PDA

View Full Version : ambrosia maple HF

Steve bellinger
07-21-2011, 4:54 AM
I know i havn't been on much lately but will try to be better.;) this piece might go in a contest, not sure yet as i still have lots of time.
After looking all a round the different forums and not seeing a finial like this, decided to go ahead and give it a whirl. It's made of holly and dyed black using india ink. The finish on the main piece is Danish oil followed by 2 coats shellac, then multi coats SOP. All comments Bad or good are needed as i still have time to change or even scrap and start over.
Steve

Tim Thiebaut
07-21-2011, 6:28 AM
I love it, that is a very unique finial, I think the shape works well, really like the mini lidded part of the finial...good flow from the main body up to the finial, I wouldnt change a thing.

Eric Holmquist
07-21-2011, 6:38 AM
I really like that multi part finial, and the main body is nice too

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 6:56 AM
Steve, very nice form, and great continuation of the curve up the finial. I think the inset is interesting, but I almost prefer the finial without the inset. IMO, and I do mean that, a finial that terminates with a focal point seems to distract one from the form itself. I realize that I, and others, often use replications and insets in finials, but most I have seen place those lower (at the 1/3 point usually) leaving the finial to terminate into less clutter. Even then, sometimes the finial gets too busy.

I certainly do not mean to take away from what you have done here. I think the piece is beautiful, and I do like the out of the ordinary approach. The workmanship and finish are top level, and the piece has an overall appeal to it. What are the dimensions?

Fred Belknap
07-21-2011, 7:34 AM
Steve that is a beauty, The form is so nice the little thing on top may be a distraction. It would get lost in my shop anyway..:D

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 7:46 AM
That is a beautiful form Steve, and beautifully done I might add. I like the uniqueness of the finial.........I guess because it is something different than is seen every day. Beautiful curves on this and very nicely finished............looks like you are upping your game!

Chris Burgess
07-21-2011, 9:07 AM
This is great. Love the wood, form, finish, & finial. It all works for me. Nice job.

Bernie Weishapl
07-21-2011, 9:38 AM
Great looking HF. Nice form and finish. I do like the finial.

charlie knighton
07-21-2011, 9:46 AM
very nice, the main form is super and i like the contrast in the heartwood and sapwood. the final is fine, although just me i would not make it black, maybe use english boxwood to go with/understate the other woods in the piece, just me, i am partical to that type of final

wes murphy
07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Great form and a unique finial. I only wish I had the talent to do something like that.

Bill Bolen
07-21-2011, 11:59 AM
The entire piece just has a great flow up and through the finial. I wouldn't change a thing. The finial is a bit different but after all isn't that what we all really want? Just something a "bit different" just to call our own design thoughts. I wouldn't change a thing and suggest you get it entered before you get talked out of it. A beauty IMHO!

Dennis Ford
07-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I think it is great as is and you should enter it. The only suggestion I can offer would be to glue to tiny finial top in place to prevent it from getting lost.

David E Keller
07-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Very cool and creative! I absolutely love the main form, and I like the finial as well, but like JK, I may prefer it without the little lid. I'm guessing that this a your 'beauty' entry for the woodturnersamerica contest... I've struggled with trying to create things that I like but are 'different' enough to stand out. I think you've done a great job with this piece, and I wouldn't have any qualms about entering it. Good stuff, man! Best of luck in the contest!

Jon Nuckles
07-21-2011, 2:33 PM
Outstanding in all ways! Congratulations on going out on a limb creatively and making something beautiful at the same time. Enter it as is, and good luck in the contest.

Steve bellinger
07-21-2011, 6:09 PM
Well thanks all for the comments. I do appreciate it more than you know.:) John the piece is 8 1/2 x8 to the top of the finial. Hollowed out to 1/4 or just under and about 1/2 at the bottom just to give it some helt. And yes the reason the finial is like this is to give it that me look i've been looking for.:D

Curt Fuller
07-21-2011, 6:31 PM
Very cool idea Steve! Although I can see what some of the others have said about the small insert in the finial being a bit distracting, I also think you did well at your goal of creating a distinctive look. That's a very attractive turning.

Scott Hackler
07-21-2011, 6:36 PM
Nice work Steve. I like the different type of finial and the wood on the HF is great as well. If I had to change anything at all it would be the top piece of the finial. Not by eliminating it but by removing the "standard shape" tiny part and replace it with a tiny version of the lower finial. The two different styles seem to be competing with each other a bit. But overall its a real nice piece and a good entry for the "contest".

Michael James
07-21-2011, 6:43 PM
That's a nice piece, Best of luck!
mj

Jeff Nicol
07-21-2011, 7:23 PM
Steve, I like everything about it, but kind of agree with John and David. The little mini box on the top of the finial is a very cool addition, but as John said it looks very nice without it, that being said if you had made the main finial with 2 high points and then the little box finial in the center of those and just a bit taller on the removable little top, that would bring it all together and give it balance. With it out of the top it gives it a wave live look to one side and the little top gives it a lopsided look.

So with all of what has been said it is a beautiful piece of wood that you got everything out of, all finials are subject to personal preference and customer excitement of the piece!

Glad you have gotten back on the lathe,

Jeff

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 9:29 PM
And yes the reason the finial is like this is to give it that me look i've been looking for.:DAnd, that is a valid enough reason!! Well done!

Michelle Rich
07-22-2011, 6:00 AM
I like your "new" approach at finials. Rather interesting. Your form has great color contrast. Very good piece.

Marc Himes
07-22-2011, 6:07 AM
Nice form and excellent craftsmanship. Definitely a beauty! Good luck in the contest.

Baxter Smith
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Very nice form and wood with a standout finial!

BILL DONAHUE
07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I really like everything about this piece but the finial is especially neat and very unique. That's something to be proud of.

Steve bellinger
07-23-2011, 9:42 AM
ounce again i do thank each and everyone of ya for your comments. I just blew the bottom out of a nice maple burl piece, so i had to get away and see what you folks were up to.:o:(:mad: I knew better than to take that last cut.:eek: