PDA

View Full Version : Magic Touch

Terry Swift
07-21-2011, 1:11 PM
I'm trying to see if I want to enter the Magic Touch market; as it seems to give a huge variety of products to print on - at least that's the hype. My main issue / question deals with the Oki printers they require. I'm not one for wanting to spend an additional $600-$800 on a laser printer - when I have 2 already. Is there a good to very good color laser printer other than the Oki's to use or a cheaper market to find the Oki's in. Even eBay doesn't have a wide variety of them and Magic Touch seems to have formed a partnership with Oki; as they are there biggest recommended source.

Looking for any alternatives.

Martin Boekers
07-21-2011, 1:47 PM
Oki typically has a cheap line of printers I think they start around $350. This is for printing up to 8.5x14
a tabloid size is quite bit more. I use a Xerox Phaser and it works fine.

I do have to say though since I got the Ricoh 7000 I have been using less and less of Magic Touch.

It does have it's place, but not as durable as Dye Sub. The used to has a list of acceptable printers
on thier web page. That might not exist anymore if Oki is a partner.

Bill Overturf
07-21-2011, 1:49 PM
We bought the system. I HATE IT! I cant get 2 pieces to come out the same to save my life (with acrylics which is why we bought it). I have done some unfinished wood with good results. Plastics (name tags) ended up in the trash. I gave up on it about once a month the boss makes me play on it but all it does is raise my stress level. Stick with lasering and sublimation!

Martin Boekers
07-21-2011, 5:19 PM
Sorry you are having a tough time with it. I have done wood, finished and unfinished. The finished did need to have the sheet
cover the whole piec though or you would get a ridge from the paper and the finish. I bought it for tile and have done thousands
with it. Platics are tough as you get to the melting point with them. I have had limited success with acrylics, but I'm not a big fan
of the "photo Acrylic" if that's what you are working with.

You may check with Mike Null here as he has used it for years and may be able to help with issues you are having.

I have switched most of this work to Dye Sub as I said thanks to Ricoh. I do have special uses for it every once in a while though.

Mike Null
07-26-2011, 9:40 AM
I have been using Magic Touch for about 12 years and I like the paper. It's a little pricier than competition but it's nearly flawless. I have an old Panasonic P8415, also about 12 years old that works like a champ. I do name tags, medallions, plates etc.

I much prefer color laser transfer to dye sublimation largely because of the virtually unlimited substrates you can use. As you know dye sub is extremely limited and more expensive all the way around. One thing though, dye sub will give an unmatched color brilliance.

Mike Null
08-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Just a further comment. Color laser transfer problems are not always caused by the paper. The toner and the printer have as much to do with success as the paper. You may find another paper which works better with your printer but it's just as likely a printer/toner issue. It's also possible that your press and temperature may be wrong or off calibration.

I have tried many other brands which some people claim to have used successfully but they didn't perform well with my Panasonic printer. MagicTouch always worked for me.

Not all toners are created equal.

Terry Swift
08-06-2011, 3:19 PM
So, can anyone who has had success doing Magic Touch - please let me know your Brand / Model laser you do own. I saw PDU show it off at the Texas Trophy Show last weekend; but they were using Oki's. If someone has a lead on a good deal for any printer that successfully works with Magic Touch - please PM me.

Thanks All!!!!

Martin Boekers
08-06-2011, 4:55 PM
I use a Xerox Phaser (toner not solid inks) Magic Touch have a deal with Oki. Oki should have a printer under $400 that will work.
I would check Craig's lists locally, as printer pop up there often.

Mike Null
08-07-2011, 8:43 AM
My Panasonic is an xp8415. It's one of the old style that was built to run "forever". It was over $2000 when I bought it. If you find a good refurbished one be aware that replacement parts can be costly. I've replaced my fuser twice. (the only parts replaced) The first time a self inflicted wound while clearing a paper jam ruined it and I paid Panasonic $400 for a replacement. The second time it was just age and wear and I found a new one at one of the internet surplus places for $150. It also takes a parallel cable.

Jams are rare and it is very low maintenance.

