PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on which Sawstop Pro to buy

Patrick Galpin
07-23-2011, 6:29 AM
I am going to purchase the Sawstop Pro cabinet model but will be building it into a very large table / support unit with the Incra 52" TS-LS fence system. Is there any advantage to purchasing the Sawstop 52" model vs the 37" unit? Should I even buy any optional extension table at all? Thanks for the advice.

Alan Lightstone
07-23-2011, 7:45 AM
I purchased a SawStop contractor's model and built it into a large table / support unit with an Incra LS 32" fence system for the router extension table. I had to scrap the extension table and build my own. No question that the 52" SawStop was necessary. I actually initially bought the 32" rails and they are now sitting in my storage unit.

With the router mounted on the right hand side, you would constantly be removing the Incra base for any large cuts. I have to remove mine occasionally, but not a lot. That's with the LS system. With the TS (non LS model), if you aren't going to turn the right side into a router table on the right extension wing, it's just up to you as to how large wood you want to be able to crosscut (I don't do full sheets on my table saw).

Here's my build, FWIW. The second link is to a blog I wrote while building it. Hope this helps. Please post pictures when you're done.
http:// lumberjocks.com/projects/47610
http:// lumberjocks.com/zzzzdoc/blog

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/213609-438x.jpg?1303316696

Patrick Galpin
07-23-2011, 9:25 AM
Alan, thanks for the feedback and the link to your photos/ comments on your workstation build. One question, why do you say the 52" is required? For the rails or for the extra table that is certain to be flat? As mentioned I will get the large Incra system that uses it's own rails for the fence vs the SS fence system.

Alan Lightstone
07-23-2011, 10:27 AM
With using the area to the right for the router table, the larger rails were required to mount the cast iron router table. If you look at the picture, you can see that the base for the Incra lies about 27" from the saw blade. Doesn't allow for long crosscuts without removing the base. On the other hand, if you use the TS fence, I think this doesn't apply as things are attached with the mirror orientation.

Double check me on this. I don't want to lead you astray.

Are you just planning on the Incra TS fence?

Also, if I had to do it over again, I would find a way to use one of SawStop's more powerful cabinet saws. Probably would lose some storage (which I love), but there have been a few cuts in very hard, thick woods where I would have appreciated more power.

Paul McGaha
07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Really super nice setup Alan.

Kevin Stricker
07-24-2011, 1:27 AM
Why pay the money for a fence you are not going to use? The stock Sawstop extension table is nothing special, and Incra has a sale on their LS-TS tables right now.

Kevin Stricker
07-24-2011, 1:33 AM
This makes no sense. I can cut 32" on my PCS using my LS-TS fence. It looks like you have less than 24" with your setup. Why would you want to have to take off your LS system in order to do any larger cuts and why not use the accuracy with the LS-TS for your tablesaw?

Alan Lightstone
07-24-2011, 8:30 AM
This makes no sense. I can cut 32" on my PCS using my LS-TS fence. It looks like you have less than 24" with your setup. Why would you want to have to take off your LS system in order to do any larger cuts and why not use the accuracy with the LS-TS for your tablesaw?

It depends on where you mount the router, and how large you make the extension table. BTW, I agree. There is nothing special about the SawStop extension table. I replaced mine with MDF that I laminated with black formica to get the proper dimensions.

If the router is mounted on the left hand side, then you can use the LS-TS for both the table saw cuts and router cuts. My workshop doesn't have enough space to allow that to happen (my cyclone is in the way), so I chose to mount it on the right side. Debates will continue on until the end of time as to which side to mount a router on an extension table. It's an individual decision.

So I get up to 27" crosscuts with the base attached, and infinite with it removed. You can, often, just flip the wood around and have it hang off the left side of the saw too.

Kevin Stricker
07-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Having the arm of the LSTS hanging off the side of the table should definitely be taken into account when determining what will work for you. Like you say it is a personal preference, but having the Incra fence for the Sawstop is a big step up IMO from the Sawstop stock fence. I had to buy my saw with the fence but the retailer allowed me to return the fence as it is a separate skew/item.

I like your cabinet system Alan, and am glad your system is working for you.

Tom Willoughby
07-24-2011, 1:16 PM
I purchased the SawStop professional cabinet saw without a fence and put a 52" Incra fence system on it that I had on my previous table saw. There might be an advantage to purchase the extension table from SawStop but I simply built my own and put a router insert it in. I use the Incra table saw fence for the router as well, which is on the right side.

Alan Lightstone
07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Tom:

I'd love to see a picture of that setup.

Alan

Tom Willoughby
07-25-2011, 9:33 AM
Tom:

I'd love to see a picture of that setup.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'll take a picture of the saw with the Incra fence tonight and figure out how to post it.

Stay tuned.

Kind regards,
Tom

Tom Willoughby
07-26-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi Alan,

I took a picture of my SawStop with the Incra fence. Please ignore the mess as I am in the midst of reorganizing it and installing a cyclone dust collector.

Cheers,
Tom

Alan Lightstone
07-27-2011, 1:07 AM
Thanks, Tom. I thought seriously about that orientation. I thought it wood be awkward for me to rout while leaning over the table. That being said, that disadvantage is made up for by being able to rip wide sheets and use the Incra fence instead of the SawStop fence, so there is a big plus with the minus.

OK, Patrick. Two ways to skin a cat (still don't know why anyone would want to skin a cat, but anyway....) You can use either approach with your SawStop. I'm sure Tom is as happy with his Incra fence as I am with mine. It's a real nice bit of kit.

Jim Neeley
07-27-2011, 2:28 AM
Patrick,

FWIW regarding the 37" vs. 52" rip, IMO the key advantage for me is that being over 48" max means I can use the fence to cut an 8' long piece (two times 48") of sheet stock to whatever size I want. Others cut their sheet stock using other means such as a circ saw but IMO, this is the largest single advantage I've seen with mine. YMMV..

Alan Lightstone
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
True. I don't even think about taking off the Incra and cutting sheet stock with mine. I just grab the Festool track saw and off I go. For me it's a safety thing, as I'm not a tall, muscular guy, and never liked dealing with moving big sheet goods.

The Incra can stay in place when I use my large crosscut sled, which is big for me. But long boards that need to be crosscut do necessitate removal of the Incra base plate, unless I can flip them with the longer portion off the left side of the saw.

I agree with Jim that the 52" would be preferred.

Tom Willoughby
07-27-2011, 2:34 PM
I agree that if you have the room, always go bigger. I use the circular saw to cut sheet goods smaller and then use the table saw to cut accurately to final dimensions sometimes with a large sled when the final dimensions are large

Alan, I had my router table installed at the end of the table saw extension on my previous saw and thought it would be difficult to adjust to working from the front of the saw when I purchased the Incra fence but it hasn't been a difficult adustment.

Patrick Galpin
07-27-2011, 4:03 PM
Many thanks to everyone, especially Tom and Alan, this is one of the great things about being part of Sawmill Creek, great advice. I am going to go with the base setup without the Sawstop fence as it would be redundant. Once again, thanks.

Alan Lightstone
07-27-2011, 6:04 PM
Enjoy it. Make lots of sawdust. Please post a picture when you have it installed.

Neil Brooks
07-27-2011, 7:45 PM
First ... a hearty CONGRATS !!!!

Second ... I just went through the same exercise, and ... 30 minutes ago ... ordered the 5HP ICS single-phase with the 52" rails/fence.

Buy once, cry once.

Should come in, in a few weeks, BUT ... will have to sit in my garage until we move into a new house -- maybe as late as the end of the year. Torture, I say :)

Pics when you get yours, huh ???