PDA

View Full Version : 8 " GO490X Grizz jointer with spiral cutter head

bruce buren
07-25-2011, 6:06 PM
Just about to order the GO490X jointer from Grizz. This is the 8" jointer with the spiral cutter head on it. I figured with the summer sale and 10% off nows the time. What do you 490X owners think? Are you happy with this machine?? I have read a lot of the threads on here relating to the 490X, just need some reassurance before I pull the trigger!:D

Thanks

glenn bradley
07-25-2011, 6:23 PM
If you've read the threads then you know that nearly everyone likes them. I love mine and cringe every time someone buys a knifed jointer. That's just me as I bought mine to resolve problems working with figured woods. Compared to my knifed machine it is smoother, quieter and the surface is just great. I have had it since May of 2008 and the spiral head has pretty much paid for itself already; I am just beginning to suspect that I should turn the inserts. I used to sharpen my steel knives about 3 times a year so the difference in edge life is pretty significant.

Your machine will be the new generation so you will not have to do the "fixes" we of the older machines had to do. None of these were painful during assembly and my thanks go out to those who documented things like closing off the top of the open chute to improve dust collection (yours is made closed), elevating the belt guard and using link-belts to stop the "belt slap" problem (yours comes with machined pulleys and a serpentine belt). I would pull the trigger immediately, no buyer's remorse here. I was so impressed after a couple years of use that I bought the spiral head 15" planer awhile back. I actually get to use all of my figured walnut and birdseye maple now instead of making scrap boards due to tearout. . . . Do I sound happy?

david paul miller
07-25-2011, 6:25 PM
got mine 2 weeks ago, love it, no complaints,

Jim German
07-26-2011, 7:49 AM
Had mine for a year or so, very happy with it.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2011, 8:32 AM
I have had mine for 11 months. Just got around to doing some seriously jointing with it last week. It works great! I am considering a Byrd head for my Ridgid planer or a new planer with a spiral head.

Mike Goetzke
07-26-2011, 8:50 AM
I bought the 490 at the end of last year and added a Byrd head myself - for some reason it was cheaper that way back then. I previously had a 6" knifed jointer and the 490 w/spiral head is an unbelievable upgrade. Only issue I had was that the parallelogram beds were way out of whack when I got mine. If you don't have one I suggest getting a quality straight edge - I bought a 38" aluminum one at Leevalley for about $40. Took me forever to get the beds set right. Ended up they had too many shims under one of the cutter heads bearing blocks. If you need help on this PM me.

Mike

David Kumm
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Glenn, It's not any more fair to cringe when someone buys a straight knife jointer than to cringe when someone buys a grizzly jointer. Shelix heads are a huge upgrade but in large part due to the decrease in machine quality that has taken place over the years. The byrd is great-particularly when replacing a small diameter, not that well balanced cutterhead spinning on mediocre bearings on a thin sheet metal stand. When jointers were built with 5" well balanced cutterheads spinning on ABEC 7 bearings on a cast iron base absorbing all vibration, straight knives gave a great finish with little if no tearout- depending on how the knives were sharpened. Granted, life is a trade off. I have replaced straight knife heads with Byrds as well but my old Porter 300 with knives is still WAY BETTER than my DJ20. For about the same money. Dave

glenn bradley
07-26-2011, 4:10 PM
Dave, That Porter is a sweet machine and I am sure it is a joy to use. As you say, we are talking about two totally different animals.

Randy Hock
07-26-2011, 6:33 PM
So, how does the Grizzly spiral cutterhead compare to the Byrd? Should I buy the 490 and change out the head to a Byrd or is the 490x so close to the Byrd that it does not matter.Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tim Morton
07-26-2011, 7:14 PM
I just took delivery of the G0656p 8" jointer and was very disappointed with the build quality. I sent them pictures of a few of the problem spots and asked them to replace it....i have no way of knowing until i hear from them if i got a lemon, or if I am being too picky.

Mike Goetzke
07-26-2011, 7:38 PM
So, how does the Grizzly spiral cutterhead compare to the Byrd? Should I buy the 490 and change out the head to a Byrd or is the 490x so close to the Byrd that it does not matter.Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I have a Byrd head on my jointer and a Griz on my planer. Both cut well. Someone at Griz told me the Byrd can take off a bigger cut but the Griz leaves a smoother finish. I don't think there is a big enough difference to choose one over the other.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
07-26-2011, 7:49 PM
Glen, I also own a straight knife machine that works flawlessy, it's a Hammer A3-31.

I personally don't have a need to spend an extra $1,000 for almost zero improvement.

So don't cringe too hard over me buying a $4,000 straight knife machine.................Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2011, 7:57 PM
Glen, I also own a straight knife machine that works flawlessy, it's a Hammer A3-31.

I personally don't have a need to spend an extra $1,000 for almost zero improvement.

So don't cringe too hard over me buying a $4,000 straight knife machine.................Regards, Rod.

Only if you will forgive me for spending $1200 for a spiral head machine. The jointer is the least used of my big machines and I frankly didn't care to spend anymore than I did.

dean corkum
07-26-2011, 7:59 PM
Just about to order the GO490X jointer from Grizz. This is the 8" jointer with the spiral cutter head on it. I figured with the summer sale and 10% off nows the time. What do you 490X owners think? Are you happy with this machine?? I have read a lot of the threads on here relating to the 490X, just need some reassurance before I pull the trigger!:D

Thanks
I bought the Go490 in June 2010 and replaced the head with a Byrd this spring. Love the Byrd. So much easier pushing the board along the tables and no more adjusting the knives. For the money this jointer is hard to beat. My only complaint is the table adjustment nuts. They are not true 6 sided thick nuts but thin 2 sided nuts that require a pin wrench to adjust. You can't get a socket wrench on them. The Go495x has a true 6 sided thick nut that would allow you adjust the tables much easier with a socket wrench.

Kent Wagner
07-27-2011, 6:33 PM
I just took delivery of the G0656p 8" jointer and was very disappointed with the build quality. I sent them pictures of a few of the problem spots and asked them to replace it....i have no way of knowing until i hear from them if i got a lemon, or if I am being too picky.

Tim, If I can ask, what was wrong with it?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-27-2011, 7:00 PM
As Tim's problem involves a different model and therefore is really "off topic" for the OPs thread, I would like to suggest Tim start a new thread and Kent can get his queston answered there.

Thanks.

Tim Morton
07-27-2011, 7:22 PM
As Tim's problem involves a different model and therefore is really "off topic" for the OPs thread, I would like to suggest Tim start a new thread adn Kent can get his queston answered there.

Thanks.

you can delete my post if you want ken...

bruce buren
08-01-2011, 1:53 PM
I just ordered the 490x. Thanks to everyone for there input

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
08-01-2011, 2:19 PM
Bruce.....the last couple days I've been really using my G0490X and I am really enjoying it.

The fit and finish is "okay" but......it works like a charm once set up. I have jointed some pieces of oak 84" long and it has performed flawlessly.

One thing I did do when it arrived. I removed the covers, removed all set screws and reinstalled using blue Lock-tite on every set screw in the machine. There have been a number of reports of things loosening up shortly after delivery. I can't help but wonder if the vibration of being transported on a ship doesn't cause this. I spent 8 years in the Navy and I know their eletronics were built with some pretty rigid specifications and mountings to deal with vibration.

Just before I started this project, I cleaned the beds and waxed them with Minwax paste finishing wax. I am very satisfied with the way the machine performs.