PDA

View Full Version : Nova Banjo.

Hilel Salomon
07-22-2011, 7:17 AM
I'm guessing that this applies to all the Novas. I have a dvr xp, and I like it fine. The banjo, though was constantly giving me problems and Jeff Nicol offered to make one for me reasonably. It is fantastic. Unlike the commercials ones, about which I read, you can put tool rests very close to the wood and the banjo is so sturdy and steady, that even a hack like me can produce better work.

Hilel

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 7:20 AM
I'm guessing that this applies to all the Novas. I have a dvr xp, and I like it fine. The banjo, though was constantly giving me problems and Jeff Nicol offered to make one for me reasonably. It is fantastic. Unlike the commercials ones, about which I read, you can put tool rests very close to the wood and the banjo is so sturdy and steady, that even a hack like me can produce better work.

Hilel

What...........no pics? :eek::confused::D

John Keeton
07-22-2011, 7:27 AM
I saw this one in production mode while visiting with Jeff - superior craftsmanship by Jeff!!

Alan Trout
07-22-2011, 9:12 AM
Hilel,

I guess I am one that has never had any trouble with mine. It locks down very well and stays locked down and is very study. But have wished that it was a little bit longer particularly for bowls with the head swiveled in the 45 degree position. I would love to see a picture of your banjo. I know that Jeff is a pretty dang crafty guy with many talents and a heck or a nice guy to boot. I really want to see what it looks like.

Congratulations,

Alan

Michael Mills
07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Like Alan, I have never had a problem with mine that normal maintenance did not correct. (It was difficult sliding the rest front to back, not down the ways). I do use spray graphite after cleaning the camshaft rather than oil as Nova suggest.
I would be very interested in seeing the extended banjo also. Most of the time I only swivel the head to 22.5* and it has not been a major problem. I have thought about making a stout rest with 8 inches on the left hand side.

Then again, maybe I should use the outboard banjo. Its only function so far has been to hold the knock out rod. :o

Steve Kubien
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Never had any trouble with the banjo on my old 1624 or my new DVR (same banjo).

Alan Zenreich
07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
No trouble at all with the banjo on my DVR XP either. A couple of weeks back I was using a full size OneWay lathe in a class and several of us were struggling with the banjos on the class lathes. It surprised us... maybe they were just out of adjustment.

Hilel Salomon
07-22-2011, 6:25 PM
I am really sorry that I have no pics. Here in VA, I have an incredibly slow internet connection and can't upload pictures. Jeff's banjo is twice the width of the factory one,also longer and the tool rest is very close to the side. I had no great problem sliding the original one up and down, but when I would try to get an angle, or I would extend it, the banjo would not tighten up. Jeff's does. I promise to take pics of it, and when I get back to Columbia, SC, I'll post them. The difference is night and day. If you use the adjustable headstock, the sturdiness, length and flexibility of Jeff's will come as a pleasant surprise. I have no financial stake in Jeff's enterprises, get no discounts, and have no axe to grind. Just like it when an aftermarket product is this good.

Hilel

Steve Kubien
07-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Hmmm, I can see the benefit of having a longer and beefier banjo when swivelling the headstock. But, as I said, I've never had a problem with the stock one, plus I now have the outboard rig....

Jeff Nicol
07-23-2011, 1:45 PM
I can tell you that it is 18.5" long x 3" wide x 2.5" high with the tool post holder offset towards the headstock, based on the one on my PM3520. It will still be up to Hilel to show you photo proof.

Jeff

Matt Hutchinson
07-24-2011, 7:13 AM
I have been disappointed with the banjo on my 1624-44. I think it's engineered "dumbly". That is, there a couple design choices that were made that don't seem to make sense. But I'm glad that you have a great one now! Have fun!

Hutch