PDA

View Full Version : Knife Stand "Final"

Nate Davey
07-23-2011, 4:09 PM
I never thought I would hear myself say this, but.......the more I use my skew the more I like it.:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Here is my knife stand, dropped it and put two dents in it, so will have to make another for the Family Support Group Auction. Not unhappy with it, but not totally happy either. Cherry with a walnut button for the knife to set on, dry sanded to 600, then BLO sanded with 400 wet/dry, then, hand rubbed 3 coats of shellac, sanded with 4000 micro mesh between coats. I think I will leave it as is, as it has a nice sheen. Cherry has some more crazy figure. I think I may need a simple detail band around the side and on the top, undecided about that. Comments and criticism appreciated.

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2011, 4:27 PM
Looks nice, but seems rather dedicated to the knife in the picture. Is this some high value crafted knife as well?

Is that a magnet in the tip of the horizontal piece?

Nate Davey
07-23-2011, 4:35 PM
Eric,

The knife is made by a co worker and is available for our unit members. Long story, but the value is to those of us in the organization. A fuller story is here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169495-Prototype-Knife-Stand.&highlight=knife). There is a magnet in the horizontal.

mickey cassiba
07-23-2011, 5:09 PM
Nate the evolution from the prototype to the finished piece is very subtle. You retained the essence of your plan while incorporating the suggestions made and made a very proud piece. Well done...I'm sure it'll fetch a good price at the auction. And I like my skew as well. Only tool I can properly use.
And thank you for your service.

Tim Thiebaut
07-23-2011, 6:47 PM
I really like this, I dont know how I missed the original post you made on it, but I have seen several posts that for some reason dont appear until the next day in a given time frame, I dont know if this is my PC doing this to me or what it is. Anyway, I really like the concept you have come up with for this, I have a few custom knifes myself, how stable is it standing like that? I have used some mini-mite magnets on a few projects and they do have a good strong pull to them. Great design on this...I may have to borrow your concept myself!

Nate Davey
07-23-2011, 7:30 PM
Tim,

I can give a a fairly good shake without the knife coming off, it's plenty stable for display.....unless you have kids.