PDA

View Full Version : Disston D100 and Stanley 64 spokeshave

Mark Baldwin III
07-25-2011, 9:01 PM
I did a little shopping this weekend and found two tools that I quite liked. First was a Disston D100, 18" plate with 11pp, filed cross cut. As best as I can tell, it was made between 1928 and 1940 (going off of the medallion). It has a pretty good etch, but I can't get it to show in the photo. Second was a Stanely no. 64 spokeshave, of the Sweetheart variety.

Archie England
07-25-2011, 9:48 PM
great finds! That #64 is quite a nimble little user. Gitter sharp and letter rip!!!!

Arch

Tim Atkins
07-27-2011, 4:14 PM
The D100 is great find. I have a similar one. Really cuts fine.

Mark Baldwin III
07-27-2011, 5:57 PM
I thought that for $15 for the saw and $7 for the spokeshave I was doing ok, and adding at least one needed tool to the shop (the saw). I got the spokeshave primarily because it was an SW. There were 2 other tools that I wish I could have grabbed but didn't have the cash...a Stanley router and an Ohio jointer. It was the first wooden jointer that I've seen in the wild that was in usable condition.
I've got to take a little time and sharpen the saw up. It's a nice small size and I like the tooth count.

john brenton
07-27-2011, 6:21 PM
I have a panel saw about that size that was in a carpenters box. I didn't think much of it when I saw it but now I use it constantly for anything under 4/4. Even though I had to refile the whole thing (it suffered from severe peg tooth) and I didn't do a great job on it, it still cuts like a dream. Straight, fast with a clean surface. Its not a very high quality saw though...I'd love the LN panel saw. I handled it at highland and it was awesome.

Bill Houghton
07-27-2011, 9:07 PM
I have a Stanley 63 and 64. One's a Sweetheart and is a great little tool; the other isn't, and isn't.

Mark Baldwin III
07-27-2011, 9:25 PM
I have a Stanley 63 and 64. One's a Sweetheart and is a great little tool; the other isn't, and isn't.
I have three spokeshaves. One is a Veritas low angle (a very nice tool, btw), the other two are SW's. I keep an eye out for the SW logo on tools when I'm hunting. I have no sweetheart planes, but I have a couple smaller tools like the spokeshaves and a really nice combo square. They seem to be from the era when a brand name meant something. One of my panel saws is also a sweetheart and it is exceptional. My investment in SW tools is hardly more than $30. The quality cannot be matched by modern tools for several times that amount!
One of these days I'll spend some time really learning how to use my spokeshaves. My other SW is the dual cutter version. It has a flat and a round. I'm no good at sharpening profiled tools at the moment...but I'll get there.

Randy Millar
11-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I have a No. 64 Stanley spoke shave which I use every day to carve the soft shoulders of Greenland Kayak paddles that I sell. The problem I have is not knowing where I can get a blade for it as I'm worried I will wear it out. I definitely need a spare, no other too works as well and would like to purchase your spokeshave if you are interested in selling it. randy@vipaddles.com

Mark Baldwin III
11-05-2012, 5:47 AM
Randy-I'm not really looking to sell that one. But you're right...that's a hard blade to find. I might be able to find or make them though. If I do, I'll give you a shout.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I was pretty sure Hock Tools made a replacement blade for those #64 shaves.

Mark Baldwin III
11-05-2012, 7:05 PM
I was pretty sure Hock Tools made a replacement blade for those #64 shaves.
I had a look and didn't see them. They make a similar blade, but it is wider. I could use one or two myself, so I think this calls for some blade making!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-05-2012, 8:28 PM
Is the 64 the 1 3/4" wide one?

The Hock Tools site isn't super clear at times, but it appears they make one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000576/36049/hock-o1-134-spokeshave-blade-with-u-slot.aspx

http://www.fine-tools.com/eisen.htm (search for part # 307634 on that page)

I believe these would then be the Hock Tools part # SP175, but I could be wrong. Perhaps an email to Ron would be in order.

Mark Baldwin III
11-06-2012, 5:09 AM
Is the 64 the 1 3/4" wide one?

The Hock Tools site isn't super clear at times, but it appears they make one:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2000576/36049/hock-o1-134-spokeshave-blade-with-u-slot.aspx

http://www.fine-tools.com/eisen.htm (search for part # 307634 on that page)

I believe these would then be the Hock Tools part # SP175, but I could be wrong. Perhaps an email to Ron would be in order.
That's the one, Joshua. Good find. Hock's site was the first place I looked for that blade and didn't see it. I was going to have some made, but since they are available, there's not much point.