PDA

View Full Version : DC question

Marshall Harrison
02-17-2005, 9:15 AM
My DC has a Y off of the side and I only need to hookup to one tool at a time. I'm wondering if I could hook the other up to a small wooden box containing air filters in order to get some of the finer dust out of the air. In other words can I build an air cleaner using the DC as the power source? Would it move enough air? Has anyone tried this?

I realize the fine dust from the tabelsaw would still blow thorugh the DC on it's run but the other run should capture the fines in the filters in the wooden box.

Am I a genious for thinking of this or just misguided?:confused:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2005, 9:30 AM
It might work if you were only using that side of the wye when the other side was closed, however, you probably will not pull enough CFM to make a difference with both open. Most of the smaller DCs are only meant to have one blast gate open at a time. I know that my performance drops off greatly with more than one opened.

Marshall Harrison
02-17-2005, 3:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I'm setting up my DC this weekend (finally) and I may have to just experiment to see if this will work. My guess is that you are right and it won't draw enuff air.

Guess I may not be a genious after all :(