PDA

View Full Version : Heat index prohibitive of turning

Roger Chandler
07-20-2011, 2:46 PM
The heat index today is about 104 degrees here in my neck of the woods........tomorrow it is supposed to approach 116 degrees here...........I went out to my shop to do a little vacuuming of chips from my last project............sweat just pours.............

I think I will focus on my other work the next couple days...........inside in A/C!!

The news and weather folks are giving warnings to stay out of the heat.......one can get overwhelmed before they realize what is happening ................stay safe everyone!!!

Scott Hackler
07-20-2011, 2:54 PM
This is exactly why I just replaced the 6000 btu window unit (which wasn't helping much) with a 12,000 btu unit! Now the shop (15x30) stays pretty comfortably at 76F!!

If I had a time machine, I would go back in time to meet the inventor of the air conditioner....and kiss him (or her) straight on the mouth! I work out in this oven all day long and do not want to sweat when the free time / fun time begins. :)

Marty Eargle
07-20-2011, 3:06 PM
Yeah, the index is 114F here right now. I was in the shop an hour ago roughing out a piece of hard Mimosa and gave up after about 20 minute. I love hot weather, but the humidity here just makes focusing on turning tough.

Since I'm on vacation, I think I'm going to have myself a nice nap and get back to it when it cools down a bit this evening.

Jon Nuckles
07-20-2011, 3:13 PM
Temps are supposed to reach 100 in Chicago today with heat index of 106 to 114. My shop is on the fourth floor with huge windows facing east, so it heats up early. I sweated it out yesterday, but may take the day off today. The Cubs are playing a day game today, but their poor play this year can make me more miserable than the oppressive heat.

charlie knighton
07-20-2011, 3:14 PM
it's hot here also, i'm walking early but later riding stationary bike, every 2 hours put another coat of poly on before it rains, got one side done today, hope to do the other side tomorrow

Quinn McCarthy
07-20-2011, 3:20 PM
That is the advantage of living up north. Way up north. Shop usually stays about 68 degrees. Bumped up 72 yesterday.

We have HI of about 90. WHich is more than I can handle.

Q

Chris Colman
07-20-2011, 3:46 PM
With the shop temps starting in the mid-80's in the morning, going up over 100 in the afternoon, not much is getting done out there right now.

I took some green roughouts out of their DNA bath last night. I thought the DNA was going to evaporate away before I could get it poured back in the can!

Dane Fuller
07-20-2011, 4:10 PM
We've had close to 50 days of 100+ temps here in the Panhandle of Texas. Our humidity swings are from the teens to 40% with less than 3 inches of rain since last September. Dry heat or moist, it doesn't matter. Hot is hot. Stay hydrated...

Rhys Hanna
07-20-2011, 4:17 PM
I could almost envy you .... almost!! Here in Auckland New Zealand, it is around 41F overnight and 58F during the day. The workshop is definitely cool in the mornings. In the south island they are getting 32F and lower overnight with around 50 during the day .... too cold for me.

Rhys

Tim Rinehart
07-20-2011, 4:23 PM
Well...I can't really complain. I built my 16x28 shop 15 yrs ago on what just seemed like a suitable flat area on edge of wooded part of our home's lot behind the house. Between the tree canopy and brick veneer...it never gets 'miserable', but a small window AC unit makes it nice in short time. The location works well, even here in the south. A 5KW heater is all I need in winter too...which I expect is a bit small for those of you up by Steve Schlumpf. It's all in the tradeoffs. For what it's worth...I look forward to cooler weather myself to help do those outside jobs.

Steve Kubien
07-20-2011, 4:50 PM
I love being a Canadian because I only have to put up with this garbage for about 3-4 weeks per year. Give me winter anytime! In fact, I only see two downsides to winter... Driving in freezing rain and trying to clean up chainsaw shavings from the driveway when there is snow. Today I waited for my chainsawing spot to be in the shade before tackling some yellow birch. It was still nasty but I have enough to bowl stock to keep me in the shop for a few days now.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-20-2011, 5:00 PM
Yesterday it was 119 heat index & today it's suppose to be about the same. No A/C in my shop = no turning going on here either.

Tony De Masi
07-21-2011, 7:22 AM
Roger, in probably less than an hour you could be in a nice air conditioned shop with a nice cool drink too. I've told you before but I'll remind you that my shop is always open to you.

