PDA

View Full Version : Polymer clay embelished turnings

Eric Holmquist
07-20-2011, 5:42 PM
Took some pieces cut out of a bowl (Fire Bowl version 2) and carved them into hearts. Then applied slices of a polymer clay cane I made. Carved out spots on back to inlay bails and made a pair of earrings and matching pendant. Decided to go with a pink silk ribbon instead of a chain for the pendant. Finished with lacquer. The cane was supposed to look like a rose, but that was a total failure, at least it still looks fairly decent. Hesitated to include this but then thought, turning was involved in making the hearts although only secondary.

Took more slices of the cane and applied them to the rim of a cherry burl "thing" that I now feel is an ice cream bowl. I had this "thing" that I did not really like sitting on a shelf for a year until I finally came up with something to do with it that I liked.

ray hampton
07-20-2011, 6:18 PM
it may not be wood but still is a nice bowl

David E Keller
07-20-2011, 7:12 PM
Pretty neat idea! I've played with polymer clay a little making pens, and it's interesting stuff. How'd you get the clay to adhere to the edge of the bowl?

Eric Holmquist
07-20-2011, 7:21 PM
I scuffed up the edge with 60 grit sandpaper to give the wood some tooth. I continue to experiment with achieving a better bond. Cured Titebond is not bad bond surface (that's how I got a decent bond on the earrings). Am going to try Enduro-var as in interface layer next and then Shellac. Toni R suggested I try liquid Sculpy as an interface layer.

Jim Burr
07-20-2011, 7:38 PM
Those are great Eric!! I was lucky enough to receive a blank from Toni Ransfield...for those here who don't follow awards...she's won a few and makes some of the best pen blanks to be found. You effort is fantastic!!!! Maybe someday...when pens are accepted here, I'll have a lash at it

Eric Holmquist
07-20-2011, 7:47 PM
I'm hoping that Toni will show up at our next IAP chapter meeting but would be just as happy if we could get her to show up at one of our AAW chapter meetings. I have been discussing doing a collaboration with her.

Jim Burr
07-20-2011, 9:20 PM
Hey Eric...she just moved from NZ to New Jersey a few months ago. Any turning place would be lucky to have her show up...Kinda funny that she is really respected in a lot of turning circles...but haven't seen anyone but the pen guys mention her here. Really?:eek::(

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Really, really nice Eric.

Steve Busey
07-21-2011, 8:26 AM
Eric, did you bake the bowl after applying the PC, or bake the PC before gluing to the bowl? Or is it still soft?

Eric Holmquist
07-21-2011, 9:18 AM
I baked after applying the PC, 275F (135C) for 30 mins. This temperature is not high enough to char the wood, but could cause issues with wood that is not yet dry or some finishes.