PDA

View Full Version : Monster hollowing system storage

Dave Mueller
07-20-2011, 2:55 PM
I am now the proud owner of a new monster hollowing system, and have managed to use it twice without hurting my HF (or me). The challenge is how to store it. Does anyone have any ideas other than putting it in a drawer? Successfully getting it in a drawer is like stuffing a monkey in a suitcase. There has to be a way to hang it up without dismantling it. Suggestions????

Jon Nuckles
07-20-2011, 3:07 PM
I put two U-shaped hooks (probably intended to hold a rake between the legs of the "U") on the wall and hung it with the upright/artculating arm junction in one hook and the end of the boring bar resting on the other. It takes quite a bit of wall space because it is fully extended, but I have 15 foot ceilings in my shop so I hung it high and just climb on my workbench to get it down. I've seen at least one earlier thread on this, which you could search for, but I am not sure there was anything better suggested.

Roger Chandler
07-20-2011, 3:25 PM
I hang mine from a small section of 2x4 screwed to a wall stud at 90 degrees...[directly behind my lathe]........it holds my articulating light, and I just hang it from the base and let the boring bar and laser hang down towards the floor. It is handy right at the lathe when I need it.

Fred Belknap
07-20-2011, 4:38 PM
Dave I have a shelf that I used to store turning tools in before I made a better one. It has holes drilled in it. I just sit the Monster on it and spin the plate on the bottom up against the bottom of the shelf. It is secure and easy to get to. I usually use a heavy rubber band around the arms to keep them together.

Richard Jones
07-20-2011, 6:25 PM
Here's my offering......http://photos.imageevent.com/richinva/turning/hollowformsurns/websize/2011-07-20_16-06-06_8371.jpg

Just a double hook from somewhere, trapped it behind a board up against the wall.

Rich

Jamie Donaldson
07-20-2011, 9:04 PM
202503I made a wall Monster mount from 2 heavy duty L brackets screwed to a plywood square screwed to a wall stud right above my Studly. Keeps it out of the way but handy, and I get to see it's shiny body!

Richard Jones
07-20-2011, 9:17 PM
202503I made a wall Monster mount from 2 heavy duty L brackets screwed to a plywood square screwed to a wall stud right above my Studly. Keeps it out of the way but handy, and I get to see it's shiny body!

I like that Jamie, very nice and compact.

Rich

Dave Mueller
07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Guys,
Several great ideas. I really like the idea of hanging it on the wall - just need to pick some wall space. Jamie, the use of a velcro strap to keep it from flopping around is especially cool. Thanks everyone.

Bernie Weishapl
07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Jamie that is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 7:00 AM
I have an old metal two-door metal supply cabinet in which I store my Monster, woodburner, vacuum setup, and a bunch of other stuff. The cabinet is in the "shop annex" which is an area destined for overuse and accumulations from both Ms. Keeton and me!!

Steve Schlumpf
07-21-2011, 7:51 AM
Dave - I have been using a couple of bike hooks to hold the Monster. Simple, accessible and inexpensive. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=127289&d=1252343810

Bill Bulloch
07-21-2011, 9:01 AM
Some of us, like me, have limited wall space. As-a-matter-of-fact there is not a spot left on my walls that does not house a cabinet, shelf or peg board, so I have moved to the windows for additional hanging space.

keith zimmerman
07-21-2011, 2:32 PM
My Monster sleeps in a box, still packed from my move to Phoenix. I bought mine at the Albuquerque symposium and have always kept it in a box (execpt the laser which is in a cardboard sleeve). Once the initial setup was done, I found it to be so simple to set up that I just take it apart whenever I am finished with it. Since my Monster is a custom fit for my Delta 46-460, it always goes together exactly the same way every time. It takes me no more than 5 minutes to set it up.

That being said, I really like Jamie's design and I think I'll put together something like that for mine.

Dave Mueller
07-24-2011, 1:43 PM
John, like Bill, I am running out of wall space, even in a 24' X 42' shop. My wife , like yours, continues to "grow" into my space with her storage. So any more storage cabinets are not likely. I still like Jamie's wall mount and Steve's bike hooks. Just need to find the wall space...maybe on the back side of my lathe stand.

Thanks for everyone's ideas. I knew there was a better way than the drawer I use now.