PDA

View Full Version : Solvent for the "green goo" in Bell System Yankee braces? Cleaning nickel plating?

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-21-2011, 8:37 PM
Picked up a nice 8" Bell System Yankee brace the other day. Ratchet (although not the plunger) of course, is frozen solid with the mysterious "green goo". Seen the tear-apart on George Langford's website, and taken a bit of a peek in the thing - spring appears intact, at least.

Anyone who's dealt with one of these before have a recommended solvent? Would a citrus-based bicycle part degreaser type thing work, or does it take something stronger? I'm assuming some elbow grease will be involved regardless. This stuff has gotten pretty damn hard.

Also - the nickel plating on this is still in great condition (which is a pleasant change from all my other braces) - except for one mild spot of light rust on the chuck's knurling- any thoughts on the best way to clean that bit of rust without tarnishing or damaging the surrounding nickel?

Joe Bailey
07-21-2011, 8:50 PM
I have successfully used Kano Labs SiliKroil Penetrating Solvent (http://www.amazon.com/SiliKroil-Penetrating-Solvent-aerosol-SILIKROIL/dp/B0003041WK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311295686&sr=8-3) then followed up with 3-in-1 oil.

Casey Gooding
07-21-2011, 8:51 PM
A good degreaser like Simple Green should take care of it. I usually use whatever is cheapest in the auto section at Wally World.

Joe Bailey
07-21-2011, 9:13 PM
As to the rust found scattered on otherwise good nickel plated tools, I use a really soft brass bristle brush lubed with WD-40 (never steel or stainless steel or steel wool). Alternatively you could use a grey (ultra fine) 3M scotch pad (again using WD-40).

Kim Gibbens
07-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Are you taking it apart like in the write up or are you trying remove the green goo without tearing it down? I bought one that was seized up with that stuff and I did a complete tear down. That green stuff was crystalized and it would have taken quite a long soaking to remove it. I was way better off taking it completely apart and cleaning just like in the instructions. It was much easier than I thought it would be. Mine is just like a new one now.