PDA

View Full Version : Screw Chucks from "SPAX" screws

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2011, 2:43 PM
I finally remembered to take a few pictures of a couple of screw chucks that I have made over the years using "SPAX" screws or lag bolts. The spax threads are wide and deep like the Glaser threads but I can buy a 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" for just around a $1 each and the 5/8" in the picture is about $1.65. They come in many sizes and lengths and are easy to cut, thread or grind to what you need. I have been using them for years without any troubles, but like with anything you can attempt to use them on a to large a blank, but most always unless it is a small block I will use the tailstock to get it balanced and turn tenon. The MT#2 has a 1/4x20 threaded hole in it with a set screw holding the chuck screw in place and the gray stuff is PVC sheet. The other one is an old metal face plate that was threaded with 1/2"x20tpi (I think) so I made a plug with 5/16 threads to put the chuck screw in. The bolt is a 5/8" Spax lag bolt.

I might have $5 in both of these, a little ingenuity goes a long way to keep the green in the wallet!

Jeff

Paul Williams
07-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jeff. I have an old 3" face plate with a plain wood screw. Guess I will upgrade.

David E Keller
07-24-2011, 12:08 AM
They look great, Jeff! I'm not so handy with the metal crafting stuff, so forgive me if this is a stupid question... How'd you attach the screw to the MT and faceplate?