PDA

View Full Version : Glue Question: The Elusive Titebond 50

Jared McMahon
07-21-2011, 9:25 PM
Many big-name guitar makers say they use Franklin Titebond 50 for gluing. After some poking around on the Franklin site I finally found info on it, but it seems impossible to find for sale. Is this only sold in 40-gallon drums or something? I was planning on experimenting with a few different glues for instruments (hide glue, Titebond Original, etc.) but I might have to scratch this one of the list.

John Coloccia
07-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Shoot....this is just my opinion but regular Titebond is fine for EVERY joint on any guitar you intend to make, save perhaps for plastic binding. You can use other glues and many of them are fine too.

Wes Grass
07-22-2011, 1:09 AM
Roger Siminoff says, if the joints *fit*, it doesn't matter.

Chris Fournier
07-22-2011, 9:35 AM
About the only times I'd really get crazy (hah) looking for a special glue on instrument work would be when the joint needs to be easily maintained and reversible or dissimilar materials are being used as John has pointed out. I use a type II PVA from a local supplier and it has never failed me. Poor joints - on occasion!

John Coloccia
07-22-2011, 11:40 AM
FWIW, I happen use Titebond II for most of my joints now, and regular Elmers Glue All for when I need a longer open time (and I'm not worried about heat resistance...so rosettes, for example). Why? For no other reason than that's what Cumpiano told me to do and and he feels as though the better moisture resistance of TBII is advantageous. Who am I to argue with a master?

Wes Grass
07-22-2011, 9:58 PM
Asked the Franklin rep in LV about this. He said it's better in terms of set time, heat resistance, and sanding. He also added, "if you can get ahold of it, you'll like it".

It's available in 5 gallon pails, but you have to find a Franklin Industrial distributor. Your generic Titebond dealer can't get it.

Chris Fournier
07-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Asked the Franklin rep in LV about this. He said it's better in terms of set time, heat resistance, and sanding. He also added, "if you can get ahold of it, you'll like it".

It's available in 5 gallon pails, but you have to find a Franklin Industrial distributor. Your generic Titebond dealer can't get it.

Better in terms of set time doesn't mean anything until we all know whether you are after a longer or shorter open time! Which is it?

Wes Grass
07-23-2011, 2:29 PM
Assembly time about the same. Set time a bit faster.

I suspect this is what LMI and others are selling as their special 'instrument glue', but I couldn't get anything out of the rep other than 'we sell it to a lot of people'.

John Coloccia
07-23-2011, 6:46 PM
Assembly time about the same. Set time a bit faster.

I suspect this is what LMI and others are selling as their special 'instrument glue', but I couldn't get anything out of the rep other than 'we sell it to a lot of people'.

I assumed it was Elmer's Glue All. LOL. It's become a pet peeve of my that StewMac and LMII rebrand common products but won't tell you what they are. It would be find save for the fact that they also refuse to reveal a lot of the properties and specifications of the stuff that they're rebranding. I just really don't see what the big secret is.

The LMII glue, from what I've experienced, has a pretty long open time, not at all similar to Titebond. That's what makes me think it's not this Titebond 50 stuff based on your description, but really I don't have any idea and I've pretty much stopped using the stuff.

Chris Fournier
07-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes branding of mass producers goods is a real PITA. It does seem to encourage retail markup though!

Check out this link: http://www.veneersystems.com/index.php/action/category/id/3/

These guys are on your side of the border and as you can see they do a decent job of identifying their glue properties and the product range is quite excellent. They are easy to deal with and if they don't have an answer they will get one for you. Shipping within the US would be too much for me to speak of as I tear up thinking how inexpensive and easy it would be. Lucky stiffs!