PDA

View Full Version : The "collecting" vortex >>>>

Paulo Marin
07-25-2011, 2:15 PM
One major drawback when you transform a hobby into a business is the lack of time to enjoy the hobby like it was before. You are then pressed into schedules and other constraints. On the other hand, you start paying attention to some beautiful stuff people make and you become more of a collector.

Sometimes I get in the mail some turnings from happy customers and I assure you it is a great thing when you open the package and you see a thank you note with a beautiful turning inside. But I also like to purchase art from other people.

This past weekend a post at Woodcentral from Charlie Belden caught my eye when he spoke highly of Barbara Dill’s work and study of multi-axis work. I visited her website and found her work to be extremely comprehensive and was astonished to know that she started woodturning in 1990 after being a nurse for 21 years. Her treatise of “off-center” work is fantastic and in my opinion creative and informative.

I know I will be buying some of Barbara turnings which I find exquisite, but in the meantime I fell into a “different vortex” (as you guys call it) and I acquired a piece from Steve Garrison.

Steve is a unique individual. He is extremely humble, pleasant and soft spoken. I find Steve’s approach unique and outside the box. I am sharing with you guys a picture of my acquisition and invite you all to spend some time at Steve’s site and see for yourself how ingenious he is.

In case you feel like visiting Steve Garrison, his link is: stevengarrison.com
And in case you are interested to see Barbara's work visit here: barbaradill.com

Hope you guys enjoy it! :)

Paulo Marin

Rick Markham
07-25-2011, 3:09 PM
Paulo, thanks for posting the links. Steve's work is pretty amazing, I love his shells. Good choice on the one you picked, it's very beautiful. I haven't started collecting other turners works (yet) but hopefully one day I will. Barbara has some great looking work as well. I really enjoyed looking at both sites, thank you for posting them!

Paulo Marin
07-25-2011, 4:26 PM
You are quite welcome Rick! I appreciate the fact you recognize good art! I really liked your box... Wish I had more pictures of your stuff
Regards
Paulo

Scott Hackler
07-25-2011, 4:55 PM
Barbara does have some really interesting designs. I like anything that is beyond the norm and here work fills that. Steve has some facinating stuff as well.

This brings to mind something that I have been pndering ever since St Paul. Prior to that trip, I would have never concidered "buying" a piece from another turner. Even though I love wood art, I guess I never thought about spending money on the craft I partake in. And then I was exposed to the "masters" and I have been concidering a change of heart. I honestly stood in front of Molly Winton, holding one of her 6" pieces and at the $350 price I was actually concidering a purchase! I dont know what it was but her pieces were some of the nicest things I had ever seen, let alone hold (with her permission) and I almost bought it!

The only thing that stopped me was the desire for more goodies outweighed the desire to own someone elses work. For now. But between holding and staring at pieces from Keith Burns, Molly Winton, Paul Hedman, Jim Adkins, Bin Pho, David Ellsworth, Andi Wolf, ect ect...the list goes on.... I have thought about starting a collection that consist of 1 piece from each of the people I admire and limit the piece to a 6-8" max size. That wouldn't take up much space and it would be more reasonable for the wallet.....

Tim Thiebaut
07-25-2011, 6:19 PM
Hi Paulo, thanks for shareing this turning and the links you posted. When I see a turning such as the one you posted, thats a Nautalus correct? I am in awe of these types of turnings, I scratch my brain trying to figure out how in the world they could turn something like this, like a lot of people I like things outside the normal scope if what we see everyday. One young lady that is on my list of amazing turners is Yvonne Arlott, her work is just incredible, of course I have a very large list of people that amaze me like this, thanks again for this post...

Paulo Marin
07-25-2011, 7:23 PM
Interesting work from Ivonne... Large influences from J.Paul Fennel and Stuart Mortimer... That's what I mean... I believe like anything else, that collecting at least one piece from some of these artists will always enrich our outlook on the artform.
I own pieces from Jacques Vesery, Weissflog, Klein, Ellsworth, Stocksdale and Jerry Glaser... Everytime I look at them I find a new nuance or detail.... and that is food for my creative thought process...

Makes me think... how did they do it?:confused:

Glad you guys like it! We should keep a close eye on the contest at woodturners america... it is bound to showcase a lot of creativity.

Paulo

Hi Paulo, thanks for shareing this turning and the links you posted. When I see a turning such as the one you posted, thats a Nautalus correct? I am in awe of these types of turnings, I scratch my brain trying to figure out how in the world they could turn something like this, like a lot of people I like things outside the normal scope if what we see everyday. One young lady that is on my list of amazing turners is Yvonne Arlott, her work is just incredible, of course I have a very large list of people that amaze me like this, thanks again for this post...

David E Keller
07-25-2011, 7:52 PM
Congrats on your acquisition, Paulo! I was not previously familiar with Steve's work, but he does some very interesting stuff. There's a really interesting video on his site about making a helix... No turning involved, but it's still a very interesting idea!

