PDA

View Full Version : New Powermatic colors.

Dave Lehnert
07-23-2011, 10:39 PM
What does everyone think of the new 90th anniversary color for Powermatic.

Gilbert Vega
07-24-2011, 12:44 AM
I think it looks sharp!! Kind of an old timey look.

Timothy Wolf
07-24-2011, 12:57 AM
I like it and the LOML does too, just not enough to let me buy it =-(

I just looked at the 14" bandsaw on the Powermatic website however, and it doesn't look nearly as nice as the Table Saw.

Lawrence Richards
07-24-2011, 2:40 AM
as a Steelers fan, I wholeheartedly support those colors

Lawrence

Larry Edgerton
07-24-2011, 6:36 AM
I don't buy black cars because they are too hard to keep nice, feel the same way about black tools. Would look like heck all the time.

Dave Lehnert
07-24-2011, 10:31 AM
I think the lathe in black looks kinda cool.

http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/WMHToolGroup/1352001PK_main?hei=800&wid=800

Kyle Iwamoto
07-24-2011, 2:00 PM
Black matches my Sawstop, but I rather have the gold. How can you tell your tools apart if they're all the same color?

Chip Lindley
07-24-2011, 3:41 PM
Black matches my Sawstop, but I rather have the gold. How can you tell your tools apart if they're all the same color?

No doubt, the new black PM machinery is a move to compete up with SawStop. Remember the lawsuit between Jet and Grizzly a few years back? That was all about white!

As far as I am concerned, the woodworking machinery world is neither black nor white, but is shades of Delta gray...and PM metallic gold. I still enjoy older machinery made in USA when possible!

Jim O'Dell
07-24-2011, 3:44 PM
They look sharp, but 1400 for a 6" jointer??? Sorry, won't see my shop. Jim.

Dave Lehnert
07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
No doubt, the new black PM machinery is a move to compete up with SawStop. Remember the lawsuit between Jet and Grizzly a few years back? That was all about white!

As far as I am concerned, the woodworking machinery world is neither black nor white, but is shades of Delta gray...and PM metallic gold. I still enjoy older machinery made in USA when possible!

You think the black is to compete with Sawstop? Interesting, Powermatic being a premium brand I would not think they would feel they were in that position. The Powermatic color change is just reverse of the standard gold trimmed in black.

Dave Cav
07-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I'm partial to gray or pea green...

johnny means
07-25-2011, 1:02 AM
I agree with Chip. I think this is a move to keep up with Sawstop. Not so much to try and look like them, but to modernize their look. I mean come on now, mustard and pea green remind some of us of our grandparents kitchen appliances. No offense to you oldtimers that actually still have those appliances. Personnaly, I think the mustard (call it PM Gold if you want, just looks like spicy mustard to me) and drab greens out their are god awful ugly. Not that they weigh too heavily in the decision making process, but when a company is looking for a little more appeal, a change in paint color is an almost free way to update your product.

Kevin Nathanson
07-25-2011, 3:01 AM
FWIW, the paint quality of these machines was horrible; especially amazing given that these were tradeshow samples. There was a mix of flat, semi and full gloss finish quality on a single surface, overspray, grease spots, orange peel and other anomalies, and this was on all the tools, not just one machine. They look great in the catalog, but they were really lacking when viewed in person.

Mark Ashmeade
07-25-2011, 2:18 PM
You think the black is to compete with Sawstop? Interesting, Powermatic being a premium brand I would not think they would feel they were in that position.

Excellent fishing expedition. I'll just go and get some popcorn...

Paul McGaha
07-25-2011, 2:47 PM
I would guess this is short term.

Just putting something out there thats a little different.

Delta did this a while back with a white paint job that looked a lot like a tool from Jet.

Like I said, just a guess.

PHM

Mike Cruz
07-25-2011, 5:12 PM
What happened to the "gold standard"? I don't think they needed to change it. Not that it doesn't look sharp in black, but since saw dust is very rarely black, it will be a bear to keep clean.

David Kumm
07-25-2011, 5:24 PM
It must be easier than actually improving the machines. Wonder if they will last as long as the green ones. Dave

Jeff Monson
07-25-2011, 5:48 PM
I was under the impression this is just an anniversary color. I dont think the gold standard will go away.

Karl Card
07-25-2011, 6:13 PM
I was going to say the only reason I dont like it is because I dont have one... lol But it looks nice but I really dont care for dark colors in the shop. I like lighter colors because they are less depressing.

Paul McGaha
07-25-2011, 6:27 PM
I agree with you Karl I think I like lighter colors myself. I have Jet bandsaw that is white and I think it is a good tool color. I think the Grizzly's look better when they're mostly white.

My shop wound up being split about even between Delta Gray and Mustard.

PHM

I was going to say the only reason I dont like it is because I dont have one... lol But it looks nice but I really dont care for dark colors in the shop. I like lighter colors because they are less depressing.

Brodie Brickey
07-25-2011, 6:33 PM
At AWFS they were saying that it was for this 90th anniversary and would be returning to the standard colors next year. I paid more attention to the 3520B lathe than anything else. I liked the color scheme. I'm sure it shows the dust more, but the mustard color isn't a treat either.

David Hostetler
07-26-2011, 12:19 PM
When I first saw the table saw, it looked like a SawStop with a different set of stripes... No I don't care for it. Powermatic after all is "The Gold Standard"...

Chris Tsutsui
07-26-2011, 1:44 PM
I got to see the whole lineup at AWFS in person, and let me say that I love it. They look better in person than the pics.

Gives the tools a more modern look and with that look comes the faux perception of safety and advanced technology...

I'd say that Sawstop might have the only sexier looking paint job and festool has the best color scheme. :)

This pic was taken by Damon, but it was my favorite PM tool besides the planer with byrd head:

Jim Underwood
07-27-2011, 9:04 AM
I don't care if it shows sawdust or not, the black looks better than that nasty pukey color some of you call "gold". Calling it "mustard" is complementary to that color, but calling it "gold" is just a big fib....

Give me black, give me white, give me red, give me navy or green, or even gray, but don't give me Powermatic's standard color; it's just nasty. They could have even made it a nice yellow... why did they have to pick such a nasty color?

But just so you know, I don't care that much about the color if the machine is quality. I can always spray paint it myself. Beauty is only skin deep, but you can't disguise quality.... Or junk.

McKay Sleight
07-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Having had three sawstops in the high school shop where I taught for 30+ years, the PM is far superior to the ST. The quality of the milling and the machine itself is age tested. I had many many problems with the ST which should never occur. Proper training is the key to safety, not some funky technology that will not last like my 50 year old Uni.

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2011, 11:40 AM
It must be easier than actually improving the machines. Wonder if they will last as long as the green ones. Dave

David, I was thinking the same thing, reminds me of General.

I like General machinery a lot, and it's Canadian. The lack of innovation however led me to sell all my General machines and buy Hammer replacements.

Too bad Powermatic or General don't come up with some EU type machines.................Regards, Rod.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Doesn't make a bit of difference to me. I don't know why they changed from the green.

Dave Lehnert
07-27-2011, 2:53 PM
A rep from Powermatic said the color was just for the fall lineup till the end of the year. But sure if people like it and sales go up they would make it permanent.
Just for the record I like JET white or Grizzly white green as a color.

More amazing is only 107 votes with over 1,300 views.

Don Bullock
07-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't care what color my woodworking tools are as long as they do the job. Having said that, I think the new Powermatic color looks great. I'd love to have that lathe in my shop.