PDA

View Full Version : Plum Tree HF

mike ash
07-24-2011, 2:18 PM
A friend offered me some pieces of plum tree from his firewood pile. I was a bit sceptical because there were deep cracks in the ends, and numerous spots of rot, and t and I couldn't see any character. But, I'd never worked with plum, so I thought I'd give it a try. This is what turned out, so I'm going back to his woodpile!!! 8" tall x 4 1/2" diameter. Embellished with claro walnut cap, because the lip area had bad rot.

WOP finish just applied, will buff when it dries. Sorry for the photo, I'm still waiting for my #39 photo background to arrive (thanks Steve for the suggestion).

As always, I learn alot from your C&C. Thanks, Mike Ash

charlie knighton
07-24-2011, 2:29 PM
very nice, looks like it holds detail , thanks for sharing

Marty Eargle
07-24-2011, 3:09 PM
Very nice.

I turned a piece of an old, hard plum stump a few weeks ago. I ended up scrapping the piece but what I turned smelled so good I didn't want to stop working with it.

Jon Nuckles
07-24-2011, 3:26 PM
That looks like some very pretty wood; may have to look for some!

Donny Lawson
07-24-2011, 9:19 PM
Looks like it turned out very well to me. Great to be from the firewood pile.

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2011, 10:57 PM
Looks pretty good to me Mike. Nice piece from the firewood pile for sure.

Steve Schlumpf
07-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Sure is some pretty wood! Hard to judge the curve in the form but it looks like you have a nice taper from the shoulder to the foot. The shoulder is a little sharp but if intended to be a contemporary vase - it works well.

Hope you get your backdrop soon. You will love the difference it can make in your photos!

Michelle Rich
07-25-2011, 9:29 AM
fruitwoods are usually worth the effort...nice color variation on this,