PDA

View Full Version : Dark Of Heart

Johnny Taylor
07-22-2011, 5:07 AM
This is the second in my new series of darker feeling pieces. Its a sculptural form made from Elm as I wanted the open grain lines to show through the black to give this beastie a bit of skin texture. It has 32 individually turned aluminium spikes, 22 on the outside and 10 as 'teeth' on the inside.
It represents the darkness that resides in a corner of all of our hearts, the monster within, the part that contains our anger, we shut out its voice or at least don't listen to it but it is still there.

Comments and critiques welcomed

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/dark.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/darkly002.jpg

There is a brief description of the physical design on my blog, linked under 'homepage' in my signature.

Dan Hintz
07-22-2011, 5:50 AM
Definitely a cool (and disturbing) design...

Marc Himes
07-22-2011, 6:20 AM
Your piece is well done and evokes an emotional response in me of "don't touch, stay away". Despite that it is also intriguing.

Jim Burr
07-22-2011, 6:36 AM
I hope I stay on your good side!! Really cool vision!

Eric Holmquist
07-22-2011, 6:50 AM
Beautiful but scary looking!

charlie knighton
07-22-2011, 7:54 AM
very nice, i can see it in a gallery

Michael James
07-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Johnny, I love the piece but I think it will appeal to a greater number of people with a less specific, more vague interpretation of the title "dark of heart". Subjective experience on a deep level is very specific, and personal. Trance language is purposfully vague so all may be included. Just a thought.
The most popular songs are those written in a way that "eveyone" can relate to.
Michael

Steve Schlumpf
07-22-2011, 3:36 PM
This one is very cool also! I really like the contrasting colors and how the spikes (teeth?) pierce the form! Looking forward to seeing the next variation!

Jeff Fagen
07-22-2011, 3:50 PM
Way Goth Dude!!

Tim Thiebaut
07-22-2011, 5:54 PM
Very nice Johnny, this is going to be a very cool series of turnings. I wouldnt mind seeing a composition photo of all of them together...

Chris Burgess
07-22-2011, 7:39 PM
do you turn that Aluminum on your wood lathe, or a metal late?

Johnny Taylor
07-23-2011, 4:25 PM
Thank you for the replies and input to this piece, I really do appreciate it.

Johnny, I love the piece but I think it will appeal to a greater number of people with a less specific, more vague interpretation of the title "dark of heart". Subjective experience on a deep level is very specific, and personal. Trance language is purposfully vague so all may be included. Just a thought.
The most popular songs are those written in a way that "eveyone" can relate to.
Michael

Thanks Michael, that is a valid point, in a gallery or on my website it would only have itself and title displayed and would therefore be up for any individuals own feelings or interpretation, I just like to share my thoughts about the designs and how they come about with you fellow turners so that hopefully you get some idea of where I'm coming from.

do you turn that Aluminum on your wood lathe, or a metal late?

On my wood lathe from round bar mounted by way of a Jacobs chuck.

Roger Chandler
07-23-2011, 5:23 PM
I think this piece got the cover on WOW, did it not? Congratulations!

Johnny Taylor
07-23-2011, 5:54 PM
I think this piece go the cover on WOW, did it not? Congratulations!

Thanks Roger,it did get the cover over on WoWs. It was a real nice surprise when I opened the WoW website this morning!

Richard Kennedy UK
07-23-2011, 6:56 PM
congrats on the cover Really nice piece - very thought provoking good job!