PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Elf on Mesquite

Kathy Marshall
07-23-2011, 1:22 AM
This is the 1st piece I've used my new decorating elf on.
This is green mesquite about 9 x 3" with just a coat of walnut oil.

The rim didn't turn out great, I think I didn't put enough pressure on it (need to press down pretty hard), may also be that it works a little better on dryer wood.

The ring on the bottom turned out much better. I used the coving tool to cut a depression, then used a different bit for the texturing. The coving tool works great, cuts very clean. I used the point tool for the grooves, and it also worked great, clean cuts and it didn't try to spiral on me.
With a little more practice, I think it will work nicely.

Thanks for looking!
As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Steve bellinger
07-23-2011, 6:08 AM
Well Kathy as i don't have a elf don't have any advise. I will say that that's a real nice bowl from a great piece of wood. great job.

charlie knighton
07-23-2011, 7:35 AM
thanks for sharing, climbing that learning curve

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2011, 7:49 AM
Beautiful form, and keep us informed on your progress with the elf. I've considered making one but have not convinced myself that it's worth the effort. If I see some good results, I might just make one.

Chris Burgess
07-23-2011, 8:11 AM
I was checking out that Elf just the other day. Looks like a great tool.......wishful thinking at this point. None-the-less, that is a great looking bowl Kathy. My only concern w/ the green wood would be wheather or not design will 'pop' back out as it dries.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2011, 9:44 AM
Really a nice looking bowl and the elf seems to work pretty well.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2011, 9:54 AM
Great form on that bowl..........I like the ogee curve. I like the bottom ..........looks classy! Of course, you will get better results on the texturing in the next one!

Michael James
07-23-2011, 10:50 AM
That is one grand chunk of mesquite there,and a beautiful bowl. Very subtle on the rim, which may not be a bad thing. Like everything else, just play with it and you'll get it. As mentioned it's going to respond to different woods differently. Have fun.
mj

David E Keller
07-23-2011, 1:10 PM
Not bad for the maiden voyage of the elf! It's a sweet form and gorgeous wood!

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2011, 1:26 PM
Kathy, That is one of the nicest pieces of Mesquite I have seen! The little bit of sapwood on the bottom is a nice touch along with the ELF's patterns.

Always fun to try out new tools,

Jeff

Dane Fuller
07-23-2011, 6:58 PM
Kathy,
I like the subtle lines. A little more may have been too much for me. The bowl looks great and, of course, I love the mesquite.

Baxter Smith
07-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Nice little bit of decoration on a great piece of mesquite Kathy. Very pretty!

Kathy Marshall
07-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I was checking out that Elf just the other day. Looks like a great tool.......wishful thinking at this point. None-the-less, that is a great looking bowl Kathy. My only concern w/ the green wood would be wheather or not design will 'pop' back out as it dries.
Thanks Chris! The design isn't depressed into the wood, it's cut into the wood so there won't be anything to pop out as it dries.

Josh Bowman
07-24-2011, 2:51 AM
Kathy, I like the bowl. The new tool looks like it will work out well. I just watched 2 U-tube videos on it. Seems very versatile.