PDA

View Full Version : Auction Tool Gloat

Paul Maue
07-25-2011, 9:04 PM
During my free time at work, I like to check out craigslist and auction web sites to see wants available. Usually I can't take advantage of anything out there. But last week I was that there was going to be an auction of a Woodworking Shop in my area. Well this I just couldn't pass up because one of the main items was a Nova DVR XL. I knew that I wouldn't have the funds for that but I could at least pick up some accessories. Well I got there early saturday and looked around to see what was available. Along with the lathe I saw 4 supernova chucks, cole jaws, a box of tool rests, about 30 different gouges, a wolverine grinding station and a Powermatic 14" band saw w/6" riser block. My eyes just kind of glazed over looking thru the various boxes as I planned out what I would buy with my limited funds. Well auction time finally got started and they began going thru the various small items, boxes and other machinery before getting to the lathe items. When they started on the gouges, they grouped them together as one unit instead of selling them individually for one money. Well when the dust settled and my pockets were empty, and winning 4 different bids, this is what I came home with:
Bid 1
Sorby Swan neck Scaper
P & N 1/2 bowl gouge w Aluminum Handle
Henry taylor 1/4" bowl gouge

Bid2
Sorby 1 1/2" Scraper
Sorby 1" Scraper
Sorby 1/2" bowl Gouge
Sorby 1" skew
Sorby 3/4" Roughing gouge
Gladstone 1/2 Beddan
Steele X gouge

Bid3
Supernova Chuck w serrated jaws
2 - 50mm jaws
1 serrated 1" pin/step jaws
2MT reamer

Bid4 box lot
Live center set
2 - Cone live centers
WoodRiver Deluxe Drive center 4 prong
Beall Tool 1 1/4-8 tap
Micro mesh sanding cloth
pen blank
Stanley awl

I love a good auction

Pete Jordan
07-25-2011, 9:17 PM
Wow!!

What a haul!

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2011, 9:25 PM
Nice bunch of tools, hope you got them at a good price!

Jeff

charlie knighton
07-25-2011, 9:28 PM
double Wow, did they say who the woodturner was??

estate autions have plenty of saws, broken drills, axes, but real woodturning tools and chucks, amazing

you did good

Jon Prouty
07-25-2011, 9:41 PM
How much did you end up spending on that beautiful lot of loot?

JP

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Now that is a nice haul.

Paul Maue
07-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Jon

Once I got back from the auction I sat down and looked up what each item cost new. All total it would have been over $950 worth of tools that I got at a third of the cost. My biggest disapointment, but someone elses gloat is that the auctioneer bundled many boxes of accessories with the lathe purchase. Included with the lathe the auctioneer added several boxes that had 3 supernova chucks, 5 various tool rests, and many more little accessories that someone got for $1200. The lathe alone probably would have sold for that amount. The bid winner has a great starting setup.

Gary Conklin
07-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Sweet score! Right time right place!!

Sid Matheny
07-26-2011, 12:19 AM
You could have been a little easier on us by just posting one of those groups over a 4 day period. Seeing that many goodies at one time is more than most of us can stand! :eek:

Sid