PDA

View Full Version : Jet Mini - is it enough to turn a bat... one day?

RichMagnone
02-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Notwithstanding the fact that Norm just showed us all how to turn a bat, I have had delusions since the birth of my son of being able to turn a bat that he could use one day... a little ways from now.

That said, my current wood wanderings have taken to me starting wood turning. The Jet Mini sure seems like a nice way to break in - plenty of room for pens, chisel handles and other fun stuff.

The question is this: one day, when I am ready to make that bat, will I just need to shell out $50 to get the extension table or will the mini be too wimpy (1/2 HP) to turn a bat? Should I just get the next model up? aka JWL-1236 (3/4 hp)?

Gary Max
02-17-2005, 3:11 AM
That 1/2 hp ain't wimpy----it will take a little longer but you can turn it.
You might not be as fast but it will do the job.
I have seem several real nice bowls turned on that lathe.
Hope this helps.

Robert Cox
02-17-2005, 7:39 AM
I'm still ojn a learning curve with my mini so take this with a grain of salt.

Heck yeah it will do it. i just rooughed out some beech that I had to trim carefully to clear the ways and I had to saw the end off to keep the tailstock from hanging over.

A bat blank ought to be a oiece of cake.

Mark Patoka
02-17-2005, 7:42 AM
I have the Jet mini with the extension and you'll have no problems turning a bat. I turned a cherry spindle for an end table that started out 3"x3"x30" without a problem.

Chris Lee
02-17-2005, 8:19 AM
You'll have no problems turning a bat. I have not truned anything that long on my mini, but I have definitely turned heavier with no problems.

Good Luck,
Chris