PDA

View Full Version : Hand Planes

Everette Harmon
02-17-2005, 6:36 AM
I have been following things in this section of the forum for a while. I have been looking for some planes on ebay and as others have stated getting a decent Stanley plane is ridiculous. I’ve seen some of the other planes mention on the forum, but was wondering about the Miller Falls. They seem to be pretty decent and sell for a good price. Any information or, does anyone have any? Thanks in advance.
Everette

John Longwitz
02-17-2005, 5:52 PM
...a Model 9, Model 14 and Madel 18 (Stanley equivalent #4, #5, and #6) and they are very nice. Did a bit of research and they are supposed to perform well. I haven't got into using them yet as need to build a bench (still in my collector phase). Very heavy castings on all three and great condition. Think I paid about $60 ea. on average plus shipping.

Everette Harmon
02-17-2005, 6:14 PM
Thanks for the information.
Everette

Richard Gillespie
02-17-2005, 8:24 PM
IMHO Miller Falls planes with the split lever cap and the larger support area on the frog may very well be superior to latter (after 1930) Stanley planes. The only reservation to that is that the heavy castings used on Stanley WWII planes and thicker irons are a real plus. I'm considering reducing my plane collection and wouldn't considerer selling any of my Miller Falls planes.

Mark Berenbrok
02-19-2005, 12:20 AM
I have Millers Falls 9, 10, & 22 (types 3 & 4) planes and they perform like a champ. The japanning seems to be heavier than the Stanleys, and the machining and extra area on the frogs is a big plus. The MF9 (same as a Stanley #4) is my go to plane, and the MFs normally sell for less than Stanleys on a certain website. Make sure you get one with a 3-point lver cap.

Mike Holbrook
02-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Is that an old manufacturer or a new onw?

Everette Harmon
02-19-2005, 4:41 AM
It is an older one. I think they went into the 80's but started back in the 1800's. This is a link that was left to me and I think it gives some good info.
http://www.public.coe.edu/~rroeder/mf.htm
Everette