View Full Version : Don't hate me because I'm gloatful

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 5:24 PM
Well, I've been looking for a sand blaster for a little while now. I've seen them come up from time to time for what I would be willing to spend on one... $50. But, they've all been about an hour away, and when you figure in gas, well, there really isn't that much of a savings over a new one... So, I finally found one...an hour away. BUT, I was going to be going through that town anyway. The guy wanted $60. I was fine with that. I got to his house, he asked if I wanted to hook it up to see it work. I said yes. We hooked it up to a 150 gallon compresser. The pressure gauge shot up to 90 psi. I flipped the toggle switch and a bunch of VERY moist air shot out in a quick burst...then nothing. I turned off the toggle. Flipped it back on. Quick burst of air...then nothing. This kept happening over and over. Puzzled, we started to take the clips off of the hoses to take a better look. Then I realized what would be involved in taking this thing apart, and just asked the question... What's the lowest you'll take for it. "Uh, $40...$30.", he replied. Yeah, I'll take it for that. So, for 30 bucks I took her home.

Got her home, disconnected everthing, and sure enough, wet caked sand EVERYWHERE. Nothing a hose, compressed air, and a phillips head screw driver couldn't clear. Hooked it all back together and it's running right as rain. I'm happy. :D

Phil Thien
07-25-2011, 8:16 PM
That should certainly come in handy for all the restorations you do.

Of course, now that you have it all the gloats you find will be pristine.

But that would be okay, too.

ray hampton
07-25-2011, 8:44 PM
Thirty dollars are SCRAP price but still good deal

Walter Plummer
07-25-2011, 8:44 PM
We used a Harbor Freight one for the Oliver jointer. Worked well but takes longer than you would think. If it didn't come with an extra ceramic nozzle or two order a couple. We wore out at least one on the jointer. You also need the head gear. Use safety goggles under the hood and at least a paper respirator. The sand will find a way up in your face. I do know that from experience.

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 9:16 PM
I had borrowed a very similar model to this one from a fellow Creeker to restore my PM90. My 60 gallon compressor has a challenge keeping up with it...but it works. I actually use my lathe face shield for sand blasting. I do it outside, of course. No biggie with sand coming back at me. I found the hood thing WAY too claustrophobic for me.

Phil, if that is what it takes for me to get pristine gloats, SO BE IT!!!!!!!!!

BTW, the title of my thread was supposed to be a pun on the old TV commercials... "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" slogan... Not sure that is being picked up on. :o

Phil Thien
07-25-2011, 9:30 PM
BTW, the title of my thread was supposed to be a pun on the old TV commercials... "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" slogan... Not sure that is being picked up on. :o

So now you're calling all of us dumb?

He comes here, shows us these awesome deals he is getting, tells us he is beautiful, and now we're all stupid.

Some people have a lot of nerve. :)

BTW, do you have any immediate projects for that thing? What are you going to use it on first?

Dan Hintz
07-26-2011, 6:29 AM
Hey, we ain't as stupid as you think we is!

Mike Cruz
07-26-2011, 7:59 AM
Well, at first, I thoght it would be obvious. Then with a lot of views but few responses, I thought people may have thought I was bragging more than just gloating. So, I thought I'd explain...suppose it wasn't necessary. I also was wondering if that slogon may have burned into my memory more than it did with others. Guess not...

And Dan, I don't think you're stupid. But if you do who am I to argue?... :rolleyes: :D :D

Stephen Cherry
07-26-2011, 8:23 AM
I've been trying to buy myself a belated fathers day present, but Mike Cruz has the local craigslists locked up. Within 15 minutes of a nice item listing, he's already made an apointment to pick it up at a giveaway price.

I had to settle for an old boat 500 miles outside of the Maryland area.

203109 203110

Phil Thien
07-26-2011, 8:38 AM
I had to settle for an old boat 500 miles outside of the Maryland area.

The only hobby that will burn money faster than woodworking is owning a boat.

Enjoy it, it looks like a blast.

Chip Lindley
07-26-2011, 1:25 PM
Nice grab Mike! I had the same problem. I had an older scroll saw I could not unload on CL. Ended up trading it for an almost-new sandblaster similar to yours. Since the guy brought it to me and I did not have to drive, that was the deal maker. We are both happy now!

~~Chip~~

Dan Hintz
07-26-2011, 1:44 PM
So when are we all going fishing, Steve? :D

I'll drive :p

Mike Cruz
07-26-2011, 2:13 PM
Fish, on THAT boat? HA! You'll be going too fast for ANY fish to bite. Except maybe a Mako...:rolleyes::D

Mike Cruz
07-26-2011, 2:19 PM
Sorry, Phil, I blew right past your question...

I have a 120+ year old Lathe and Morse Tool Company lathe that I want to blast down and repaint for resale. It doesn't have the original paint now, so I'm not worried about "devaluing" it.