PDA

View Full Version : Honing fluid surprise to me

Don Carkhuff
02-17-2005, 3:47 PM
I have been re-reading old issues of Woodwork. Issue #38, April 1996 has an article about sharpening stones and honing fluids. 2 different representatives that manufacture stones were interviewed. They both concured that using water on an oil stones is fine. Norton was one rep and Smith abrasives (arkansas stone) was the other. The only exception to this are stoned that are pre-filled with oil at the factory. These stones however are usually only sold to industry. Stones for the homecraftsman and sold in blister packs are not pre-filled.
A quote, "the fluid's only function is to keep the metal particles and fractured abrasive in suspendion so they can be washed away. The last thing we want is to lubricate. We want friction and abrasive."
This article sure comes as a complete surprise to me. I wonder why they are called "oil stones". Even the manufactures don't recommend oil, yet they sell honing oil????
The article said that you can wash your present stones in strong detergent and/or dishwasher to get rid of any oil you have used in the past. As long as the water wets the stone and doesn't just bead up on the surface, it will work as a cutting fluid.
Have any of you routinely used water as a honing fluid?
Don

Donnie Raines
02-17-2005, 3:54 PM
I use water on my water stone's...but not on an oil stone(or vise versa). Water stones are more agressive in the way they cut(the pores are larger..thus the cutting action is greater).

Maybe they were talking about water stones within the oil stone thread?

Don Carkhuff
02-17-2005, 4:02 PM
No Don,
They were talking about OIL STONES. That's why I'm so surprised.

Greg Mann
02-17-2005, 4:29 PM
Don,

Honing oil is not designed to lubricate. I'm guessing the oil they would like you to wash out is mis-applied lubricating oil.

Greg

Donnie Raines
02-17-2005, 4:40 PM
Not really answering your question...but...

I used oil on an old water stone once and it did not cut(I was curious). I tried water on an oil stone and did not notice much diffrence in the way it cut.

Again..for what that's worth...