PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone Tools.....Worth it low cost?

Chris Burgess
07-23-2011, 8:42 AM
Just looking for honest opinions.

I am in need of some hollowing tools. I have considered making my own but fear it would be a waste of time, effort and money. Looking in the currect Woodturning Design I see an add for a Gladstone Modular Hollower w/ a 1/2" & 3/8" gooseneck and a 1/2" Fingernail bowl gouge, Large Handle and a 7" double ended caliper for $100 (page 45). I know they cannot be the best tools but the best are so far away from my budget right now. This also comes w/ a couple of HSS bits and replacments are only $7. Has anyone ever used these? My biggest concern would be the tips and how they hold their edge. Wonder if other tips would fit on there. I tried to find reviews on them but had no luck and the only thread I found was from '09, a lot can change w/ a product in 2 years, good or bad

Thanks for your help. If they are good I may splurge this once......until the next time.

Jon Prouty
07-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi Chris,

Had to check out their website... Never heard of Gladstone before. For a 100 bucks, it sounds like it may be worth a shot. I prefer my articulated home made hollowing system and all up I am in for less than the 100 and no hand hollowing any more (hand hollowing is not my favorite way to get a workout). I like the Easy Wood Tools hollower and finisher but you are looking at a lot more.

Good luck! If you get this setup, please post pictures and let us know what you think of them.

JP

Curt Fuller
07-23-2011, 11:45 AM
I had never heard of Gladstone tools either. But after looking at their website I think that looks like a pretty decent hand held setup. And the different hollowing bars would also fit most of the captured systems if you decide to update later. It would also be easy to make some of your own hollowing bars that would fit that handle. I'm glad to see a reasonably priced system like that for small to medium sized hollowing projects. I've been thinking that this whole tool thing has been getting very over priced.

charlie knighton
07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Chris, any handheld set you must be very strong and/or great technique or you will take a beating turning with it. i use elbo tool and it really made a differance than something like the sorby hollowmaster. i saw J. Paul Fennell and he hollows in reverse with hand held braced with his stomach. you got to find what works for you, a good place to see different systems and even try them out is at national symposium. since you are from texas, try to go to SWAT or there is another one in phonex area in late feb/early march but SWAT is close. ask Scott about it.

David E Keller
07-23-2011, 1:04 PM
I don't know anything about their tools, but the price is right! Making your own is not terribly difficult... If I can do it, anyone can!