PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 5:27 PM
Hit this with the chainsaw AND the band saw. Ugh...

Dane Fuller
07-25-2011, 5:30 PM
That's what scares me about cutting anything down that was in a fence line. I wonder how affordable small hand held metal detectors are?

charlie knighton
07-25-2011, 5:35 PM
if you can incorperate the hole in form and insert the wire when you finish if will be pretty neat, someone else did that with a nail or screw

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 5:52 PM
Dane, usually, I know what I have and would have known about any metal. This came form someone else, so I had no idea, and wasn't even thinking about it...

Charlie, it is so close to the edge of the blank, I think I will end up having to turn it out. But incorporating it would be above my skill set anyway...

Donny Lawson
07-25-2011, 6:05 PM
Looks like a new saw blade would be in order. I brought home a nice spalted maple trunk a few months back and could not wait to see what was inside. My 16" saw wasn't near big enough for the job so I waited until I got my new 20" saw and then I thought I'd better check it first. I'm glad I did. My detector spotted something about 6" deep about 6-7" long. So now it's pushed off in the weeds. I don't want to waste a 30 dollar blade on a nail. If I can find an old chain to fit I might try it but for now it will sit and rot. I've got a nice metal detector and it is well worth it. The hand held ones are nice but they will not pick up something 5-7 inches deep like this one will. Most of them only go about 1-2".

James Combs
07-25-2011, 6:20 PM
Hit this with the chainsaw AND the band saw. Ugh...

I made an almost identical post a couple months back so... been there done that but am definitely not planning on a second time.

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 6:32 PM
Donny, believe it or not, the chainsaw chain still cut just fine after that. Cut up a bunch more blanks AFTER hitting it. Likewise, my band saw blade seems none the worse. It is a $40 blade that apparently can cut metal, too. I think it is the Diemaster 2.

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 6:33 PM
Yeah, James, I'd like to avoid it in the future...

Joe Herrmann
07-25-2011, 6:33 PM
The dark stain on the top surface is a dead give away for iron.

Jon Nuckles
07-25-2011, 7:20 PM
What brand of bandsaw blade are you using, Mike? Not only did it cut the metal and survive, but it looks like a pretty clean cut as well!

Steve Vaughan
07-25-2011, 8:16 PM
That would be cool to be able to find a way to incorporate that into the turning. I've got a chuck of pine from a 27" log that I was having sawn at the mill about 20 years ago when the blade starting making a funny noise. The sawyer rejected that section of log, so I chainsaw'd it out, and started splitting and found a horseshoe that was nailed to the tree when it was about 2 1/2" in diameter. Sure can mess things up though.

Jim Burr
07-25-2011, 8:22 PM
Awww come on Mike...with that fancy new lathe you can do wonders! Have a lash at it dude!!

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 9:10 PM
Ahhhh, yes, my LATHE can handle it, but I am lacking... :)

Steve, a horseshoe would be an UNlucky find...no matter what direction it was situated in the wood...

Jon, I use the Lennox Diemaster 2 in 1/2" blade. Very happy with it. So much so, I ordered two of them in 1/4" for my 18" band saw.

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2011, 9:20 PM
Mike, I have been there more times than I care to recall! In 28 years of sawing lumber and longer ofr firewood I have found some crazy things in trees. The craziest was a huge butternut that had died and was cut down for firewood, but the guy could never get through the trunk from about 3' up to about 9' up, so after ruining to chains he gave up. A few weeks later he told my dad about it and we went to see what we could get out of it for lumber. It did not show any metal in it with the metal detector so we just started slowly cutting down through the log until we got close to where the chain saw cuts were. We chipped out the wood and someone had pushed concrete up from a big knot from an old limb up the 9'! It was crazy for sure. But along with bullets, broadheads, railroad spikes, ceramic wire insulators, copper electical wire and nails and screws by the hundreds, one never knows what you will find in a tree!

Good luck with it to finish,

Jeff

Jim Underwood
07-25-2011, 11:15 PM
What's bad is when you put the metal in the tree yourself, but then forget about it, and then hit it with not only the chainsaw and the bandsaw, but your lathe tools too....

I dug the staples out and continued turning... after I sharpened the bowl gouge. I guess it served me right for fastening that fence to a cherry tree...

Mike Cruz
07-26-2011, 7:55 AM
Jeff, we have a tree on our property that has RR spikes in it. They lead up to the deer stand. People will use anything. I pitty the person that cuts that tree into firewood in 50 years...

Jim, yeah, I suppose you only have yourself to blame it YOU put them there. :)

Chris Burgess
07-26-2011, 6:18 PM
It's great that nothing was ruined but better that you foundit before spinning it at 1500RPM's sending it flying in which ever direction it decides todo some real damage. I have not found any metal in my wood yet but I have only been cutting myself for abt 1 year. Sure I will have stories like this in the near future as most of my wood is from urban forestry.