PDA

View Full Version : The Fleet has Landed…

John Weber
02-17-2005, 3:07 PM
Well, being a power tool junkie, a newer hand tool user (last 3 years), and a bit of collector I recently completed my set of Clifton whole number bench planes (3,4,5,6,7), and they are very nice planes. After which I was talking to my wife and saying how it was neat to have the full set, but I really wish I had started buying Lie-Nielsen planes. Plus and I didn’t really have a great "need" for the 5 and 6. I’ve always loved LN’s and even took a class with Tom at the Marc Adams School last summer. We’ll we talked and it dawn on me to sell the Cliftons and buy LN’s, so that is what I did. I sold most of the Clifton planes, and bought a better plane assortment of LN’s for my woodworking needs. Clifton planes work very well, but fit and finish was not nearly what the LN planes have, and it’s nice to support another great US company.

I ended up with a #7 jointer as my big plane. The rest of my needs involve mostly smoothing tasks, so I added a 4-1/2 York Pitch with rosewood (man I love that plane), a stunning all bronze number 3, and a low angle 164. I still have a couple Stanley and Clifton 3 and 4 size planes, but the LNs will really be useful in smoothing wood. Now my 62, 103, and #1 have a little more company.

For you Veritas guys, Santa was good, and a medium shoulder plane and bull nose were added to the fine scraper plane and #80 style scraper.

I have a long way to go fill all the “wants” in hand tools, but made a big leap with this move. The LNs are just a pleasure to use and own. Plus horse trading is a great way to keep tools coming in the shop for minimum outlay. The Cliftons sold well and now I’m thinking what else can I sell to get that next LN.

Thanks also to Gene for loads of emails and lots of great thoughts.

Thanks for looking - John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/ln1.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/ln2.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/veritas1.jpg

Ted Shrader
02-17-2005, 3:13 PM
John -

It doesn't look like the fleet has landed. It looks like they are all steaming in formation. :)

Congrats!
Ted

Jim Dunn
02-17-2005, 6:34 PM
I see a straight flush of Clifton planes;) But where do you plug them in? "And thanks for looking", geeze I'm drolling all over my key board and even put out my cigarett,
Jim

John Miliunas
02-17-2005, 7:04 PM
Yah! I'd say that's a fleet, awright! Wow. Great looking bunch 'o planes you have there, John! I can forget about catching up to you right now! Enjoy them. I daresay that you will!!!:) :cool:

Corvin Alstot
02-17-2005, 7:14 PM
Plus and I didn’t really have a great "need" for the 5 and 6. Although I do not have any LN bench planes, (maybe in the future) I have an old Bailey #6 thats great to use on a shooting board. I am sure your #7 will work equally well but the #6 seems about the right size. It makes nice square edges and 45 cuts for picture frames and small boxes.
I like you selection of LN and LV, those should work great.

John Weber
02-17-2005, 8:10 PM
Thanks guys, I've always loved LN's, so it's now nice to have some serious iron/bronze. Maybe if I win the lottery I can complete the set, then you have chisels, beading tools, and even workbenches.

Corvin, the Clifton #6 was my favorite, I guess because it was one of my first really nice planes, had the best fit and finish of any of the Cliftons, and was a joy to use. The very heavy weight made it slide through wood like butter.

John

Roy Wall
02-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Beautiful set of planes John!!!! And a logical "set" when you really think about it........

Is that wee little #1 an LN? I might have to get my daughter one of those:)

Mark Singer
02-18-2005, 12:13 AM
John,

Many favorites in there! Nice move! You got to love them!

John Weber
02-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys, I think for a modern woodworker utilizing a combination of power tools and hand tools, my newer selection makes a lot more sense as well. The 7 is well suited to jointing tasks, while the collection of smoothers is more suited to finishing machined surfaces. I'll always be a power tool junkie, but I really love the feel and craftsmanship of the LN planes. My goals in woodworking include moving away from always sanding toward a more hand tooled surface.

John

Gene Collison
02-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Nice John, really nice!! Your pretty well set now, enjoy. Gotta try some rosewood totes on mine.

Gene

John Weber
02-18-2005, 3:23 PM
Gene,

Thanks, but you know you got the whole thing started :)

John

Gene Collison
02-18-2005, 4:59 PM
Gene,

John
John,

Seems like you liked it though :)

Gene

John Miliunas
02-18-2005, 7:15 PM
Gene,

John
Dang, don't I know that one! Except in my case, Gene and that Mark Singer guy tag-teamed and beat me down!:eek: Honest...I went kicking and screaming the whole way! I'll give 'em this much: They are persistent! Gave me the fight of my life and now I'm stuck with these LN's, LV's, an ECE and even that Clifton!:o Hey...Wait a minute. Weren't YOU the one who baited me with that Clifton???:confused: Hrmph....Whatever. I'm glad you like all those LN's. As for me, I'm never, never, ever gonna' buy another hand plane again. Honest. Really. I'm NOT kidding!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-18-2005, 8:05 PM
As for me, I'm never, never, ever gonna' buy another hand plane again. Honest. Really. I'm NOT kidding!
Boy, that nose is getting longer... ;) I didn't figure I'd be buying hand planes, but...another one is on the way as soon as I can pick it up at the post office... :p

