PDA

View Full Version : New Delivery Truck

James Combs
07-25-2011, 4:15 PM
With all the wood working and turnings I have been doing I felt that I needed a new delivery vehicle.:cool: I had to do some minor work on it though.:rolleyes::D

Some of its Custom Features Include:
Cherry Cab Top
Cherry Cab Rear
Cherry Doors
Cherry Fenders w/Walnut Accents
Cherry Firewall/Front Window Frame
Cherry Hood
Maple Head Lights w/Button Lens
Maple Wheel Hubs/Spokes
Maple(Birdseye) Hub Caps
Oak Bed
Oak Bed Supports (cross beams)
Oak Racks
Oak Radiator
Walnut Box Base (sub bed)
Walnut Frame (main base)
Walnut Seat
Walnut Tires
Walnut/Maple Steering Wheel
Finish is primed with rattle can shellac, finish coat of WOP

I found it (the plan) while browsing an old (1996) copy of Wood Magazine. Didn't like the wheels so I turned my own. Other turnings included the custom Birdseye Maple hub caps, Walnut rim steering wheel and Maple head lights.

This is the truck shown on the plans. Note the ugly wheels. This one is shown full of straw. I only have a couple bails so they don't show up very well in the thumbnails.

These give you some idea of the customizing sequence.;)

This is my version of the finished Truck. Now would someone out there happen to have the opposite of a shrink ray.;) As it is it is only about 18 inches long.

Of course C&C welcomed. BTW it is designed as a puzzle. It breaks down to the many components that you see in the thumbnails.

Roger Chandler
07-25-2011, 4:21 PM
Geez, JD,

That is just tool cool....:cool:........I'm not a kid, but I would play with that one! Maybe I still have a little bit of young-un in me!:)

Tim Thiebaut
07-25-2011, 6:26 PM
Oh now this is just to cool, I love out of the norm stuff like this, you did an awesome job on it as well.

Dennis Ford
07-25-2011, 6:34 PM
That looks like it was a lot of work. It came out great, your customization added to an already nice design.

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 6:37 PM
Very cool! When I first saw you list, I was like WHAT? You decked out an ENTIRE truck with wood? Hehe, I just love it. We should all have one. Great job.

Ed Morgano
07-25-2011, 6:51 PM
James, that is beautiful. I've made a few toy trucks but nothing to compare to this!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-25-2011, 7:13 PM
OK Jimmy, That's It!!! You've officially made my hate list. I am jealous of your skills with miniatures. Fortunately, I will get over it and surely will like you again sometime in the future but for now.......... That's a wonderful wooden model and you did an amazing job.
faust

Sid Matheny
07-25-2011, 7:22 PM
Now that is a beauty in anyone's book! Now where did you get the little hay baler to make the little hay bales? :D

Sid

Jim Burr
07-25-2011, 8:43 PM
Ha!!! And one no doubt sir only you can complete! Bravo!!!

John Keeton
07-25-2011, 8:48 PM
JD, when you emailed me the pic, I had no idea of the complexity of this project. Very, very impressive undertaking! Great work on the detailing, and finish work, too. Even the flat work is good!!

ray hampton
07-25-2011, 9:05 PM
the grocery store that take all of my money had a full size wooden truck in the store for a while , I wish that they had kept it on display longer

James Combs
07-26-2011, 2:24 AM
Geez, JD, That is just tool cool....:cool:........I'm not a kid, but I would play with that one! Maybe I still have a little bit of young-un in me!:)

Roger I am sure we all have a little bit of "young-un" in us or we wouldn't enjoy playing with spinney things so much.;)

Oh now this is just to cool, I love out of the norm stuff like this, you did an awesome job on it as well.

That looks like it was a lot of work. It came out great, your customization added to an already nice design.

Tim/Dennis, thanks, I thought the original design looked a little plan so dressing it up a bit was almost mandatory for me.

Very cool! When I first saw you list, I was like WHAT? You decked out an ENTIRE truck with wood? Hehe, I just love it. We should all have one. Great job.

I can see where you could get that impression, the list of features puts the photos off the screen and of course that "was not" intentional.:rolleyes:

OK Jimmy, That's It!!! You've officially made my hate list. I am jealous of your skills with miniatures. Fortunately, I will get over it and surely will like you again sometime in the future but for now.......... That's a wonderful wooden model and you did an amazing job.
faust

Ah come on Faust, can't we just get along.;):D

James, that is beautiful. I've made a few toy trucks but nothing to compare to this!

This is my third effort in the way of vehicular toys.

I also did a Auburn Boat-tail Speedster
And a Model T Postal Truck(bank). It used an old post office box as the rear door.

Now that is a beauty in anyone's book! Now where did you get the little hay baler to make the little hay bales? :D

Sid

I only have two bails at the moment that I got from a Craft shop. However, I have been thinking about how I might go about building a small baler and bailing my on. Believe it or not those toy bails run upwards of $1.50 a piece and the truck will hold something close to 25 or more.

Ha!!! And one no doubt sir only you can complete! Bravo!!!

Thanks Jim.

JD, when you emailed me the pic, I had no idea of the complexity of this project. Very, very impressive undertaking! Great work on the detailing, and finish work, too. Even the flat work is good!!

John It did take some time to complete. I spent about two solid weeks on it but then I am slow.;)

the grocery store that take all of my money had a full size wooden truck in the store for a while , I wish that they had kept it on display longer

Ray, I sure would have liked to seen one that size.

Again thanks everyone for your comments, however no one mention where I could find an enlargement ray. :):rolleyes:

Karl Card
07-26-2011, 3:36 AM
Back in Tennessee there was a guy who had an old ford truck from the very early part of the century. Well the frame and motor was still good but the body was, well, not there.. So he was a woodworker too and decided to make something different. He made the complete body out of wood and pretty much won every car/truck show entered.

Jim Underwood
07-26-2011, 8:50 AM
Sweet! Love those vehicles James... Seems I saw the plan for that truck on the web somewhere recently... for free. I may have even downloaded it...

So many projects, so little time...

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
That is just to cool. Really well done James.

Robert McGowen
07-26-2011, 4:25 PM
That is a very impressive little truck, James! Looks great!

Steve Campbell
07-26-2011, 8:58 PM
Very very nice. I have made several trucks. I used to make construction models. I have not done any for a while now. It is fun but I must admit I do only work on them when I am in the right frame of mind or I make mistakes.
Again great truck.

Steve

Baxter Smith
07-26-2011, 9:49 PM
Great job on the truck James. It is one of the nicest ones I have seen. I don't know if you have meant for it to be somewhat of a toy but I would think it would be a lot of fun to take apart and put together with some little one!