thoughts were to take some cash I got for my 30th birthday and order one of the 10/20 sanders from grizzly. What I have really been wanting is to upgrade from my ridgid lunch box planer to a 15" staionary, but I felt that was bit out of the budget for right now. Any way I responded to a local add about some industrial cabinet shop equipment. Turns out I came home with a new to me 12-14 table saw, what I think is a gp dewalt radial arm saw and a 8" delta jointer for a sum of 350.00. The best part is after talking to the guy he tells me a buddy of his has the planer I am looking for, 15" grizzly. So i get his number and go meet him later that after noon. The planer is in great shape and so is the 42" grizzly lathe with duplicator and all of his gouges and all of his other accesories for it, plus an extra set of knives for the planer........650.00.......it gets a bit better he threw in a nice roller out feed table and a vice that I had no Idea what it was.......after some reseach I found out I have a oliver #1 pattern makers vise.
Nice part is the loml gave me the go ahead and only turned a small shade of red when it sunk in I spent a grand on "more tools" as she would say.

So back to the original part of this post If I tell my wife I am spending any other chunk of change she might shoot me. I have two other table saws and two other jointers and another radial arm saw........The new ones are just way way bigger and way way cooler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it sound crazy to any of you all if i said i was really considering down sizing the motor to a 1ph 3hp. I am just not sure if i need that monster of a motor, also that is my reasoning other than the cost factor for the static phase converter. My understanding is I would lose about 1/3 hp form the 7.5 and as long as I do not over tax the motor it should not hurt it, then after some time I can upgrade to a RPC when its back in the budget if I find I need to.

David Nelson1
07-31-2011, 6:04 AM
To me, if you have tooling already that works, store the 3 phase equipment till such time that you can afford the correct converter. Yeah I know it's tough, but it sounds like you got over the hump with the wife. Save up and bring the tools online without dissecting them. BTW you suck with or without pictures. I will upgrade when you provide the visual output we all need. :D

Bill ThompsonNM
07-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Or perhaps you could sell a tablesaw and use the money for an RPC?

Don Jarvie
07-31-2011, 9:49 PM
While a 5hp is ideal for that saw you can get away with a 3hp. I just picked up a 3ph AO Smith brand new off the bay for 200 hundred for my PM 66.

If any other the other tools are 3 phase then a RPC is the way to go. If this is it, it may be easier to swap out the motor for a 1 phase.

New 5hp motors are around 500 so the 3hp is a bit more ecomonical.

Karl Card
07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
I know the feeling. it is hard not to want to have the 7.5 hp motor running. As others have said maybe sell what you arent going to want and maybe that will get you your rpc.