PDA

View Full Version : RCAF Roundel Bowl

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2011, 3:32 PM
Incorporated the Royal Canadian Air Force Roundel into this bowl. Started the piercing as part of a public demonstration of embellishment at the Woodworking Show in West Springfield MA. Later on airbrushed it and finished with Wipe-on-Poly. Had not really set out with the RCAF Roundel in mind, I started with just a Maple Leaf design inspired by the Maple Medley gallery at the Hartford Symposium and realized midway through that a blue rim would make a national symbol for our friends to the north.

Chris Burgess
07-22-2011, 3:36 PM
Great design. About your piercing, do you draw it out or just start popping holes in it?

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2011, 3:42 PM
In this case I drew the maple leaf and the rim and then free form pierced everything in between. I generally just free form pierce between lines.

I plan to start hiding imagery in the piercing at some point, at which time I'd have to draw out at least some of the piercing pattern.

Dane Fuller
07-22-2011, 3:53 PM
Eric,
Very nice. I love it actually.

Until just now I had resisted all urges to get an airbrush rig and haven't even thought about piercing. Is this the sultry, come hither voice of the vortex I'm hearing?

Must. Resist.... <typed with clenched jaw & deep frown>

BILL DONAHUE
07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
That is a very impressive piece. Gives most of us something to strive for.

Baxter Smith
07-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Great work!

Jim Burr
07-22-2011, 11:24 PM
The pierceing really catches my eye...could you pass on the dimensions and finish?

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2011, 7:46 AM
Thanks everyone.

Dane, never underestimate the power of the vortex!

Jim, it is 9.5" (24 cm) across with a wall thickness around 1/16 at the rim growing to 1/8" at the foot. The finish is two part process, after airbrushing, I give it a light mist coat of Shellac to seal the image. I then follow up with Wipe-on-Poly applied with a rag.

Richard Jones
07-23-2011, 8:35 AM
Beautiful, great detailing work. Thanks for sharing.

Did you mention the type of wood? Gotta be maple!!

Rich

Eric Holmquist
07-23-2011, 9:01 AM
Unfortunately it's not maple. I think it is beech, but I had turned it months before I pierced it and forgot to label it.