PDA

View Full Version : As Promised, here's the pic Steve Clary

Dave Anderson NH
04-18-2003, 6:12 PM
Like I said, tool making is fun. Here are a few things I made for myself out of cutoffs ans scraps of various hardwoods around the shop.. When I took this photo this afternoon, I forgot to put in the spokeshaves. Oh well, they probably wouldn't have fit anyway. The file handles are rosewood, curly maple, black locust, and lacewood. Your basic $.39 copper pipe cap with a hole drilled in it makes agreat ferrule after steel wooling off the tarnish.

I'm now thinking about designing a marking knife, I need a narrower one for really small London style dovetails and getting into other tight places. I guess I'll buy a piece or two of O1 tool steel from either MSC or McMaster- Carr next week. Maling it yourself is cheap, fun, and allows you to make it exactly to fit your own hand.

Ken Wright
04-18-2003, 6:16 PM
for those tools......

Great work Dave ....

Keith Outten
04-18-2003, 8:34 PM
Dave,

Nice work!

I love the wooden hand screws, I hope to find the time to make a few of them in the near future. I have the Beale Tool threader in three sizes, how did you thread the dowels for your hand screws? Do you use a left hand thread on them also?

The bows saws are also very nice and a project I just have to find the time for but I have a picture of a wooden pipe wrench that would be very cool now that I have a knurling tool for my lathe.

I've just got to get me one of those hats :)

Thoughts from another wooden tool maker.

Dave Anderson NH
04-18-2003, 10:25 PM
tool of the type sold by Woodcraft and a bunch of other places. The threads are standard right hand, but there's no reason a left hand wouldn't work. The Beall is a nice unit from all accounts I seen and heard, but as a hand tool guy, well..... you know. Believe it or not, wooden clamps tend to work better as they age and the threads become a bit sloppy with wear. This is due to the fact they lack the second axis pivot joint that the more modern ones have.

You'll love making a bowsaw. There are so many nice styles and patterns out there. After you get your pattern set, make sure you build several. It is not a whole lot more work than building just one and you'll end up with a bunch of nice gifts. I've made six so far, and of the ones in the picture, three are for gifts.

One of the panel marking gages in the picture is already gone from my possession. My son and daughter-in-law dropped by tonite. I guess I'll have to finish up the second round of them so there'll be one for me to keep for my own use.

Jim Izat
04-19-2003, 8:39 AM
<b><font color=red>You'll love making a bowsaw. There are so many nice styles and patterns out there. After you get your pattern set, make sure you build several. It is not a whole lot more work than building just one and you'll end up with a bunch of nice gifts. I've made six so far, and of the ones in the picture, three are for gifts.</b></font>

Dave,

Where can such patterns be found? I really like yours a great deal, it has more visual substance than the few other examples I've seen.

Jim

Andrew Fairbank
04-20-2003, 1:23 AM
Hi Jim,

Try Paul Womack's pages - he has a good plan.

Dave may also have one of his own.

Paul Womack's website (http://www.geocities.com/plybench/)

Sorry to steal your thunder Dave - great work by the way, if you have another plan please post it also.

Cheers,

Andrew

Steve Clardy
04-20-2003, 8:29 PM
Great looking bunch of tools. Now if I had the time--------

Maybe when I get as old as Ken is, you know, retired 90 something, I'll have some extra time. Steve:D

Pstt, you forgot the d in my last name. lol
Yea, theres some clarys around, but not related I guess.
Keep up the excellent work.:D