PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini or other?

Ed Lang
02-17-2005, 8:51 AM
Time is running out for me to make a decision on this, but only if I want to take advantage of any savings at the woodworking show tomorrow.

Is the Jet mini up to turning with only a 1/2 HP motor...... from other posts, I think it is, but at a slower rate.

Is the VS model worth $100 more? That is one I cannot find info on. So, If you have the VS please comment on it and if you don't, and could do it all over again, would you now buy the VS?

My applications for this lathe will be, pens, tops, bottle stoppers and bowls.

Now here come the part that is crazy.... I have a Grizzly G1495 sitting in the shop now. It has a 1" X 12tpi spindle, not the 1" X 8tpi that seems more standard. No small faceplate is offered and with the 12tpi, I have not found a 3" or 4" plate for it. the tool rest is too long to fit between the head stock and tail stock with a MT#2 pen mandrel installed, but I have a second tool rest that I can cut to a smaller size for that.

So I think it comes down to this,

Keep Grizzly or sell

If sell Grizzly, then buy Mini or wait for larger lathe

If buy Mini get VS or not

Jerry Clark
02-17-2005, 9:52 AM
My old Atlas lathe also has 1X12tpi spindle-- I bought a 1X8 die [$15] and rethreaded it. That was several years ago and has worked hundreds of hours. I also added a VS system from an old treadmill-- works great! :)

Kurt Aebi
02-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Ed,

If you sell the Griz, you could look also at the variable speed lathe from Harbor Freight. It is a full sized, but has variable speed and the 1"-8 headstock with #2 MT and you will get a longer bed than the mini. You can always do smaller items on th elarge lathe, but if you want to do longer things, you will have to get the bed extension. Cost is at $279 right now. I know a lot of people run down HF - but I have not had any problems with them and others here already have this lathe and like it.

Chris Lee
02-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Ed,

I can not help you decide to keep the Grizz or get the Jet. But I can tell you that the Jet will do everything you want it to. I have the Non VS Jet mini and I have turned everything from pens, tops, bottlestoppers, bowls, platters, boxes etc. You will not have any problems with it, whether you go VS or non. I do plan on upgrading to a larger VS lathe eventually, but the lathes I am looking at run about 2500 so I am still saving up. Most people that have the VS mini like to be able to change the speeds quickly for sanding and finishing etc., but my non VS takes all of 30 sec. to change speeds.

Good Luck on your decision,

Chris

I will be at the show tomorrow also.

RichMagnone
02-17-2005, 1:26 PM
What kind of discounts can normally be found on a Jet Mini at a WW show. Although I just attended the Chicago show, I had not yet turned my attention to turning. I could drive up to Milwaukee pretty easy if it were worth it, but I suppose since a full gas tank costs $20, I'd have to consider the discount first!

Ed Lang
02-17-2005, 2:28 PM
I will be able to tell you tomorrow night, but sorry I cannot say so today.

Randy Meijer
02-17-2005, 2:39 PM
What did you ever decide to do with the old Grizzly??

You can get a 3" aluminum faceplate from www.leevalley.com (http://www.leevalley.com) for $22.50 + shipping.

Ed Lang
02-17-2005, 3:16 PM
right now, it is up in the air.

My wife, who shares the shop, want the Jet Mini and sell the Grizzly G1495.

We will talk tonight, and see what we see tomorrow. I expect in 24 hours, this will be behind me and I'll be moving on to worring about something else:)

If we do bring home a Jet mini VS, guess I'll have to find a home for the Grizzly.

Peter Langevin
02-17-2005, 3:34 PM
the jet is great.. i have one.. but it all depends on what you really get into..

i added the bed extension.. and by the time i am done i am up over the cost of

a delta variable speed i found in the classifieds today.. (with sorby and marples chisels)..

but i say go with the jet.. and if you end up only doing pens and small stuff you won't need to upgrade..

but if your like some of the guys i know.. you'll end up with 3, 4, or even more lathes..

the quality of the jet is excellent.. you most likely won't have to do any real repairs on it while your actively turning.. i have not heard of anyone wearing out bearings or the motor. just basic stuff like the live center and switches.. but those are minimal..

best of luck..

RichMagnone
02-19-2005, 6:39 PM
Ed, any results from the WW show this weekend?

Ed Lang
02-21-2005, 1:41 PM
To try and answer the question about what happened at the Woodworking Show this weekend........

My wife and I put our little boy on the school bus Friday and headed to Chantilly VA for the day. Since we had a family member on standby to get him off of the bus in the afternoon, we figured we could stay all day!

To make a long story short, we had a blast. After taking a quick walk around and taking in everything, we started to focus on what we came to do..... buy! And buy she.... I mean we did. A little while after we had made the first pass round the building, the lights went out! Seems the only folks still able to demo were the woodcarvers. The place got quite but still had plenty of light as there are many sky lights. The power was still out when we left.

After getting the tools and equipment home, we decided to move some items in the shop around to make for a better work flow. Then I found out that the One Way Talon chuck we got from TWC did not have the adapter with it! I even asked as we were paying for it if one was inside, but didn't check myself. So we decided on Saturday morning to drive back and get the adapter. Well you know you cannot just go to a woodworking show and just pickup one little item....... But this time we each knew where everything was so this should go quickly. I found out that the power was off for about 3 hours the day before.

I went to the Capitol Area Woodturners area and watch and chatted with folks there and my wife worked the floor gathering up goodie after goodie. Only comming back for me when she found something I had missed the day before. After a nice lunch, we headed back home and started to put the shop back in order so at least something could be made before the weekend was over.

I got to make my first 6 Freedom Pens on Sunday so my weekend ended on a very positive note. I'll be posting pictures of the pens on the FP section after I get home and take pictures of them.

http://kc4ylx.smugmug.com/photos/16242872-M.jpg