PDA

View Full Version : Clear acrylic painted on one side ?

Kasey Maxwell
07-23-2011, 11:09 PM
Anyone know where I might be able to get clear acrylic painted black on one side so I can engrave an image in the paint and reveal the clear acrylic to put it up and have a light illuminate through the engraved area ? If I do it myself I'm sure the paint would be different thicknesses so the engraving would be spotty, even if anyone knows of a black sticky mask to put on and engrave that off ? I know laser bits sells wood with black paint on it to engrave and reveal the wood underneath, but I need to illuminate it.

Thanks

Mike Null
07-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Johnson Plastics for one.

Allen Isakson
07-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I paint my own all the time and never have a spotting problem. If you give a good cover the difference in the thicknesses does not become a factor.

George M. Perzel
07-24-2011, 8:28 AM
Hi Kasey;
Get a can of Krylon and some plexi and try it-amazing what can be done if you only try.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

David Fairfield
07-24-2011, 10:26 AM
+1 for DIY. I use Krylon, works fine, looks nice.

Pete Bejmuk
08-02-2011, 11:37 AM
I use the Krylon and Valspar spraypaints that are formulated just for plastic. You don't have to worry about thicknesses.

Richard Rumancik
08-02-2011, 1:04 PM
Kasey, what thickness were you looking for? The IPI and Rowmark reverse-engravables are designed to laser from the "back" (painted side). I don't know what range of thicknesses are available - I have some .050" or 1/6" (not sure exactly the thickness). They might have some thicker gages in reverse-engravable. Not sure if it goes up to 1/8" though. Check their websites.