PDA

View Full Version : Fettling a Type 18 #3 Smoother

Jim Koepke
07-20-2011, 6:16 PM
Another Creeker was having some trouble with a Stanley/Bailey #3.

To make a long story short, my mouth opened before my brain engaged and voilą I had even another project vying for my attention.

Many times we have heard that Stanley didn't sell planes, they sold plane kits. As time went on, the person buying one of these "kits" had more and more assembly steps in order to get to a well tuned tool.

If anything working on this plane has increased my appreciation of my older planes. The big question there is if they were made better or if some other craftsman fettled them when they bought their "plane kit."

The type 18 has a ogee shaped frog with less surface area for the blade to seat. Most of the ogee frogs that have crossed my path also seem to have a very tight lateral adjustment lever.

This plane also had a very bad situation with the lateral adjuster not being able to move enough to produce an even shaving.

A few measurements helped to locate the problem.

This is when my thoughts turn to how things would be easier at times if I were a machinist.

Before removing any metal a few shims were tried to make sure what direction things had to go.

I have shimmed my own planes and used them that way, but eventually, the shims might fall during cleaning or it is just a lot of trouble when a little metal removal does the job.

Once the shims showed which way and how much had to be done, the metal removal started

The real trick with something like this is to know when to stop. My way of doing this is to stop and check often.

The blade was sharpened with the slightest of camber. It was able to make good shavings on poplar, oak and pine. The shaving shown is pine.

My biggest disappointment was that when the plane got to the point of making good shavings the frog rocked a little on the base. Sometimes you have to stop before you want to knowing that going further will not improve what you are doing and may in fact bring it back to not working.

jtk

John A. Callaway
07-20-2011, 6:26 PM
Interesting work...

Definitely beyond my capability when it comes to fettling.

Thanks For offering to take this in and give it the tune up.

I look forward to giving it a push across some wood soon.

:)

Jim Koepke
07-20-2011, 7:17 PM
Forgot to mention that the blade on this plane is not square to the mouth.

That could indicate that the frog geometry is not what it should be.

I do not have the equipment to handle this type of task.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-20-2011, 7:56 PM
cool! definitely more work than I've put into this before. I've always just squeezed a bit of valve grinding compound inbetween the parts, rubbed them against each other for while, and continued to check them - when all surfaces show having been hit, I figure the parts mate well enough and clean off the excess compound and screw things back together. It doesn't always work that great. Taking the time to figure out exactly where the issues may or may not lie is certainly a better approach!

Jim Koepke
07-20-2011, 8:06 PM
Joshua,

I am with you on not doing too much most of the time.

This plane was pretty far out of alignment that couldn't be cured by the easier method you describe.

It is also the reason I do not have many planes that are later than type 9.

Types 10 through 12 are fine. I like low knobs and after this they do not accept a low knob.

All my pre type 9 planes work fine and didn't need that much work.

My feeling is with WW II and later the saying, "close enough for government work," may have put us on a bad path.

jtk

James Scheffler
07-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Forgot to mention that the blade on this plane is not square to the mouth.

That could indicate that the frog geometry is not what it should be.

I do not have the equipment to handle this type of task.

jtk

That's not a bug, it's a feature. I have one made that way. Stanley made sure to grind the frogs of later planes out of square so that the blade would be skewed. Therefore, you don't need to skew the plane on the board as you work. It's a labor saving device. ;)

Now, this may prevent you from setting the mouth tightly, but that was also a thoughtful feature on Stanley's part. It's to encourage you to set the mouth wide open, so you don't have to worry anymore about that adjustment.

Jim S.

John A. Callaway
07-22-2011, 1:07 PM
So, inevitably, I have to decide what to do with this thing... I am anxious to give it a push when it gets back home, but now that I know there is some issues with the plane, I dont think a new blade will cure the ailments.... Which was what I was hoping to do with it .... There is always cambering the blade, setting the mouth all the way open and scrubbing with it...

I am undecided as to what to do with it...

I cant tell you all how generous Jim was in offering to work on this tool... He asked for nothing in return, only offering because I am sure he sensed my frustration over several topics when this plane was mentioned here on the creek... So Jim. Thank you for helping out a total stranger who is literally on the other side of the country from you.

The cave by the creek is a great place.

:)

James Scheffler
07-22-2011, 1:16 PM
I would give it a good solid chance to prove itself once you get it back. It might work just fine as a smoother, and if not, it will most likely be a good scrub plane as you suggested.

Jim S.

John A. Callaway
07-22-2011, 2:29 PM
Certainly.... I have by no means thrown in the towel with it yet.... through P.M. Jim explained every little thing he did... and he put some time and work in to it, and it is functioning now far better than it did before he got it. Believe me, I want this little plane to perform. I am quite attached to it... I had considered having the engraving work done to it, and a new set of handles from that guy who has been making them lately... But putting that kind of money into a tool means the tool better be a superior functioning tool. I am a user, not a collector...

Jim Koepke
07-22-2011, 5:45 PM
Stanley made sure to grind the frogs of later planes out of square so that the blade would be skewed. Therefore, you don't need to skew the plane on the board as you work. It's a labor saving device.

There is actually a visible side to side tilt of the blade when looking at the back of the plane.

My opinion is that the devotion to lowering cost of production led to the loss of consideration of quality.

jtk