PDA

View Full Version : Help,need lathe info!!!

Greg Webb
07-21-2011, 9:07 PM
Hi,
I'm looking at a Delta Rockwell Homecraft 11X36 wood lathe and trying to find out any info before buying. Here is a pic of a lathe like the one I'm looking at.

Mike Willeson
07-21-2011, 9:40 PM
Poke around and ask questions on the Old Woodworking Machines Forum. owwm.org ..they know all about the old stuff!

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-22-2011, 7:38 AM
Greg,
That is exactly like my previous lathe. I still have it but it is tucked into a corner of my storage area. It is a fine old lathe but has none of the features we look for today. Mine has jack shafts so I have a ton of speeds but moving the belt between pulleys has never been convenient. It was OK for spindle turning but not as good for bowls. If you want to PM me, I would be happy to talk to you about it. I also have a lot of accessories that don't fit my new lathe.
faust

Jerry Marcantel
07-22-2011, 8:52 AM
Greg, I still have one just like it, and it did the jobs I got it for. I think it's a good lathe, but there are some issues that I caused.
I broke the tailstock where the handle goes into it for the quill adjustment, but since it was aluminum, or pot metal, I made another cap and did a different cap that will be screwed through the housing. The cone bearings in the headstock are nice, but they in turn need oil, and the felt oil seals always seeped a little. I have since changed to O rings, happened upon another lathe, put this one aside, so don't know if the new O rings will prevent leakage yet.
I broke that wimpy banjo a couple years ago, so will model one after the one on my other lathe, which is a cam lock, or just use it on this lathe. Hope this helps......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Ron May
07-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I have the same lathe. I acquired it nearly 25years ago and still use it from time to time. It is pretty solid for its size... you do however need to pay attention to the headstock bearings as they need oiling on occasion. Mine is set up with a countershaft which allows for many different speed settings... from about 200 rpm- 3000 rpm. Both head and tailstock take #2 MT. The Headstock has an indexing system, and you can turn outboard with a tool rest stand. There were quite a few accessories available for this lathe including a compound slide for metal turning. My lathe is mounted on a wooden stand but cast iron legs were also available for this lathe. The only negative I have (at least with mine) is vibration. I think most of it is induced thru the countershaft arrangement and multiple drive belts. Excluding more modern features such as sealed bearings, electronic variable speed, rotating headstock, etc., it is a fine lathe.

Greg Webb
07-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Thanks Gentlemen,
Very nice to hear. I'm still up in the air about this. I did not know originally that this lathe had aluminum housings on the head stock and tail stock. I thought anything Delta or Rockwell was cast iron! There is a gentleman with a Delta 1460 in my area but he wants $400 for it but it has the iron legs and jackshaft? I thought I could get an older lathe for less but maybe they are going up in value now or the economy is so bad people aren't selling anything lightly anymore!!!