PDA

View Full Version : I picked up a few things from my Dad this weekend....

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2011, 3:41 PM
Air compressor, not large, but much bigger than what I currently have, and a small generator. Lots of jars of nuts and bolts and screws and other general hardware. Files and rasps, drill bits, etc.

But there are a couple things that even he didn't know what they were. Three pictures here of one of them. 202898 202897 202895 Obviously missing a couple items, have no idea what they were, or what these do. Most likely some type of machinist tools. The four similar items do not fit into the silver threaded piece...they are slightly too big.
Since there is an outside mic that is the same brand, I'm guessing these are for inside measurement. 202896 202894 But I've never seen anything like them before. There are quite a few large drill bits I didn't take, because they are too big to chuck into anything I have, and the non business end is shaped like it goes into a slot. He also has a thread cutter attachment that allows you to dial in what size and thread you want. Pretty wicked looking. Didn't have my camera to take a picture. I'll try to remember next weekend when I go to help them move.
If any one can solidify what the above items are, I'd appreciate it! Jim.

John McClanahan
07-24-2011, 3:52 PM
Jim, you are correct. They are inside micrometers. The first photo is of some collets. Maybe a handheld die grinder?

John

Bruce Page
07-24-2011, 4:28 PM
Pic 4 has a couple of inside micrometers, a small bore gage, and 3 telescoping gages.

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2011, 4:40 PM
Thanks for the info! The collets don't look or act like a normal collet, like a router would use. And since they don't fit into the threaded silver piece, I just can't imagine what type of tool they fit into. Many of the things my Dad has were given to him by widows when the husbands died. Dad, being a tool junkie, (yes I come by it naturally!!) would take it whether he could use it or not. I'm tempted to take everything he has, but I have a vision of TLOML standing in front of the van with her arms folded, tapping one foot. So, I'll leave the odd stuff for someone else.
Again, thanks for the info. Jim.

Ronald Blue
07-24-2011, 6:22 PM
Bruce is correct in is identification of the telescoping gages, hole gages, and inside micrometers. Those collets are an odd item. I don't see the typical split to allow them to compress. I suspect they fit something unique. Still a cool haul to bring home. I doubt that most will be beneficial to you unless you also do some metal working. While accuracy is good I am not sure the precision these are designed for and capable of is necessary in woodworking.

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2011, 7:42 PM
You are right Ronald. I previously brought home some calipers and micrometers that I doubt I'll ever use. But they are neat. Jim.

Don Morris
07-25-2011, 7:29 AM
Jim,

My father-in-law was a Swedish cabinet maker and I have a number of his tools. Treasure them.