PDA

View Full Version : Antique Oil

Steve R Baker
07-21-2011, 4:13 PM
I have been trying to find Minwax Antique Oil local and can't find it. Where do you get your MAO? THANKS

Ken Fitzgerald
07-21-2011, 4:21 PM
My local Ace Hardware store used to order it for me. Now they stock the stuff.

Alan Zenreich
07-21-2011, 4:25 PM
One of my local hardware stores stocks it. I rather like using it.

David Gilbert
07-21-2011, 5:03 PM
If you live in Canada (Quebec specifically) you can buy Minwax Antique Oil at either Canadian Tire or Home Depot. It's harder to find in the US but ACE hardware is a good starting point.

Good luck finding it. The stuff gives a very nice finish and the search for it is well worth the bother.

Cheers,
David

Chris Burgess
07-21-2011, 5:06 PM
You can go through the 'Shop' link above to Amazon and they have it for $9.99 plust $4 S&H. Not sure if $14 is to much as I have also looked and not found.

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2011, 5:08 PM
Steve - you don't list your location and we have no idea which retail outlets are in your area. I have gotten MAO at Ace Hardware but also found it at Menards.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-21-2011, 5:20 PM
My local Ace also carries it. The local HD and Lowe's does not. Did you try Woodcraft? Almost all of the chains are locally managed, if they don't have it, request they bring it in, and as mentioned, they may start stocking it. I like using it.
Have you tried Wipe On Poly? I'm migrating to using that more and more. Not because it looks better, but the working time is very fast, and finishing takes half the time. Time is money too. Time is even more expensive if you have a "real" job, to support your turning habits and you have no time to turn, and even less time to sand and finish. I just spent 200 bucks on tree spikes and climbing belt so I can get even more wood that I have no time to turn.

Jim Burr
07-21-2011, 6:57 PM
Ace and OSH...I'm starting to like the smaller non-BORG's. They have more better stuff:p;)

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Ace Hardware ordered it for me but now they stock it since I buy most of it.

Dave Ogren
07-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Ace Hardware and also Sherwin-Williams both stock it here. Good Luck, I think that it is a great product.

Tony De Masi
07-22-2011, 6:56 AM
I get mine from the local Rockler store. They previously did not stock it but like Bernie's situation, they now stock it and I buy most of it.

Steve R Baker
07-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Well I found MAO at a Ace about 40 min. from me. Got some this am. Will try it this afternoon or tomorrow.
Kyle, I have been retarted for 9 years. So I have a lot of time for turning, when it is not to HOT. As for the spikes & belt you can have them, I spent 30 years using them, gave mine away. Have a bad right knee from using them. Thanks all for the help.