PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift Question

Mike Goetzke
07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
I've had a Woodpecker's PRL-V2 for two or three years. I have used it for several projects. Tonight I was getting ready to mill my rail & stiles for my big kitchen project and found on my samples that when assembled the two did not lay flat. After investigating everything I could think of I discovered the router spindle was not square to the router plate. Next I found that the router clamps do not self align the router. It took all the hands of my son and I to keep it square and tighten it. I was surprised how much misalignment you could have. I have a centering cone and guess I could try to use that. Just wondering if anyone has a more fullproof way to align this.

Thanks,

Mike

glenn bradley
07-23-2011, 9:36 AM
I first get the router centered so the ruler markings are useful. Then for perpendicular alignment, I set the rig face down on the tablesaw on some setup bars. This leave a parallel gap between the plate and the saw top. The Milwaukee 5625 collet has a large machined face. With the motor snug enough to stay put but, not hella-tight, I used a backlight and a rubberized dead-blow mallet to tap the motor into a "no light" position and cinched it down. I may have just gotten lucky but, have had no problems.