John Keeton
07-21-2011, 7:30 AM
I could almost envy you .... almost!! Here in Auckland New Zealand, it is around 41F overnight and 58F during the day. The workshop is definitely cool in the mornings. In the south island they are getting 32F and lower overnight with around 50 during the day .... too cold for me.

RhysNow, I could do that year round!!! But.....I am afraid I would not be able to convince Ms. Keeton who loves the snow if only it were 75*!!

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 7:50 AM
Roger, in probably less than an hour you could be in a nice air conditioned shop with a nice cool drink too. I've told you before but I'll remind you that my shop is always open to you.

Hey Tony,

Nice to hear from you! Man, if at present I did not have so many plates spinning, I would take you up on that TODAY! I would love it.........alas, I have so much work to get done, and my 82 year old MIL is coming back today from a few days stay with her other daughter. She now lives with us because of a very serious fall she took, and now she cannot live alone.

I hope to take you up on a "creeker visit" one of these days! Much appreciated!

Dick Wilson
07-21-2011, 9:53 AM
I turn whenever I want, now, winter, makes no difference.:D:D My basement shop with central air makes it nice. I came up stairs from shop into a 76* house and I am sweating. Of course there is a trade off........ I have the dustiest house on the planet:(:(:(:(

Mike Cruz
07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
John, the problem with turning down under is that the lathes spin in the opposite direction. :)

Tim Thiebaut
07-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Rhys

Those are my perfect temps...I would love to visit there someday!

Scott Hackler
07-21-2011, 2:37 PM
OK, so I just have to ask a stupid question. For all the money we spend on lathes and turning stuff... why don't some of you with oven like temps, by an air conditioner for your shop and start enjoying your woodturning again??? I don't make a bunch of money, but even I could justify the $235 at Sam's Club for a new 12,000 btu window unit. And now my shop is VERY comfortable. The tag on the unit said that it would only use $85 worth of energy a YEAR!!

Just curious....

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 3:22 PM
OK, so I just have to ask a stupid question. For all the money we spend on lathes and turning stuff... why don't some of you with oven like temps, by an air conditioner for your shop and start enjoying your woodturning again??? I don't make a bunch of money, but even I could justify the $235 at Sam's Club for a new 12,000 btu window unit. And now my shop is VERY comfortable. The tag on the unit said that it would only use $85 worth of energy a YEAR!!

Just curious....

Scott,

My shop is a utility shed....14x20 and it is uninsulated.......not really configured so I could easily insulate it, and the two small windows it has are just very small roll out type and I would have to do a lot of reconfiguration, and also on each gable end of the building there are vents made into the upper areas above the collar ties that connect the rafters......any heat or cooling inside the building would just escape anyway.

Not ideal in cold or hot, but at present it is what I have to work with..........I am certainly looking forward to building a shop when I can purchase a new home at some time in the future.

Jeff Fagen
07-21-2011, 3:50 PM
Oh that index stuff is over rated and really just junk science.
I'ts summer and yer gonna sweat.
But thats easy for me to say I have a basement shop and it's cool.:)

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-21-2011, 4:14 PM
My wife is away until later this evening and my daughter invited me for dinner and some play time with my 7 month old grandson. I told her I will come early for the playtime (I can't miss an opportunity to see the little guy) but I expect to spend the bulk of the evening in my shop with the AC turned down to "FROZEN". After a day out with my tent crews, who are all 35 years younger, all I want is to be cold and in my shop.
faust

Jeff Nicol
07-21-2011, 7:51 PM
We got a little break today from the blast furnace, it got down to 70 for a low this morning which is about 9-11 degrees cooler that it has been the last week! Yesterday it was 95 with high humidity and today it got to 83 with low humidity, almost like a fall day! But tomorrow back in the 90's but not as humid, and then start a cool down for next week, I need it so I can get out in the woods to harvest some big box elders that a farmer friend wants gone from the fence line.

I might sell it all if I had a chance to move to New Zealand, every time I see shows or pictures of it I just love how it looks and since I am a big hunter, there are a few things that I would like to chase after!

Winter is not to far away, maybe.......

