PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion

Byron Trantham
02-17-2005, 11:58 AM
I have to make a couple raised panel doors without the raised panel. The insert is a piece of 1/4" red oak plywood (trying to match existing doors). I cannot get 1/4" ply with both sides good. I was thinking 1/4" solid oak glue-ups. Any of you think they will warp? Any other method/material? Wonder how the "big boys" get 1/4" ply with both sides good?

Bill Arnold
02-17-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't know anything about these guys, but here's an option:
http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/OAK_RED_PLYWOOD.htm

Use two slabs of 1/8" Good 1 Side glued back to back.

Lee Schierer
02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
For your flat panel doors, you can probably use 1/4 material for the panel. The frame will be strong enough to keep the panel flat. Try to alternate the grain in the glued up panel to minimize the tendancy to warp. Just make sure you alllow some room for expansion along the sides of the panels.

I used to be able to get oak plywood from Lowes that had two oak faces. They don't seem to carry it in the full sheets any more, but some of their 1/4 and 1/2 sheet panels were two faced.

Byron Trantham
02-17-2005, 12:53 PM
I don't know anything about these guys, but here's an option:
http://www.woodnshop.com/hardwood/OAK_RED_PLYWOOD.htm

Use two slabs of 1/8" Good 1 Side glued back to back.

Bill I jsut ordered a 4x4 sheet of 2 sides good! thanks for the tip. I bookmarked their site. :D

Bill Arnold
02-17-2005, 1:13 PM
I'm glad you found what you needed. When I saw the site, I read the major headings and didn't notice the item listed as good 2 sides. Duhhhh..... It's good you paid more attention than I did! :)

Byron Trantham
02-17-2005, 1:21 PM
I'm glad you found what you needed. When I saw the site, I read the major headings and didn't notice the item listed as good 2 sides. Duhhhh..... It's good you paid more attention than I did! :)

Bill,
I paid a bit for it ($10 shipping) but man will it save me a bunch of work and worry about warping. Even if the stuff is "pretty good", it will fill the bill (no pun intended here). :D