PDA

View Full Version : Cat Urn

Scott Hackler
07-25-2011, 1:23 PM
This is more "filler" work while completing the more complex stuff for the contest.

My sister had to put her cat down and she ask me to make an urn for the ashes. I can't say that I understand the reasoning for keeping ashes, butshe wanted it so I made it!

Black walnut, shellac, lacquer and Ren wax. Decorated on the lid with my circle burning tip. Will be epoxied shut (snap fits now).

4" x 2 1/2".

Comments are always welcome, thanks.

Chris Burgess
07-25-2011, 2:20 PM
I am with you on the purpose but the Urn itself is great. Everything about it works for me.

Rick Markham
07-25-2011, 3:21 PM
It's a great urn Scott! I love the form, the lid is my favorite. I am enjoying the texturing/pyrography/carving you've been doing. I think what really makes the piece for me is the continuation of the design and texture on the top of the knob.

Richard Jones
07-25-2011, 4:01 PM
Nicely done, and I'm sure your sister will be most appreciative of your efforts. I also like the pyrography and shape of the knob. Very nice.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Tim Thiebaut
07-25-2011, 6:24 PM
I really like this piece, well done Scott. I just love the detailing you have been doing on the lids of these lately as well. As far as keeping ashs I can understand that fully, I have several containers, aluminum ones this was before I started turning, that I have some of my pets in, they are family to me and was so close to them I just couldnt let them go yet....maybe in time, so I understand where she is coming from.

Greg Just
07-25-2011, 7:28 PM
Very nice urn. I'm sure your sister will love it. Can you show a detailed picture of your pyro work? Thanks.

Jeff Nicol
07-25-2011, 7:34 PM
Scott, I have made a few urns and most of them have been for pets, they become part of the family but I am not so sure of the having the ashes setting on a shelf someplace. Very nice form and the dark wood and the burned top works well together.

Your sister will be pleased,

Jeff

Russell Eaton
07-26-2011, 9:08 AM
Scott I am with you on the ashes. The form looks great but it is hard to see the top detail in the picture, would be nice to have a close-up.

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Scott that is a extremely nice looking urn. I am sure your sister will appreciate it and cherish it. I agree with you on the ashes.

Baxter Smith
07-26-2011, 9:54 PM
Nice urn and lid Scott! A good looking combo.

Scott Hackler
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Very nice urn. I'm sure your sister will love it. Can you show a detailed picture of your pyro work? Thanks.

Here is a closeup of the pyro detail. Thanks

Greg Just
07-27-2011, 7:32 AM
Here is a closeup of the pyro detail. Thanks

Thanks Scott - very nice. Did you make a custom tip for your burner?