Jeff

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 8:21 PM
We got a little break today from the blast furnace, it got down to 70 for a low this morning which is about 9-11 degrees cooler that it has been the last week! Yesterday it was 95 with high humidity and today it got to 83 with low humidity, almost like a fall day! But tomorrow back in the 90's but not as humid, and then start a cool down for next week, I need it so I can get out in the woods to harvest some big box elders that a farmer friend wants gone from the fence line.

I might sell it all if I had a chance to move to New Zealand, every time I see shows or pictures of it I just love how it looks and since I am a big hunter, there are a few things that I would like to chase after!

Winter is not to far away, maybe.......

Jeff

Yeah Jeff, I kinda understand.........I would like to have a nice set of stag antlers on my wall!

Ralph Lindberg
07-21-2011, 8:36 PM
Now, I could do that year round!!! But.....I am afraid I would not be able to convince Ms. Keeton who loves the snow if only it were 75*!!

Move to the Pacific North-Wet. We have had 78 minutes about 80 at Sea-Tac Airport all year and 18 hours above 75. Where I live (close to the water) we have yet to hit 75, period

Tim Thiebaut
07-21-2011, 8:38 PM

Just curious....

I am hot in anything over 65...always have been....and I love winter, I sleep better when its cold, and feel better when its cold. My shop is in my basement but with the heat and humidity we have had lately it has not been comfortable even down there...it will snow in a couple months thank god.

Scott Hackler
07-21-2011, 8:57 PM
Scott,

My shop is a utility shed....14x20 and it is uninsulated.......not really configured so I could easily insulate it, and the two small windows it has are just very small roll out type and I would have to do a lot of reconfiguration, and also on each gable end of the building there are vents made into the upper areas above the collar ties that connect the rafters......any heat or cooling inside the building would just escape anyway.

Not ideal in cold or hot, but at present it is what I have to work with..........I am certainly looking forward to building a shop when I can purchase a new home at some time in the future.

Roger,

If you can see the rafters and all the way up to the underside of the roof, there may be a small thing you can do to help. A relative took cardboard (of all things) and stapled it on the rafter bottoms to make a make shift ceiling of sorts. It lowered the temp in the garage (with NO insulation) by a good 20 degrees and he bought a portable AC unit (on wheels) for only when he is out there. He said its not ice cold but a giant difference to the outside and makes his shop usable again (al biet still 85 of so when its 100 out). Just an idea.

I know that when I decked the ceiling in my shop (7/16" OSB) it made a world of difference in the temp, even before I added the insulation.

Jon Nuckles
07-21-2011, 9:02 PM
My shop, which I share with another woodworker, is 50' x 20' with 15' ceilings, and it is in an old industrial building that leaks air like a sieve. Even if I could get an air conditioner big enough to cool it, the power drain would probably prevent me from using my lathe! I wear warm clothes in the winter and sweat in the summer, but it is great fun. The last week has been exceptionally hot, but I've still made it in 3 out of the last 6 days.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Scott,

I use that space above the collar ties for storage and for a run for the dust collection from one end of the shop to the other {pvc pipe} and I have my dust collector by the lathe in a corner, but the ducting goes to both a radial arm saw and my router table which has vacuum both at the bottom of the router housing box and the fence above the table.

While your suggestion is a good one, with the low ceilings I have and the above arrangement, it is not a do-able thing for me.

Kevin W Johnson
07-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Scott,

Roger,

My shop is a 12' x 20' shed with a 6' x 20' addition for storage that i insulated. I insulated the walls and used OSB for "drywall", and the ceiling was done the same way. I even have a double door "hatch" in the ceiling as i too store stuff up top. Its seems pretty effective. I heat with a electric radiator in the winter to keep the shop about 50 or so, and supplement with propane to bring the temp quickly to about 70. I wall mounted the AC in to its own cutout, and it keeps it plenty comfortable in the summer.

My DC is in a small addition on the back of the building, with the ducting coming in and going to ceiling level, one drop to the lathe, and a second drop that is multi-use for everything else. I'll try to get some pictures and bring'em to the next turning meeting. I have a feeling our sheds are very much alike in the way they're built.

The big questions and descisions are how much stuff has to be moved to insulate, and how long you think you'll still be living there, as to whether its worth the time, expense, and trouble.

