PDA

View Full Version : Vase From A Board!!!

Michelle Rich
07-24-2011, 7:52 AM
Since my retirement from woodworking & stained glass making, I have had time to do things I have wanted to do for quite some time. I have made tons of Bowls from Boards over the years. they all have the same straight sided look. Sell well, but I tired of the shape.
So I racked my brain & did some drawings & math and came up with this curvy vase from a board. walls: .085 thick. It ain't awesome or shocking,or a super vase, but I wanted to conquer this beast.
Old minds can come up with new tricks!:D
For those of you unfamiliar with bowls/vases made from boards, it is not what it appears. it looks like I stacked layers of wood then turned it all out. These are made with a bandsaw, scrollsaw or a lathe. I made this from a 10 inch square 3/4 inch thick board. I used my 1/2 bolt gizmo I use to make the neg space designs ( old post) and used a parting tool to cut out rings. I've seen many 45 degree bowls, but never a vase with curves. To get the rings cut at the angles necessary to stack & have enough to get curves turned in was the trick.

Tim Thiebaut
07-24-2011, 8:03 AM
I think its a very nice vase, great color and character in that wood, and ya gotta love the background turnings you have in the photo as well.

Jim Burr
07-24-2011, 8:13 AM
I'd say you conquered it well! You sure picked a distracting backdrop!

Richard Jones
07-24-2011, 8:13 AM
What's not to like? Great use for reclaimed lumber, as well.

Like Tim, those background pieces are super.

Rich

John Keeton
07-24-2011, 8:16 AM
Michelle, that certainly is a contrast of simplicity vs. complexity!! Very nice work, and super thin walls. Are you gonna make us guess on the wood?? Looks like Ambrosia stains, but the color is a little tricky.

Josh Bowman
07-24-2011, 8:37 AM
Michelle,
I like it, I think I might try one of those.

Michelle Rich
07-24-2011, 8:39 AM
yep, John, scrap ambrosia with lots of nasty texturing..40 grit and various tools to get a very ugly look, then colored Bri wax..I wanted it to look old. But the picture doesn't catch it..I could not get a decent picture. must have taken 40..the best was in front of my negative space pieces. Helps distract from the vase!!! :-)

Michelle Rich
07-24-2011, 8:41 AM
Michelle,
I like it, I think I might try one of those. Good! enjoy the math and figuring the angles!!!

charlie knighton
07-24-2011, 8:46 AM
Michelle, very nice vase, also the background is awesome.

cal thelen
07-24-2011, 9:44 AM
Very cool! and the background is great too!

David E Keller
07-24-2011, 10:00 AM
That's neat, Michelle!