PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's??

Bob Lasley
04-18-2003, 5:00 PM
Greetings all,

So what's cookin' this weekend?

If the weather cooperates, looks like I will be spending a fair amount of time in the garden. If not, more shop time!! I do intend to get the remote hooked up for my DC and I need to get the design done for the crib I am going to build for my soon to arrive grandson.

Have a great weekend and a happy Easter all,
Bob

keith zimmerman
04-18-2003, 6:32 PM
I have to go pick up some black cherry from a guy at work. He has it sealed, sitting on his back porch. Then, I'm over to Terry Quiram's to check out his new lathe and pick the parts of the cyclone DC I won last weekend over in Indiana. May car was too small to fit all the parts in it so Terry offered to transport it back to Illinois for me.

I also want to build and test a screwchuck I have designed. Then practice some of the stuff I saw last weekend. I guess I'll also try to get to the wood store.

We'll see how much gets done.

keithz

Scott Greaves
04-18-2003, 7:06 PM
Tomorrow we're going to see how much snow is still on top of our cabin! As soon as we can gain access to it without walking through snow for a quarter of a mile, we'll start going up there every weekend.

Then on Sunday, if the weather is nice, I hope to drag out the big lathe (Jet 1236 - hey, it's bigger than the mini!) and turn a nice madrone burl bowl for my Sister.

Wish me luck!

Scott.

Happy Easter!

Steve Clardy
04-18-2003, 7:18 PM
fencing again. I junked my original square tube griz fence for the one that has 7' round tubes. Boy, what a doo doo mistake big time. This fence is junk. Aluminum housing moves to much, when you adjust the rear lock, then it won't slide easy.
So last week I shopped and settled on the shop fox classic and got some good reviews on it here. Well, someone posted some other links for other fences, and 1 of them was a fence I had seen at a show two years ago. Bit I had lost my info and couldn't find it. Went to that link and there it was. They have added an accessory router fence for it also. So I will be installing it this weekend I think, it just came in today.
Also need to go to town and mow down 10 acres of last years grass to get it cleaned up for hay baling again this year.
Also need to burn off about 6 acres of brush here on the home place of 31 acres.
Need to get the lawn mower up and running for the season.[ugh]. Hmmm, probably some other things in there too.
Now the wife asked me to go to church with Her as it's Easter Sunday. Will have to fit that in also if I don't want to be living in the shop.
Steve:D

John Miliunas
04-18-2003, 8:34 PM
...Got company coming for the weekend, which includes two pint-sized curtain climbers. Hope to at least get out to the shop long enough to get a little sprucing up done and maybe finish my practice run at tuning up another small hand plane. Need to get to the big box and pick up some treated 2x12 to replace some stair treads and get some patio blocks. Hey, just about none of this sounds like too much fun! Oh well....All will be OK. Everyone, have yourselves a great weekend and good Holiday! :cool:

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-18-2003, 8:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by keith zimmerman
[B]I have to go pick up some black cherry from a guy at work. He has it sealed, sitting on his back porch.

Keith-
Don't you just hate it when friends leave hunks of sealed Cherry sitting on their porch for ya? I just hate when that happens.

Have a fun time! I hope to get some turning in as well.

Jen :)

Keith Outten
04-18-2003, 9:35 PM
Aarg!!!

Had to shut down my lumber kiln today and open the box to remove the dryer unit. It seems the fan motor is worn out, it was making a terrible racket. I've got the dryer unit in the shop and have removed the fan but won't be able to get a replacement motor until Monday morning. Meanwhile I need to paint the dryer enclosure and get it cleaned up and ready for the new fan motor.

500 Bd/Ft of eight quarter white oak is loaded in the box now destined to be new porch swings sometime in later spring.

Jim Baker
04-18-2003, 10:09 PM
Tomorrow I hope to complete and stain some raised panel doors and paint the desk I made for our daughter.

Sunday, it's church and dinner at my parents' place.

keith zimmerman
04-18-2003, 11:38 PM
I do hate that.