Roger Chandler
07-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Roger,

My shop is a 12' x 20' shed that i insulated. I insulated the walls and used OSB for "drywall", and the ceiling was done the same way. Its seems pretty effective. I heat with a electric radiator in the winter to keep the shop about 50 or so, and supplement with propane to bring the temp quickly to about 70. I wall mounted the AC in to its own cutout, and it keeps it plenty comfortable in the summer.

The big questions and descisions are how much stuff has to be moved to insulate, and how long you think you'll still be living there, as to whether its worth the time, expense, and trouble.

Kevin,

I have asked myself those very questions a number of times............for my situation, and the way the space is utilized, it is not worth it. In the winter I do use a kerosene heater 22,000 btu, and it will get the temperature bearable, but I have to wear heavy socks and such and sometimes knock off working after a couple of hours.

Billy Tallant
07-22-2011, 3:01 AM

Just curious....

Good point, Scott. I'm in the same shape as Roger though. I've got a 14x24 utility building. It is uninsulated & would definately cost me too much to fix it up. So just smile & make do. I plan on retiring in about 12 years. Hopefully a new shop will be constructed before I retire. At least that is my plan. It will also include some type of cooling & heating...:)

Hilel Salomon
07-22-2011, 7:10 AM
Hey Roger,
It was hot enough at our meeting. Now, in answer to the question about cooling. Not everyone has a shop that can accommodate an air conditioner. My shop in VA has power vents and two window units and it is tolerable. Heating is another story. A wood stove sends heat right up to the roof, but I'm looking into Hot Dawg unit (too expensive at the moment). In Columbia, my shop is in the basement and I can't use an air conditioner. Fortunately, the basement is considerably cooler than the rest of the house, but...

Hilel

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 7:16 AM
Hey Roger,
It was hot enough at our meeting. Now, in answer to the question about cooling. Not everyone has a shop that can accommodate an air conditioner. My shop in VA has power vents and two window units and it is tolerable. Heating is another story. A wood stove sends heat right up to the roof, but I'm looking into Hot Dawg unit (too expensive at the moment). In Columbia, my shop is in the basement and I can't use an air conditioner. Fortunately, the basement is considerably cooler than the rest of the house, but...

Hilel
Hilel,

You are certainly correct about the temps at the CVW meeting...........thank goodness they had all those fans blowing! Even then the sweat was pouring, especially after putting the tables and chairs away! It was nice to see you again! One of these months some of us are going to have to get together and make some curlees fly! ;)

Jim Underwood
07-22-2011, 10:23 AM
Hey Roger,
I was talking to a buddy of mine yesterday about how hot my uninsulated 16' x 20' shop was, and how my (newly aquired) used 10,000 BTU window unit probably wouldn't make a dent in the heat. He suggested the spray on foam insulation as an alternative to normal fiberglass insulation.

Might be a solution to your problem of insulating your shop...

Gerold Griffin
07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Ok Folks, about this heat issue. If I lived 35 miles farther South I would be swimming in the Gulf. It is flat hot and here we do not get the cool gulf breeze! Unfortunately, I do not have a A/C in the shop and even if I did I still have things to take care of outside in the sun and heat. May I encourage all of you to at least do a google search for evaportive cooling vests. Grainger has them for about $45 and they are great. Yes, you will get damp but personnally I would rather be cool and wet than hot and sweaty! Not only are these great in the shop but also cutting grass or any other activity that puts you in the heat. In my humble opion these things just cannot be beat.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Ok Folks, about this heat issue. If I lived 35 miles farther South I would be swimming in the Gulf. It is flat hot and here we do not get the cool gulf breeze! Unfortunately, I do not have a A/C in the shop and even if I did I still have things to take care of outside in the sun and heat. May I encourage all of you to at least do a google search for evaportive cooling vests. Grainger has them for about $45 and they are great. Yes, you will get damp but personnally I would rather be cool and wet than hot and sweaty! Not only are these great in the shop but also cutting grass or any other activity that puts you in the heat. In my humble opion these things just cannot be beat.

I have never seen evaportive cooling vents...........but if they produce moisture, would they not rust things like tablesaw top, ways on the lathe, and other tools?

Alan Zenreich
07-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I ride a motorcycle, and have various ways of keeping cool in the heat.

