PDA

View Full Version : Finally Made Some Saw Dust!!!

Charlie Woods
02-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Over the last couple of weeks I have finished setting up my Jet JTAS-10 table saw and finally made some saw dust. I took the old guard/splitter off and replaced it with a Bies splitter( this is the way to go). I purchased 4 zero-clearence inserts for the saw and a new "Avenger" Dado set.
The Inspection record that came with the saw has the tolerences of the Arbor Flange run-out at 0.0008" and Blade/Mitre slot Parallelism at 0.0028; is this the norm for most table saws. As of yet I do not have any way to check the accuracy of this, but will solve that problem pretty soon. Most of what I am building is to help me organize the stuff in my shop/garage.
#1 is a rolling shelf unit that slides underneath the extension table. All materials are from my scrap pile, and are a combination of BC ply and walnut plywood scraps. It has the blade changing tools, zero-clearance inserts, for both thin kerf, and dado blades, push sticks, and jigs for the saw. On the end of the extension table( did not take a picture of this) I mounted a rack to store all my saw blades within easy access.

#2 Is a combination rolling clamp rack, and general storage cart that holds some of my smaller tools. This allows me to roll it outside the garage, when I need the extra space. The casters are steel swivel casters that came off of an old flat bed pallet cart I found at a junk yard $1 each.

At this point, having used the saw for these 2 projects, I am very pleased with the results and the machine itself. The accuracy of the fence and overall fit and finish quality of the saw is more than I expected( never owned a cabinet saw, but plenty of contractor saws). I am debating on whether or not to get a bolt on out feed roller table, ( HTC brand)or to make a solid table top stand and put it on wheels. This was the one drawback, especially cutting full sheets of 3/4" ply without an out feed table. Luckily LOML was there to help. I am using Freud blades on both the Table Saw and my POS B&D 10" CMS( another poor purchasing choice) and they seem to work well. With all of the positive comments about WW I-II blades, I will probably be purchasing some before the summer.( I will have to try and detail to LOML how and why this blade is better than the other).
I do have a Delta 500 cfm dust collector attached to the saw to try and keep some of the saw dust away from the 2 shop intruders( washer/dryer). The other pictures are just some random shots of the shop just to give you an idea of the lack of space. They include shots of the workbench, lumber rack, drafting table, and my sons model work table. If all goes well I will be building a game room on the back of the house, where I can put the washer/dryer and finally convert the garage into a real shop. Oh, and as far as using the garage for the cars, both my wife and I grew up onfarm/ranches and were used to parking cars outside. Besides here in Houston, unless you have a hail storm, the vehicles are pretty safe. Thanks for looking and allowing me to share my progress. If you have questions/comments/critiques please let me know.

Charlie Woods
02-17-2005, 1:07 AM
Her are some other Pics of the space. Sorry for the poor quality of the Pics, I can work my old 35mm better than the digital camera. Hopefully they will get better.

Robby Phelps
02-17-2005, 1:26 AM
Hi Charlie,

Congrats on your new saw. I have a Jet JTAS-XL as well and I love it. It has been a great saw. I just love the smell of new tools:D

Bill Arnold
02-17-2005, 7:38 AM
Charlie,

Contratulations on your saw! I have the JTAS-10XL with extension table and router lift -- the package they were selling this time last year that included a Bosch 1617 router. I've been completely satisfied with it in all ways. Mine is on a mobile base so I can roll it away from the wall or even into the driveway when I need clearance for sheet goods, etc. Also looks like you've got your shop space pretty well organized.

Regards,

Jeff Sudmeier
02-17-2005, 8:30 AM
Charlie,

Congrats on making some sawdust! That is always a great feeling. It looks like you have a very well set up shop, hope you enjoy it!

Kelly C. Hanna
02-17-2005, 8:38 AM
Nice saw! I was tempted to buy one when I was shoppping for a CS, but teh Grizzly and it's slider won out. I sure did like the Jet though....enjoy it!!

Jim Dunn
02-17-2005, 8:50 AM
That's a very nice saw you got there. I'm sure your going to love it. Is that a freeze dryed dog in one of those pics?:) Also, you've got me by about twice the space I've got in my basement shop.

Frank Pellow
02-17-2005, 4:12 PM
Seeing the results, good dust it must have been.

Ted Shrader
02-17-2005, 4:50 PM
Charlie -

Congrats on getting the home saw up and running.

How is the PM at school coming?

Ted

John Hulett
02-17-2005, 4:58 PM
Charlie,

I notice you have the saw and extension on a mobile base, and the storage under the extension also appears to be on casters. How is it moving that guy around the shop, particularly with the storage still underneath? Do you move the storage unit out from under the extension before rolling the saw around? Just wondering... I've got my saw/extension on mobile base too, and was already thinking about better utilizing the space underneath.

- John

Charlie Woods
02-17-2005, 6:30 PM
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Jim: No it's not a dog, actually it's an elephant. At our church we have a white elephant that gets passed from family to family every christmas( thus a white elephant gift) and we happened to get it this year. Hopefully it will have a more permanent space to be this comming year.

Ted: The PM case is almost stripped to bare metal, ready for priming( I will post pics soon, but with 2 shows opening together plus classroom teaching, I and my assistant are staying busy!!). All of the enterior parts have been cleaned, and layed out ready for assembly. I purchased some PG2000 lubricant ( per recommendations from others on this site) for all of the moving parts so as soon as the case gets primed and painted final assembly will begin.
I did find an automotive paint shop that would mix the paint, but and put it in spray applicators, but they wanted to much for it. I will find a green as close as possible premixed and repaint it with that. I want to replace the belts with the ling belt stuff, but am not sure if this is needed. I had it on my old Crafts saw and it did wonders. Do you think it is worth putting three link belts on?
The last thing I am waiting on our theatre boosters organization to tell me if there are funds available for the 50" commercial fence, extension, and mobil base. If not I will need to start saving to to get it myself. I already have a 4'w x 8' long out feed table that I use with the current saw. As soon as I get these 2 shows closed and the school shop reorganized I will post pics and give the grand tour to everyone. ( this is really the amount of space I would like to have for my future shop).

John: Yes when I have to move the saw the storage unit rolls away first, then gets put back into place when the saw is reset. That was one of the first places I noticed that seemed like wasted space. It is very handy to have most of the TS accessories within 1-2 step reach. When I am done most of the shop will be mobile. I guess this is just a carry over from my theatre work because we need tools in the shop as well as on stage so it needs to be able to transport easily. If your intrested in seeing the stage space, I posted some pictures of my students working in the space a couple of weeks ago. Like I mentioned to Ted, I will post pics of the scene shop when I close these last 2 shows.

Again thanks for the comments guys. I am glad SMC is here!!!

Ted Shrader
02-17-2005, 7:16 PM
snip . .

I want to replace the belts with the link belt stuff, but am not sure if this is needed. I had it on my old Crafts saw and it did wonders. Do you think it is worth putting three link belts on?

Charlie -

I don't think the link belts would gain you anything. Just put on a matched set of V belts and stand the nickel on edge. :)

Ted

Charlie Woods
02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Ted:
V-belts it is. Thanks for the input.