Actually, I'm looking forward to getting this cherry. It should be decent since he sealed it with paraffin.

keithz

Dr. Zack Jennings
04-19-2003, 7:53 AM
Goog Friday Trip: In pursuit of another hobby, Photography, I took a 400 mile trip through Southern Missouri photographing Mills and old structures. My favorite Mill is Allys Mill (http://www.zackjennings.com/photos/Mills/3559AllysMill.jpg). The one with the most interesting woodworking is the Hodgson Mill shown below. This Mill was recently restored with all of the support beams replaced by Amish Craftsmen. These posts and beams are @ 10" Square, rough hewn, morticed and pegged. I was suprised to see all the joints caulked and and the wood sealed with what looks like spar varnish. The craftsmanship is excellent. These timbers will be impossible to sand (without removing the hewn marks) and I know (DAMHIKT) the varnish will need to be reapplied. Me thinks, they should have never used the varnish. I'll bet the Amish were not involved in that decision.

I will be working on shop cabinets today and may start on a fence gate. Also want to get some input from my helper, Bobby, on puppy proofing the not so "portable" dog pen.
http://www.zackjennings.com/Photos/Mills/3610HodgsonMillApr03.jpg

Ken Salisbury
04-19-2003, 8:40 AM
Well now -- Several things are in the plans.

Oldest Son's Birthday is the 22nd. However Daughter-in-law is throwing a suprise BDay party for him this afternoon.

Later today I need to hide my Easter eggs in the back yard. Then I can hunt for them on Sunday when I return from playing golf.

"Senility ya know"

<p align="center">

"HAVE A GREAT EASTER"

Terry Quiram
04-19-2003, 8:58 AM
Yesterday I watched a neighbor's tree removal. A huge willow and a Red Elm. Talked to the tree remover and he said they burn the stuff that isn't fit for firewood. I got some large pieces of Elm to turn. I arranged for him to come and remove a large hollow Ash in my yard. The danged thing was full of ants almost to the top. The sawyer is starting a new job removing 7 large Maples today. Guess where I will be? He said I could have all I want. Saves him from having to haul them away. Will have to get the air refreshner out cause Maple stinks when you turn it green. I am planning on at least 2 truck loads. Probably won't be able to stand up straight tomorrow. Keith bring a trailer when you come today!!!:D

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Terry Quiram
Yesterday I watched a neighbor's tree removal. A huge willow and a Red Elm.

Hey Terry-

John Weber gave me a pice of Elm a few years ago and it's really nice to turn. You'll love it!

Have a nice weekend :)

BTW...the scroll sawn piece you I won in the raffle looks so nice in the window at the cottage!

Jen

Bruce Page
04-19-2003, 6:04 PM
A busy weekend here. I had a licensed electrician over this morning to run a dedicated line from the main house electrical panel to the shop sub-panel. One thing that I did wrong when I installed the sub-panel was to tie the neutral & ground wires together. He said that was a no-no on a sub-panel. Other than that, he said my wiring job looked pretty good. I know I’ll sleep better knowing everything is now legal.:cool:

Now I have to go and finish the yard work :mad:, then back to work on the cradle. :D

Life is a moderately good play with a badly written third act. -- Truman Capote

Pete Harbin
04-20-2003, 1:47 AM
Heading out to Dallas tomorrow for a week-long systems training.

No shop time today, but I did see the Wild take Game 5 from the Avs, and saw an incredible game 6 between the, oh-so-close-to-my-heart, Stars and those pesky Oilers. Mike Modano nailed the game winner in the third...Stars advance to the second round!
(I live and die by this team...since the old North Stars days...so I've done a lot of dying in my 33 years :D )

But the best part...look for me next week on ESPN! A buddy of mine is hooking us up for games 1 and 2 of the Stars vs. the Ducks. Corporate Box...I'll be rooting in style!

I did receive my first e-bay wood buys on Friday. Got a set of spalted sycamore bookmatched boards, some curly cherry (WOW!) and some curly maple. I was very pleased.

Pete

Stars 3
Oilers 2

GO STARS!

Dennis Peacock
04-20-2003, 2:05 AM
Been raining all day and stormy as well. I plan on getting the rest of my Cyclone setup done, outlet filter, fine dust box and hookup to the tablesaw. I still am trying to figure out how to best make the hookup for my CMS. I really like Terry's design but I keep forgetting to get the measurements and the How-I-Did-It..

Other than that...I am sure it will be many trips to Lowes to get stuff for the final hookups.

Oh....I will have the Wireless Remote for my DC done this weekend as well. I will post pics.