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2011, 8:32 PM
Paulo, I have seen Barbara's site before during one of my many woodturning art internet searches. I have never seen Steve's work before, but it is amazing! I have some real nautilus shells from the ocean and have always admired the beauty of natures creations and Steve replicates it wonderfully! I can only wonder what something like that would cost, because I know he has put a ton of effort in making each one.

Great piece for your collection,

Jeff

Rick Markham
07-25-2011, 8:46 PM
I've been tossing around an idea in my head for sometime now, I haven't pitched it to anyone on here yet. I think sharing our work with each other really benefits us as turners, nothing beats holding someones work in your hands really reveals aspects of our craftsmanship that photos can never capture.

Hayley Smith's work "outside the box" really captures my attention. I have an enormous amount of artistic influences, many many many of which are right here!

charlie knighton
07-25-2011, 9:18 PM
my very 1st symposium, Virginia Woodturning Symposium 2006, in Daleville, Va.

my 1st rotation i attended, Barbara Dill: Multi-Axis Spindle Turning

i believe she is helping John Jordan with a workshop this week :)

i collect stuff from symposiums i attend, mostly in a loose scrapbook, business cards from woodturners, vendors, wood suppliers, etc

Tim Thiebaut
07-26-2011, 12:45 AM
I've been tossing around an idea in my head for sometime now, I haven't pitched it to anyone on here yet. !

Pitch away Rick.....

Paulo Marin
07-26-2011, 2:54 PM
I like that idea Rick. Perhaps we can start a "secret exchange" program. We wold participate by turning a piece, based on the number of people who are willing to participate.... then we would have a draw... and then we would have to post critiques and figure out who turned it.. I think that would be cool... At the end, ech of us would end up with a creeker piece... I like my idea, because I've been considering hitting Steve Schlumpf to buy one of his pieces. With the "secret exchange" program, I might end up with it;)

Paulo

I've been tossing around an idea in my head for sometime now, I haven't pitched it to anyone on here yet. I think sharing our work with each other really benefits us as turners, nothing beats holding someones work in your hands really reveals aspects of our craftsmanship that photos can never capture.

Hayley Smith's work "outside the box" really captures my attention. I have an enormous amount of artistic influences, many many many of which are right here!

Jamie Donaldson
07-26-2011, 3:45 PM
We kid about turning being a vortex, but let me tell you about how collecting turnings adds to that vortex! When I first started taking classes with other turners in 1986 (Knud Oland at the Campbell Folk School) I decided to buy a piece from each teacher as a momento of the experience. That worked fine thru Osolnik, Ellsworth, Jordan, Raffan, Key, Escoulen, and many others until I ran into Ron Fleming, and his prices started at about $7500! Too steep for sentiment, but now the collecting bug had bitten me for sure, and I have now cataloged 198 pieces. About half way thru I started limiting the work to pieces under 6" influenced by the del Mano Gallery Small Treasures annual show, and many bargains at the AAW Symposiums Instant Gallery, but there are seldom bargains there now. If you become infected by this bug, define your priorities, and collect what you like without paying attention to the name on the bottom of the work.

David E Keller
07-26-2011, 4:32 PM
Though I don't think of my work as collectable, I'd be all for participating in an exchange. The critique idea is a great one, too! I have a few pieces that were done by other turners, and I get a real kick out of seeing them! Count me in if this gains steam...

Rick Markham
07-26-2011, 4:54 PM
Paulo, David, Tim, and others, That's largely the idea I was thinking, I just hadn't figured out a way to do it. I hadn't considered the secret idea though, that's an excellent idea. Maybe we can all brainstorm a way to make a fair, and easy way to do this. The only problem I would see with a secret exchange is that someone is going to get stuck (for lack of a better term :D) being in charge of it.

I got to thinking about this because I have a friend who is a painter (amazing realist) and we've traded work. (I will admit I have gotten the better end of the stick on that deal.) There is bound to be a way that we can set it up as a friendship exchange, artist to artist. In the end we learn about each others craftsmanship, and have something from someone whos work inspires us.

Chris Burgess
07-26-2011, 5:36 PM
I would love to get my hands on some of y'alls work. That would be a real treat. You all have helped me so much in my turnings and growth as a turner. I would have to say I have a ways to go before I would feel comfortable sending my work as the recipient would feel a bit shorted

Paulo Marin
07-26-2011, 7:34 PM
Jeff,
I bought Steve's pdf on how to make the shells and I can tell you it is a very comprehensive set of instructions..He charges very little for them.(if I am not mistaken is $29,99).

But I know that some of his shells have commanded over $3000 at Del Mano gallery...

I think my next shell will have to be the one I MAKE :) otherwise, divorce will be more expensive... :eek:

Paulo Marin
07-27-2011, 4:51 PM
Rick,
This one just came in and I though I would share.incredible nice concept from bob Rosand. It is the "exodus" written all over the piece. It takes a lot of patience!203225