PDA

View Full Version : Certified (FDA/USP Class VI or similar) food/medical safe finishes?

Scott Conners
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
I am looking for a food/people/everything safe finish that is certified and provably safe. It doesn't need to be FDA class VI exactly, just something that I can prove is human consumption or food contact or medical safe. I know there are substances out there, one of the best being Parylene (A vapor deposited barrier coating), which is amazing in it's properties but expensive to have done (it requires an expensive machine).

I am looking for a coating I can apply at home, even if it requires specialized equipment, I just can't invest 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars on the gear.

I've looked into a few resin/epoxies, and have some promising leads, but nothing I can use yet.

If anyone has ideas on what to use, or even where to look for more information, such as other industries that use these coatings, please post! I'm not even sure how to start looking for this info, most of the stuff out on the web is from chemical companies who are just listing products for commercial clients.

Rich Engelhardt
07-21-2011, 6:44 AM
Hit your local paint stores.
Most of the big names, ICI, SW, P&L, PPG, etc. carry product lines that are FDA approved for direct or incidental food contact & will have the documentation on file to verify it.
Talk to one of the commercial sales people and explain exactly what you need and exactly where it's going.

Trying to track down the materials on the internet is going to be pretty much a waste of time. You'll need to go face to face with a sales rep that can provide you with both the right info and the documentation.

This is more of a specific product need rather than a general "safe to use on" type of material since whatever you end up with is going to have to conform to both performance requirements as well as food contact requirements.
Cold storage meat lockers require a different material than counter tops &/or kitchen walls &/or bar tops,,,,etc.

IIRC - and please forgive me the passage of time since it's been a good 30 years since I worked in that field - the materials back then had no exotic application requirments. Conventional spray, airless spray, brush & roll were all accepted means of application.
As long as the film was applied within dry mil specs, that was all that mattered.

Scott Holmes
07-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Scott,

What are you finishing that has you so concerned?

All the finishes sold in the USA are "food/child safe" once they are completely cured. Lead was the problem; it's no longer used as a metal drier.

Rich Engelhardt
07-21-2011, 5:15 PM
All the finishes sold in the USA are "food/child safe" once they are completely cured

They may be non-toxic, but, unless they have the approval of the FDA you're in a world of trouble if you can't provide the proper documentation.

Coatings approved for direct and/or incidental food contact aren't something you can go grab off the shelf.

Bob Wingard
07-21-2011, 8:10 PM
I worked at one of the largest candy factories in the country, and everything was Stainless Steel ... UHMW ... or white epoxy.

Scott Holmes
07-22-2011, 1:36 AM
Again my question to the OP is: What are you finishing that has you so concerned?

Scott Conners
07-22-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm finishing a number of things, but the ones I can discuss in public are jewelry. I turn various types of jewelry for piercings (ear, nose, mouth etc), which are in contact with skin and mucous membranes continuously. I've so far had good luck with CA and epoxy finishes, but I will not attempt to sell them without a finish that is documented as being safe, for liability (and peace of mind) reasons.

I'm also working on some things that I can't discuss publicly, please PM me (or ask on this thread for me to PM you!), but they have virtually the same requirements.

Scott Conners
07-22-2011, 1:49 PM
I worked at one of the largest candy factories in the country, and everything was Stainless Steel ... UHMW ... or white epoxy.

Exactly, I need to find an epoxy formulation that is certified (and clear, not white). I know they are out there, I just need to find them.

Rich Engelhardt
07-27-2011, 7:23 AM
Google "organic jewelry".

There's a whole lot more to this than is possible to scratch the surface of in a user forum.

California Health and Safety Code Section 25214.1-25214.2 - regulates all jewelry.
I believe I'd start there and see what the steps are to have the items certified.