PDA

View Full Version : Bell question

Larry Edgerton
07-21-2011, 6:55 AM
I finally found the schoolbell I wanted for my schoolhouse reproduction yesterday. Great! exactly what I wanted, love Craigslist.

My question is...... I want to sandblast it and paint it to look like aged brass. Its cast iron, not in bad shape, but a bit of rust starting. Will sandblasting affect the tone, or do I worry too much?

And, what is a good process to get the aged brass look with paint?

Larry

Dave Anderson NH
07-21-2011, 9:42 AM
I'm not a metallurgist Larry but cleaning it off and then having it brass plated might be a better way to go. Probably more expensive though.

Dave Ogren
07-21-2011, 10:00 AM
About 60 years ago my Dad had a school bell and a neighbor had it galvanized for him. That killed the tone. If you have a cracked one they cannot be brazed without killing the tone also. The ones that you see the inside usually is not painted.
Good luck,
Dave

Greg Peterson
07-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I would refrain from sand blasting as this will make the surface pitted. Having tried this on a old hand plane I can assure you the paint layer needs to be pretty thick to cover the pits left by the blasting.

Joe Angrisani
07-21-2011, 10:10 AM
I would refrain from sand blasting as this will make the surface pitted.....

Perhaps you could have it media blasted with walnut shells. I know it's gentle enough to keep auto body panels from distorting. IF blasting turns out to be one of the steps.

Jamie Buxton
07-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Paint stripper would be easier on the metal, and you can do it yourself.

Rich Lester
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Check out http://www.sculptnouveau.com they might just have what you are looking for.
Also, do a search of sculptnouveau here on Sawmillcreek and you will find several discussions on its use.

Myk Rian
07-21-2011, 1:44 PM
Spooge it. Electrolysis is another word for it.
It is talked about in-depth on OWWM.org
1 tablespoon Arm & Hammer washing soda per gallon of water.

Larry Edgerton
07-21-2011, 4:13 PM
Thanks gentlemen....

I have some reading to do. That sculptnouveau japanese brown would work for me. Thanks Rich.

I have a sandblast cabinet, so that is why that was my first thought. I also ruined a 49 chevy cab with a sandblaster, so now I ask. I will look into that spooge thingy Myk mentioned. Someone painted this thing gold at one point, and I want to get rid of that first.

Thanks again, Larry