PDA

View Full Version : I feel so honoured.. They finally got around to me!

Bill Cunningham
07-21-2011, 8:36 PM
Just got a call from "John" at the Microsoft Windows Technical Department very concerned about the virus on my computer, that he would gladly remove for me if only I would enter a few simple commands to give him access..

Needless to say, I was, shall we say, less than polite :rolleyes: when I told him exactly where he could stuff his computer, and this very well known scam.. Although, I do believe that it might be anatomically difficult unless he was using his I-Phone.. :D

If they haven't called you yet, when they do, it might be fun to act really stupid and play along.. Darn.. Wheres that <anykey>:cool:

From the Accent, he may have been calling direct from Mumbai.. I've already had 'the call' in the shop, but this was the first time I got one at home, actually he was asking for my wife. Then, when I asked him who's calling he went into his script about needing access to her computer..What a moron...

anthony wall
07-21-2011, 8:44 PM
thanks for the heads up that one has not reached thailand yet,now i will be ready when it does

Bill Cunningham
07-21-2011, 8:47 PM
Ya, It's right up there with "I'm your nephew/aunt/uncle/cousin/grandson/granddaughter/etc." stranded in London, a victim of a mugging and I need you to wire me money to get home..haha Their hoping to get a Senior that won't check first..

Gary Hodgin
07-21-2011, 9:02 PM
I don't understand why the fbi or some law enforcement doesn't trace these calls and do something nasty to those making them. I realize the callers are probably not in the U.S., but it looks like there could be some sort of international agreement on these things.

It's not just an international problem either. More could certainly be done about nuisance calls right here. It doesn't seem like anyone is interested in the issue. I have my phone numbers on both the state (TN) as well as federal do not call lists. About a month ago, we started getting calls from some 800 number (or similar) and no one would say anything when I answered. We'd got about 3 or 4 of these everyday for a week or so. I googled the number and found that it was someone selling home security systems and that what I was experiencing was common.

I filed an online complaint with the state regulatory agency for do not call. We exchanged a couple of emails and finally someone called me to explain that the law did not apply because technically no one offered me a product or service. I told the guy that I thought calling and not answering ought to be a violation of the law. He agreed but said that it didn't violate the law and the state would have to change the law. The only evidence I had that it was security system sales was the google link. After a few more calls someone answered and they got an ear full right away. The caller never got around to what he was selling but the calls have stopped.

I don't think this stuff would be as wide spread if politicians would take it more seriously. Stealing info as was tried with you could be devastating.

I

Greg Portland
07-22-2011, 12:40 PM
If they haven't called you yet, when they do, it might be fun to act really stupid and play along....especially if you don't have windows on your system.

Curt Harms
07-23-2011, 8:45 AM
...especially if you don't have windows on your system.

There was a thread on Ubuntu Forums about this with some creative ideas. One I like was to set up a dedicated Windows box just for this purpose. Install the minimum RAM and underclock it--a LOT. Then let this caller try to "fix" it--he'd be at it ALL day :p. The other idea was to install some REAL nasty malware on this sucker system -- just to return the favor.

John Shuk
07-26-2011, 9:37 AM
They are too busy making sure that Bobby Unser isn't riding a snowmobile onto restricted land!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703749504576172714184601654.html

I don't understand why the fbi or some law enforcement doesn't trace these calls and do something nasty to those making them. I realize the callers are probably not in the U.S., but it looks like there could be some sort of international agreement on these things.

It's not just an international problem either. More could certainly be done about nuisance calls right here. It doesn't seem like anyone is interested in the issue. I have my phone numbers on both the state (TN) as well as federal do not call lists. About a month ago, we started getting calls from some 800 number (or similar) and no one would say anything when I answered. We'd got about 3 or 4 of these everyday for a week or so. I googled the number and found that it was someone selling home security systems and that what I was experiencing was common.

I filed an online complaint with the state regulatory agency for do not call. We exchanged a couple of emails and finally someone called me to explain that the law did not apply because technically no one offered me a product or service. I told the guy that I thought calling and not answering ought to be a violation of the law. He agreed but said that it didn't violate the law and the state would have to change the law. The only evidence I had that it was security system sales was the google link. After a few more calls someone answered and they got an ear full right away. The caller never got around to what he was selling but the calls have stopped.

I don't think this stuff would be as wide spread if politicians would take it more seriously. Stealing info as was tried with you could be devastating.

I

Mike Davis NC
07-26-2011, 1:17 PM
Yeah, I had a call like that.

So, you're from Microsoft?
yes sir

and you're going to fix my computer?
yes sir

Just exactly how are you going to do that?
Just enter this command and I will remove the virus.

On my Mac?
oh. have a good day!

Myk Rian
07-26-2011, 10:24 PM
I had the same call a couple months ago. I asked her how MS knew my phone number, since I have never given it to them.
Some more mumble jumbo from her, and I told her to take the scam someplace else.
I e-mailed a letter to the editor of the local paper about it, and they published it.