PDA

View Full Version : Respirators

Pat Carlson
07-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Being realtively new to woodworking; I have been advised to include a respirator as a standard working component. Are there any suggestions as to type of and what it should filter out? I am intending to work with many exotic woods and have noticed in the "Wood Book" that there seems to be various reactions associated with each species.
Thanks - Pat

Jim Burr
07-24-2011, 1:09 PM
Hey Pat,
I usually spend my time in the spinny section, but have spent years work on respirators; In real life I'm a Respiratory Therapist in the San Joaquin Valley.
For general all around protection, Airshield is a good bet. The filter is certified in UK, but not by OSHA for filtration. Triton is approved by the OSHA, but is bulky. Wearing a faceshield is mandatory, hence the reason I bring up those that incorporate both. If you'd like to split it up, MSA makes a good duel cartridge mask that will fit under a bubble type shield. Also consider an air scrubber...I use a Jet, but there are several good ones around. I am not paid by any company, just use, have used or tested the product.
I found out the hard way that mesquite and I don't get along unless it's in the BBQ pit!

David Hawxhurst
07-24-2011, 3:30 PM
airsheild and trition don't need to be fitted because there are powered and create a slight positive pressure. msa and 3m both make dual filter half face type respirators but provide no eye protection. the msa and 3m should be fitted to ensure that you get a proper seal and max protection. i went with the msa only because that is the type i use at work and knew what size i needed because we get fit check annually for all our respiratory protective devices.

Pat Carlson
07-24-2011, 5:35 PM
Hi Jim,

Appreciate the direction. Will follow-up.

Pat

Pat Carlson
07-24-2011, 5:37 PM
Thanks David,

It is apparent I need adequate protection. Will look into your suggestions also.

Pat

Josh Bowman
07-24-2011, 6:23 PM
Try this article that I wrote. A little expensive on front end, but cheap to keep and comfortable, wore it for several hours yesterday cutting MDF. Really love it. The filters seem to clean easily with just some compressed air and the batteries so far have lasted for several days of wood turning.
http://www.woodturnersamerica.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=116:power-air-purifying-respirators-paprs&catid=71:ppe&Itemid=90

Neil Brooks
07-24-2011, 8:11 PM
VERY happy with my 3M 7500 series.

I got the P100 particulate filters and the organic vapor cartridges and (try to) wear the appropriately set-up combo pretty much all the time.

Like most things ... it's a habit, and ... if it fits you well ... you'll wear it :)

Carl Beckett
07-24-2011, 8:17 PM
Pat - its great that you are taking the impact of dust seriously. I think of it a lot like hearing protection - the effects are cumulative and might not show up for years, and then its too late.

Im getting better about wearing hearing protection, but have to admit I can be a bit lax on the respiratory protection (usually only wear when things are really bad, like extended sanding sessions, etc).

Thumbs up to you!!

glenn bradley
07-24-2011, 9:55 PM
I love walnut. Over time I noticed that I had bad headaches and ear trouble after working with it. I always wore my respirator when power sanding but, I do very little of that. It took awhile to track it down and I didn't like what I figured out; walnut and a few other species bother me even though I have a cyclone, a modfied bagger and an ambient cleaner. I now wear a respirator whenever I am cutting, jointing, planing, sanding (including by hand) or anything else that sets particles of a board free in the shop. No more headaches :) Except for when I forget or, just want to do this "one little thing"; then I usually pay for it the next day.

I love this no longer availble AO Safety model (thanks to 3M for sucking up AO Safety and discontinuing this model) :mad:.

The dual cartridge half masks block too much of my vision for me to feel comfortable having my hands anywhere near something sharp and powered. Probably just my narrow face. I have a Lee Valley version with a single cartridge centered up front and low profile in design. When my favorite here bites the dust, I'll move to that unless I find something better in the mean time.

Paul Saffold
07-24-2011, 10:29 PM
Josh,

"The filters seem to clean easily with just some compressed air"

Sort of defeats the purpose, hey? Just puts the dust back into the air.

Josh Bowman
07-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Josh,

"The filters seem to clean easily with just some compressed air"

Sort of defeats the purpose, hey? Just puts the dust back into the air.
Of course I blow them out outside:D