PDA

View Full Version : Point tool help

Todd Bin
07-25-2011, 6:08 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a point tool (pyramid tool). I would also like to buy a nice handle that the tool can slide down into when not in use or for transport. I can't remember where I saw some really nice ones. Can one of you point me to a nice tool maker which I can purchase these items and maybe a good handle recommendation.

Thanks,
Todd

Pete Jordan
07-25-2011, 6:38 PM
Todd,

I bought a nice one from WoodturnerTools.com but I guess they are no longer in business.

Bill Bulloch
07-25-2011, 7:05 PM
Todd,

I bought a nice one from WoodturnerTools.com but I guess they are no longer in business.

Todd, did you mean Woodturnerscatalog.com? They are still in business and have the Henry Taylor pointed tool for $29.99. It comes with the handle. I have never used a pointed tool or a Henry Taylor, so I cannot endorse either.

Tim Rinehart
07-25-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/product/product_id/38029/category_id/15887/product_name/High+Speed+Ground+Round+Tool+Bits
Todd, a point tool is probably among the easiest and cheapest of tools to make. The link is to just one possible source, there's plenty others that sell tools for local machining similarly. This is for a 3/8" x 8" long piece of HSS, under 4 bucks. Shove it in handle and you're good to go....of course after putting the three points on it.
You can take the money you save and help by being a contributor too!;)

Harry Robinette
07-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Todd check out Thompson tools he has handles that work like you said for transporting. I think he sales the steel to make point tools also.

Eric Holmquist
07-26-2011, 7:13 AM
Point tools and round skews are amongst the easiest DIY tools you can make. You can get 3/8" HSS round tool bit stock from a variety of sources (Wholesale Tool, Enco, MSC), and like Harry mentioned Thompson sells 3/8" PM rods. I went with the Thompson rods and now have a Thompson point tool after just a few minutes work on the grinder.

A few minutes work to make a tool handle from some small piece of hardwood and you are all set for around $5. I find it very satisfying to make some of my tools.

Todd Bin
07-26-2011, 9:01 AM
Thanks for all of the help. I just contributed to the creek. I had done that a few years ago but my subscription ran out.

~Todd