One of my favorites is a neck wrap that can be used in the shop, or anywhere that you need some additional cooling.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnynewVlhO1qas7u4.jpg

Black Ice Cool Collar CCX-S

http://www.blackicecooling.com/

I have had two of these (for me and my bride) for three years, each with an extra cold pack
The phase change material works very well... and is easy to recharge in ice water (fastest) or the freezer.
The phase change material is encapsulated, so there's no dampness on your neck.
I think the price is right.

I hope this helps.

Alan Zenreich
07-22-2011, 11:47 AM
I just noticed that they have a little video review, might be helpful
http://www.blackicecooling.com/black-ice-video.html

Trevor Howard
07-22-2011, 2:32 PM
Like others Scott, my 'Shop' is in such bad condition and the funds are not available right now. The LOML and I are discussing moving in a couple of years. My only stipulation is to downsize the house and up-size the workshop. :D

Just checked local weather Temp 100 Heat Index 120 :(, Oh well I have some vinyl to do in the AC this weekend.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 3:13 PM
It got up to 104 degrees F, here today, I am sure the heat index is way over 115...........go outside and the heat just hits you in the face...........oppressive!

Nate Davey
07-22-2011, 3:51 PM
102F here with a low 45% humidity. Like an oven, why would anyone spend money on a sauna around here?????

Pete Jordan
07-22-2011, 5:35 PM
I just noticed that they have a little video review, might be helpful
http://www.blackicecooling.com/black-ice-video.html

Thanks Alan!

It looks great!

Jim Underwood
07-22-2011, 7:14 PM
I have never seen evaportive cooling vents...........but if they produce moisture, would they not rust things like tablesaw top, ways on the lathe, and other tools?

Wrong word Roger.

VESTS.

Chris Burgess
07-22-2011, 7:38 PM
Been hitting 98-103 pretty steady arounf here. The moisture off the gulf in unbearable. I change shirts everytime I come in the house. In the shop I open all the doors and windows and set up fans to keep the air moving. Not a lot of turning going on but that because I have been cutting up these burls I got recently. Actually had to throw a fresh green piece on the lathe and started a small 2x3 HF and was getting splashed.....it was quite refreshing :-). No matter what please be safe and stay hydrated. Around here you know you are sweating but in those dry parts it just evaporates. Lots of water guys, drink lots of water. I need y'all healthy becasue I have questions and y'all have the answers.......most of the time.

Roger Chandler
07-22-2011, 8:10 PM
Wrong word Roger.

VESTS.

uh oh........my bad! :o

Alan Zenreich
07-22-2011, 8:33 PM
Note that evaporative vests are pretty ineffective in high humidity situations.
That's why I prefer phase change vests and neck wraps.
I've explored pretty much all of the options out there for cooling, I even have a rig that pumps cold water through tubes that surround a t-shirt.
There are lots of approaches, some much more effective than others.

Peter Hay in Aus
07-23-2011, 4:56 AM
Quite cold over here but Mike in the porcelain bowl is the worst place to spend your time over here we turn on real lathes. Looking forward as the days slowly lengthen to complaining about the heat again.

When you get to my age in all weathers every day is sweet survival.

Kind regards Peter.

Mike Cruz
07-23-2011, 7:43 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. It was 72 degrees here in Maryland yesterday afternoon. Of course, that was right after a storm blew through with 60 mph winds and terrential downpours. Just before the storm, it was 102...

Kevin L Little
07-23-2011, 8:16 AM
My shop is in the garage, along with everything else... car,motorcycle, decorations, water heater. The temp is over 100 degrees with the heat index around 105. I would like to install a mini split ductless system in the garage but it's not insulated all the way around and drywall on the walls and ceiling. So insulating any further would be an issue.
So at this time, either I don't do any work out there or turn on fans.
My last shop I built had a 12,000 btu AC unit and a 28,000btu propane thermostat heater in it with insulation. Now that was nice. Maybe one day, I'll get that type of setup again.

Keep turning and stay cool.

Chip Sutherland
07-23-2011, 1:19 PM
My shop is the garage which is attached to the house. So I keep the door open except when sanding. I have a 3-speed 20" fan blowing on my back about 12' away. I can always move it closer and crank it up to 3. Frankly it's still hot. I went to class Thursday and the car therometer said 106. When I left class at 10:30pm it was 99. Couldn't tell the difference. What's a heat index anyway? Miserable being more miserable?