Tim Bateson
08-12-2011, 8:59 PM
I just started using MagicTouch with my $99 Konica Minolta magicolor 1600W. It only rates 3 of 5 stars from MagicTouch, but for $99, it works great for me. I had been using another paper: Cactus Paper. It stuck to everything - both cloth and hard objects - 9 of every 10 tries. Most objects I have to soak in water to get it peeled off.

Terry Swift
08-14-2011, 4:53 PM
Mike / Tim,

What's the toner cost and how many pages per cartridge do you get?

Tim Bateson
08-14-2011, 7:43 PM
Laser toner can be a bit expensive. I'm still on the original & when it goes, it'll actually be cheaper to spend another $99 on a new printer than to buy toner.

Mike Null
08-18-2011, 9:46 PM
The model I have came with a lot of toner (big cartridges)but they last forever. Replacement is about $140 each but you're talking years of use.

Mike Null
08-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Besides metal and plastic MT has a fabric paper. Here's a t-shirt I made a while back for a group.

Terry Swift
08-19-2011, 10:00 AM
That looks pretty good Mike. I'm chatting with Jim Spearman at PDU / Magic Touch to see what of less expensive printer I can get than the recommended $800 Oki. I looked thru their list and some score high marks and are about half the price of the Oki; but unsure of toner costs and replacements. My Lexmark C534N will go about 2,000 pages before needing replacement - but each individual cartridge is about $150 - even on eBay.

Mike Null
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Terry

Be sure to test the paper in your printer then with your press to be sure all is well.

I have had some papers which will not work for me and I don't know the reason but the sticking problem and poor transfer have both occurred.

Talk to other paper suppliers as there are several types of printers--more specifically--several types of fusers and that is critical info in determining which paper to use.

Scott Challoner
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Terry
I got an OKI C3400 for about $250. You can usually find them for around $300. I've had it for awhile now and it seems to be working just fine. I just got a new black toner cartridge that's supposed to last for 2500 sheets for $25.

Martin Boekers
08-19-2011, 1:55 PM
Mike,

I haven't had luck with the texile paper, washed out noticably after a few washes.
I washed in cold water, air dried and turned inside out. Any tips on getting the most out of this?

Thanks!

Terry Swift
08-21-2011, 8:21 AM
Thanks All. When I went to the ARA Show back in January - there was a company called JOTO there that seems to be almost the same as Magic Touch. I got some of their paper; but haven't tested it yet - need to find it first. Very small booth at ARA; but when talking to the 2 guys there - they said it would work with just about any laser printer. I think they make an ink jet type too.

I see from looking around that due to the paper thickness - jamming seems to be one of the main problems if using the MFP Feed, versus the manual single feeder.

I suppose it won't hurt to get some paper and test it out on the lasers I currently have.

Mike Null
08-22-2011, 7:19 AM
I have to feed all my paper one sheet a a time with Magic Touch.

Marty

It's been a while since i did any shirts for testing but previously they seemed t last a reasonable time.

I have some Joto paper here for testing but haven't had time yet.

Tim Bateson
09-23-2011, 1:52 PM
I just completed a large Stainless Steel Thermos order. Other than changing the recommended settings, I was very impressed. Magic Touch paper has my business until someone can prove they've invented a better wheel.

I'd like to post pictures, but the logos used may or may not cause trademark issues. :rolleyes:

Martin Boekers
09-23-2011, 3:04 PM
Are you sealing these? Are going through a glazing unit? I heard that a second heating in an oven with help with durability.

I use Magic Touch mainly for display products as they can be scratched.

Tim Bateson
09-28-2011, 2:18 PM
Are you sealing these? Are going through a glazing unit? I heard that a second heating in an oven with help with durability...

These Thermos can holders have a rubber bottom, so after I finished pressing all of them (using mug press attachment), I cranked the heat up to 425, placed them in with the rubber end hanging out & let bake for 5 min each. While baking, I did not close the mug press. Afterwards, there was a huge difference in durability and looks - the color seemed to pop. Can the finished product be scratched - Yes, but my tests have shown they can take a lot of abuse.

Mike Null
09-28-2011, 4:20 PM
I use a heat gun to post bake the finish and it does last longer.