PDA

View Full Version : New GRIZZLY 513X2BF bandsaw

Dave Lehnert
07-21-2011, 7:46 PM
Just noticed that Grizzly added a X2bf to the 513 saw lineup.
I am not clear if it is a true footbrake or a foot switch that triggers the motor brake.
This is what the description say on the X2BF page.

The motor brake on the G0513X2B stops the blade in 3 seconds and ensures greater safety and faster production times.

Notice it does not say G0513xBF,

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Foot-Brake/G0513X2BF

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2011, 7:57 PM
I was unable to find a manual for this bandsaw but the spec sheet says the motor has a 90volt magnetic brake......and it also says it has a "foot brake stop"......I wonder if it has both....an electric motor stop and a mechanical brake on the drive wheel?

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
The foot brake on this new model activates the switch that activates the motor brake. This way the user can have both hands on the workpiece and still be able to stop the blade quickly, if need be. This only applies to the "BF" models.

There were several threads on SMC discussing how nice this feature would be, so we came out with them.

Joe Angrisani
07-22-2011, 1:59 AM
Shiraz.... Do you know if it will be possible to retrofit the foot switch parts to my arrived-last-week G0513X2B? :)

Dave Lehnert
07-22-2011, 2:05 AM
Nothing like getting the info right from the source.

Thanks

Brian Kent
07-22-2011, 9:41 AM
Thank you so much for responding to the ideas and needs of woodworkers!

Brian Hillyer
07-22-2011, 4:11 PM
Ordered my g513x2bf Wed night. It was $55 cheaper than the 513x2b and got to apply the discount. Sometimes good things do come to those who wait (procrastinate).

eugene thomas
07-22-2011, 4:26 PM
i like my 513x2b but now sure wish it had the foot break. but retrofit? some how not think grizzly will sell a kit to modify my saw???

Shiraz Balolia
07-22-2011, 5:07 PM
Retrofit kit is not available right now. Will have to review the whole installation to see if it can be done by a person of average skills.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-22-2011, 5:15 PM
Shiraz.....thanks for listening to the desires of woodworkers here at SMC.

Guys.....and Gals....... a footbrake was one of my major wants on my list when I bought my bandsaw. I can watch my hand and stop the blade without taking my eyes off my hands.....using the footbrake on my bandsaw.

Joe Angrisani
07-22-2011, 5:20 PM
Retrofit kit is not available right now. Will have to review the whole installation to see if it can be done by a person of average skills.

I sure would appreciate that, as I think some others would. Thank you so much for being a visible presence. It does make Grizzly different.

John Coloccia
07-23-2011, 11:13 PM
This is a great development, and thanks to Shiraz for listening and making it available.

re: retrofit

If you really want it, any competent electrician should be able to retrofit a foot switch into your current bandsaw. I hesitate to give instructions because it does require digging into the guts and I'm frankly afraid of liability issues, but it's very simple. I can well understand the hesitation to provide a DIY kit to do this.

Dave Lehnert
07-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Another woodworking company, Shopsmith, makes almost all their upgrades in kit form for home shop DYI. One reason I like Shopsmith.

Darrell Bade
07-24-2011, 4:35 PM
Guess I bought 2 months to soon after waiting for a year or so. That is a really nice feature. The best of both worlds, a foot brake pedal and a motor brake.

I ended up stepping up to a G0514X2 mainly for the foot break pedal after reading others valid reasons for liking it here. Oh well, I gained some other features also like the handle for tipping the table and the bigger table, bigger motor.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2011, 5:50 PM
Darrell.....according to the way I read Shiraz's response.......the foot pedal on the BF model just removes power and activates the motor brake.....there is only the motor brake.

Darrell Bade
07-24-2011, 6:09 PM
Ken

That is the way I read it also. But that would be better than a standard foot brake in my opinion. It would stop the saw just by hitting the foot brake without needing to press the foot brake until it stops.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-24-2011, 8:12 PM
Darrell....I use a Mini-Max 16. It has a foot brake. I can't speak for the footbrake on your Grizzly but I can stop my blade with my footbrake in less than 3 seconds as advertised by Grizzly for their motor brake. I don't see the motor brake, foot pedal operated as a significant advantage.

John Coloccia
07-24-2011, 8:31 PM
Darrell....I use a Mini-Max 16. It has a foot brake. I can't speak for the footbrake on your Grizzly but I can stop my blade with my footbrake in less than 3 seconds as advertised by Grizzly for their motor brake. I don't see the motor brake, foot pedal operated as a significant advantage.

Your MM16 footbrake is best of breed. The Grizzly brake (and most others require significant force to get a quick stop if that's what you're after.

Thad McCulloch
07-25-2011, 10:42 PM
And, if you REALLY want the ultimate bandsaw, check out the new 513X2F on this page:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw-with-Cast-Iron-Trunnion-Foot-Brake/G0513X2F

Your Price:**$99,999.00

A 17" BS for all those new lottery winners!!!

Joe Angrisani
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
:)

Careful Shiraz. Ken's gonna see your political comment and delete it! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2011, 2:20 PM
Joe.....You are right and there's good reason for taking this kind of stance. In the past when we let a "little" comment slide, the same person or others tried to slide a bigger comment by us and then threw it into our face that the other post was left posted.

To prevent that, I edit any "political" comment or post I see. To think that I or any Moderator sees all the posts would be a mistaken view. We don't see them all but those we do see, we try to fairly, impartially enforce the TOSs.

Matt Meiser
12-12-2011, 9:55 PM
Bumping an old thread to add my vote for a retrofit kit. I'd love to add a brake to my g0513x2!

Van Huskey
12-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Bumping an old thread to add my vote for a retrofit kit. I'd love to add a brake to my g0513x2!

I think a lot of people would like that as well and though I could be wrong I wouldn't hold my breath.

Coming from a guy who has never seen a bandsaw he wouldn't modify I would point out a one could add a motor brake with foot control in a multitude of different ways. One simple way, but not particularly cheap, would be a 3 phase motor along with a VFD and one of a great number of foot controls available for machines.

Scott T Smith
12-13-2011, 10:58 AM
The foot brake on this new model activates the switch that activates the motor brake. This way the user can have both hands on the workpiece and still be able to stop the blade quickly, if need be. This only applies to the "BF" models.

There were several threads on SMC discussing how nice this feature would be, so we came out with them.

That is a great improvement! I really like my XB2, and this is a great enhancement to a great product. Thanks!

Scott

Tom Kelley
12-25-2011, 8:57 AM
Shiraz.....thanks for listening to the desires of woodworkers here at SMC.

Guys.....and Gals....... a footbrake was one of my major wants on my list when I bought my bandsaw. I can watch my hand and stop the blade without taking my eyes off my hands.....using the footbrake on my bandsaw.

Thank you Ken, I have a G0690 saw on order and also have my eye on the 513. What I was wondering about was whether the footbrake was really that important. But the scenario you described shows me that it is. My problem is that right now I only have a little 9" Delta table top bandsaw. So I lack the experience with a large bandsaw. I will go with the footbrake. Have a Happy New Year!