John Miliunas
02-18-2005, 8:17 PM
Boy, that nose is getting longer... ;) I didn't figure I'd be buying hand planes, but...another one is on the way as soon as I can pick it up at the post office... :p
Hey, keep my nose outta' this or I'm going to have to tell Geppetto....errrrrr....I mean, my Dad that you're pickin' on me!:mad: I gotta' admit, though: You guys must have one heckuva' post office out East! I never thought of checking there for planes. :eek: Good prices? Selection? :confused: No matter. I ain't never gettin' a nuther one again anyhow!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
02-18-2005, 8:20 PM
John,

Yeah...youe arm is probably still hurting from the twisting I gave it! Now with your Shelix you won't need your hand planes....just let me and Gene know....we can find a home......right here in Orange County:o

Dang, don't I know that one! Except in my case, Gene and that Mark Singer guy tag-teamed and beat me down!:eek: Honest...I went kicking and screaming the whole way! I'll give 'em this much: They are persistent! Gave me the fight of my life and now I'm stuck with these LN's, LV's, an ECE and even that Clifton!:o Hey...Wait a minute. Weren't YOU the one who baited me with that Clifton???:confused: Hrmph....Whatever. I'm glad you like all those LN's. As for me, I'm never, never, ever gonna' buy another hand plane again. Honest. Really. I'm NOT kidding!:) :cool:

Jim Becker
02-18-2005, 8:21 PM
LOL! No, Terry sent the #4 I bought from him via the post office and they will not leave an insured package when nobody is here to sign for it... They try once and then you have to either pick up at the post office directly or have them attempt a re-deliver by signing the form. I was away on business when it arrived in the area and could not get over there yesterday and today while the window was open for the same reason. I have signature releases with FedEX and UPS, but the PO doesn't do that to the best of my knowedge...

No biggie...I couldn't use it during that time period, either!

John Miliunas
02-18-2005, 8:28 PM
John,

Yeah...youe arm is probably still hurting from the twisting I gave it! Now with your Shelix you won't need your hand planes....just let me and Gene know....we can find a home......right here in Orange County:o
Ahem....I can only go 8" wide on that jointer, as you well know! Hrrrrmph! Trying to talk my outta' my planes! Just for that, I might just go ahead and get another one! Just out of spite, 'ya understand!:mad: :D :cool:

Gene Collison
02-18-2005, 8:46 PM
Dang, don't I know that one! Except in my case, Gene and that Mark Singer guy tag-teamed and beat me down! Honest...I went kicking and screaming the whole way! I'll give 'em this much:

And might I add, luvin it all the way! ROTHFL

Gene

Mark Singer
02-18-2005, 8:53 PM
Gene,

Thanks for pushing me into the little LN Bronze 102....it is great! Yeah I am still very upset about it... see I am just like John:rolleyes:

Dang, don't I know that one! Except in my case, Gene and that Mark Singer guy tag-teamed and beat me down! Honest...I went kicking and screaming the whole way! I'll give 'em this much:

Gene

John Miliunas
02-18-2005, 8:54 PM

Gene
Who? Me? :D :D :D :cool:

John Weber
02-18-2005, 9:38 PM
Hey, I thought this was my thread?

John,

All you guys are a bad influence, I need to start hitting the corner bar, well I'm sure there is one around here somewhere, it's gotta be cheaper. Nothing wrong with the Cliftons, but... as my wife like tease me "...for just a little bit more..." It's all good!

Jim,

I'm sure Terry took good care of you and that little number 4 should be sweet.

Gene and Mark,

Before I started talking to Gene I had a couple planes on my "to buy" list, I just bought 4 new LN's and my "to buy" list has almost tripled. What's up with that? I want a 102 as well.

Have a good weekend, the bedroom remodel is 95% complete so maybe I can play in the shop a bit...

John

Mark Singer
02-18-2005, 10:16 PM
John W.,

Sorry to be an insigator....consider the Primus 711 Reform Smoother....it is special and a joy to use....(sorry):)

John Miliunas
02-18-2005, 10:27 PM
John W.,

Sorry to be an insigator....consider the Primus 711 Reform Smoother....it is special and a joy to use....(sorry):)
Yeah John. What Mark said! :) :cool:

John Weber
02-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Mark,

You are bad, very bad, I'll take a look. By the way do you have any of the LN chisels? I've been bitten by this horse trading bug and have a set if Dutch / Swedish steel chisels that I was thinking about selling. The trouble is I could only exchange about 2 LN's for my whole set, and maybe pick up 2 more for a total of 4 LN's. I have a beater set of Marples Unbreakable plastic handle chisels, and a less beater set of Blue Chips. The LNs would be for the finest work I do and replace the 9 or 11 piece set I have not, it seems I rarely use more then a couple sizes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - John

John Weber
02-18-2005, 10:35 PM
You mean one of these:

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/ece_intro.jpg

NICE...

John

P.S. Not mine, but I can add it to the list...

Mark Singer
02-19-2005, 9:48 AM
John,

There she is....keep it on your list! It is a rewarding and wonderful plane to use...

You mean one of these:

http://thebestthings.com/newtools/graphics/ece_intro.jpg

NICE...

John

P.S. Not mine, but I can add it to the list...