View Full Version : Daryll & Daryll

charlie knighton
07-22-2011, 7:51 AM
maple stump

29 x 27 1 3/4

influenced by Nick Agar & John Keeton

John Keeton
07-22-2011, 8:06 AM
Charlie, I am honored but at a loss as to what influence I provided!:confused: I have never done anything that neat!! Nice use of that stump, for sure! Beautiful wood.

Richard Jones
07-22-2011, 8:54 AM
Neat looking stuff!!! I love the mix of old and new, reclaimed at its best!!

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Really great looking Charlie. Really well done.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Hi........my name is Larry.......this is my brother Daryll, and this is my other brother, Daryll...............:D:D

From the Bob Newhart show???

Tim Thiebaut
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
That is beautiful, I want to try making a wall hanging like this someday when I can find the right piece of wood...

hhmm.....but where is Larry?

EDIT - LOL...Roger and I posted it at the exact same time!!

charlie knighton
07-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Daryll & Daryll

John,

you suggested i needed a stand on my last stump, which was a very good suggestion, hence the influence. i appreciate all suggestions and take them very seriously. thank you for your attention.

charlie

thanks also for your comments Richard, Bernie, Roger & Tim

Chris Burgess
07-22-2011, 7:48 PM
SPECTACULAR!!!! Nice when mother nature does most of the work for you. Awesome piece.

charlie knighton
07-22-2011, 8:19 PM
thanks Chris, the wood is nice

it is a little tricky getting the faceplate screwed on without crossthreading by yourself :), espically since i had to put the faceplate on twice on each side

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 8:22 PM
Charlie.........what prompted you to name it Daryl & Daryl?

charlie knighton
07-22-2011, 8:33 PM
Roger,

i do not have a name in mind til after i finish the piece, turning is part of the process, and naming i consider a process also. i try to connect with the viewer, it helps if we have some shared memories. Daryll & Daryll is what seemed right to me, it only took 2 hours, i rejected Jeklly & Hyde......

Baxter Smith
07-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Pretty cool Charlie! How did you hold it to finish the bottom? Whichever side that is! Have any in process pictures?

charlie knighton
07-23-2011, 7:27 AM
Baxter,

thanks for your comment. this time i could not use the 2 #8 screws and hot glue, because i did not want any screw holes. i use some boards bolted to mdf. there was some slippage and i like the other better, but its all a learnig experience.

btw: Nick Agar is having a class at Arrowmont this fall, i believe Arrowmont is offering a limited time 20% discount.